COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

I thought that was ok these days, if not encouraged?

Dipshits in my neighborhood

Infuriating.

1. Read Wookie’s French Laundry review.

2. Last year I ate at a 2 Michelin star restaurant in NYC and holy shit, just incredible.

2 Likes

I get that (apples to oranges), and I was being slightly tongue in cheek. I’d be very tempted.

Confirmed!

4 Likes

would honestly appreciate any recs for restaurants/things in SF/Bay Area

My wife and I made a promise to each other that we would use some wedding gift money on a dinner at Alinea. Holy shit was it worth it. Now we just eat at McDonald’s lol, but we were ballers for a few hours.

8 Likes

I’ve had the tasing menu at Providence, which was amazing. It was definitely worth doing once. But I’d still for the most part rather eat a $9 bowl of amazing ramen or incredible street tacos or banh mi or something.

Sushi is the one thing I’m willing to pay $$$ for. I have Urasawa on my bucket list some day - sounds like about $600/person with drinks.

Precautions work, apparently. I spend ~10 hours/week in a shared office space with five other people, and have been on the receiving end of some good-natured flak for my mask vigilance

Every single one of them has pozzed sometime in the last few weeks. One of them missed work for a whole month.

I feel fucking great. Haven’t had the slightest sickness since March 5, 2020.

32 Likes

What do you like to eat, and what part of the bay area outside of SF?

I would like to see the Covidiot’s response to this point. I deleted FB and need to live vicariously through someone else.

1 Like

Alinea is sooo good! Try out Goosefoot when things get back to normal, that’s probably my favorite michelin star restaurant I’ve been to in Chicago. I don’t think Kai Zan has a star but they are on the guide and have some amazing sushi and Japanese food

I do feel like the euro Michelin star restaurants are a little better value than the ones I’ve been to here in the US but can’t go wrong either way and I don’t think I’ve been to any that have made me disappointed

3 Likes

I live a couple hours from sf, so just about anywhere.

I love Mexican food, Nate silvers burrito bracket in Chicago was amazing.

Love French/creole. Love lots of food tbh.

This is a bit different though. Basically I want to take a drive in, get a nice place to stay for a few days with my wife, and eat my face off at some fancy places then get drunk dressed fancy with my wife.

My experience with SF proper is limited. Had some good meals there, but usually casual fare. Our favorite two restaurants in the greater Bay area are LV Mar, in downtown Redwood City, and Angele, in downtown Napa. The former is an upscale Mexican restaurant specializing in seafood that’s the fanciest Mexican I’ve ever eaten and that is incredibly delicious and not all that baller. Don’t miss the pork belly and caviar tacos. It’s just down the street from the owner’s first restaurant, La Viga, which is the second fanciest and most delicious Mexican I’ve ever had, but in a much more casual atmosphere. Angele is a not terribly baller French restaurant overlooking the Napa river with tasty food and a constantly changing menu.

More casual still, we found some awesome ramen places in the peninsula and South Bay. Ramen Nagi in Palo Alto is divine but it’s always a really long line to get into. Hiro Nori in Santa Clara is only a small step down, and while they only have like 4 tables when we eventually get through Covid, their takeout operation was a well-oiled machine even before covid hit, so they transitioned smoothly as soon as takeout was re-allowed after the total shutdown in March. We got their takeout no less than biweekly.

3 Likes

Have a friend who got a meal for 4 comped at The French Landry because someone he was with witnessed a member of the kitchen staff (who turned out to be a pastry chef) absentmindedly kneading some dough, pause to stick a finger in his nose, then return back to kneading.

They checked in with the hostess and were waiting to be seated when the incident occurred. Two members of the party saw it so there was no doubt it happened. After a brief discussion about what to do, they decided to give up the reservation and walk away. They then went and told the hostess (without explanation) that they would not be staying and went to leave. As they were walking away a manager(?) approached to ask what the problem was. The manager couldn’t believe it and begged them not to leave and to identify who it was.

After some more discussion, they were made to feel comfortable enough to actually sit down as was planned. My friend reports that they expected maybe a round of drinks to be taken off the bill after all the conversation, but were obviously impressed when the entire bill was taken care of.

I love a hyper-expensive meal as much as the next guy but I have not been keen on going to the FL since hearing this story.

1 Like

Oh, I thought of one more. Back A Yard in Menlo Park is a Jamaican restaurant kinda in the ghetto but it’s amazing food. Their jerk chicken (dark meat, please) is good enough that I have a hard time buying anything else from them, but their goat curry and oxtails are also awesome. The jerk sauce is good enough to drink, no matter how spicy it is. They have a nicer offshoot in downtown Palo Alto called Coconuts, but I feel like the original spot in the ghetto is a more authentic match for the food, ya know? It’s close to Facebook HQ, and there’s some other tech stuff in the area gentrifying it, so it gets very crowded at lunch time, but you can call ahead, which I heartily recommend if you try it for lunch.

1 Like

isn’t Menlo Park the town with 3 million dollar 2 bed 2 bath homes? There’s a ghetto there?

Yes. Like, for Palo Alto, its ghetto is East Palo Alto, which is technically a separate city. It led the nation in murder rate a while back, and while it’s improving, it’s not exactly nice. I lived there for a few years under a slum lord who eventually got arrested for shooting out the car mirrors of his tenants to try to get them to move out so that he could jack up the rent (EPA is strongly rent controlled. Thankfully I had moved out by the time he was doing that, but I have my own horror stories). For Menlo Park, the portion on the east side of 101 and adjacent to the EPA is just as ghetto but still technically Menlo Park rather than being a separate city. West of 101, yeah, Menlo Park is really rich and safe. Although these days, the 3 milly 2bd/2ba homes may be the ones in the ghetto while the ones on the other side of 101 are north of that.

Zillow estimates the 4 bed 3 bath house behind that restaurant as being only about a million, but those are know to not always be accurate.