COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

I think these things must be relative. I can easily be on my patio into the 40s without a heater.

3 Likes

Do you have a link to what you got so I can check it out?

I can rock shorts into the high 50s sometimes. Four years in Syracuse and one in Maine will do that for you.

1 Like

Look at this, pricey but 46,000 BTU. I think pretty important to block the wind as much as you can. Like I said, I seemed to feel good vertical mixing which is probably key preventing aerosols from floating around at face level.

https://www.frontgate.com/commercial-patio-heater/802154?listIndex=0&offers_sku=114317%20MOC&SourceCode=ZZ51120&intlShippingCtx=US|USD&catargetid=120245420003085318&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKCAjwiaX8BRBZEiwAQQxGx69Hv3iPRN3m_FnARszXnbcQwHNu5xVy_vngdSuLTyeMbcMv0k3e9hoCbAkQAvD_BwE

1 Like

huge uptick in covid cases, like 10 or so, on my shift today.

6 Likes

It’s all about wind and humidity. Wet cold feels a lot colder than dry cold.

I do shorts into the 30s. Unless I need to be outside for hours with limited movement.

2 Likes

pretty sure that more humidity means it feels warmer, not the opposite. Not 100% though

ok that guy

4 Likes

I think it’s mostly a me problem. Just chilling on the deck is not something I’m into. I actually wish I was because our deck is pretty sick and it’s criminally underused. The only time we entertain out there is in the summer and there is no need. When it’s 40 degrees out, I just don’t have the desire to be out there, even if the heater could make it a balmy 75.

The heaters and entire deck setup were there from the prior owner. It’s not something I would have ever done myself.

2 Likes

sorry, but true.

1 Like

Wet heat is worse and I think wet cold is worse. But not 100% sure on the later.

1 Like

Research Shows Students Falling Months Behind During Virus Disruptions

The average student could begin the next school year having lost as much as a third of the expected progress from the previous year in reading and half of the expected progress in math, according to a working paper from NWEA, a nonprofit organization, and scholars at Brown University and the University of Virginia.

A separate analysis of 800,000 students from researchers at Brown and Harvard looked at how Zearn, an online math program, was used both before and after schools closed in March. It found that through late April, student progress in math decreased by about half in classrooms located in low-income ZIP codes, by a third in classrooms in middle-income ZIP codes and not at all in classrooms in high-income ZIP codes.

When all of the impacts are taken into account, the average student could fall seven months behind academically, while black and Hispanic students could experience even greater learning losses, equivalent to 10 months for black children and nine months for Latinos, according to an analysis from McKinsey & Company, the consulting group.

Uh, have you met many parents in America? The average adult here is a fucking idiot. A lot of you sound like wealthy educated people who think that type of home situation is normal. It’s not. Most children are getting a FAR superior education from a professionally trained educator. Not to mention that lots of kids don’t have a parent home at all, even now!

7 Likes

no this case is the shutdown in December. None of it rooted in any expectation, just how bad can it get, but its not going to grow the rest of the year. 5,000 dead a day will get peoples attention.

I partially agree, I just think nothing will stop people from gathering on Thanksgiving and Christmas, so that’ll cause some spikes even if we’re doing a decent job overall with curtailing growth in between.

Do none of you guys know how to life? 40 degrees is sweats, sweater, and big heavy blankie weather. I say that as a Cali boy( fuck Feinstein )

5 Likes

It’s a basic BTU calculation. You need to know the volume you want to heat and how many degrees you want to raise the temperature. I’m sure there are guides and calculators all over the internet.

1 Like

Even in a totally open environment outside?

This what a bunch of places in Minneapolis will be doing

Those things have been around for a long time. I’m sure somebody has figured it out with a helpful chart or calculator or whatever.

1 Like