COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

Even in a totally open environment outside?

This what a bunch of places in Minneapolis will be doing

Those things have been around for a long time. I’m sure somebody has figured it out with a helpful chart or calculator or whatever.

1 Like

The human body generates over 25k BTUs of body heat.

3 Likes

I just have this style although not this one. I think mine is 48,000-50,000 btu so similar.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-48000-BTU-Stainless-Steel-Patio-Heater-NCZH-G-SS/302563841?g_store=3902&source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-28_20_FIREPLACE-MULTI-NA-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-BASE_SHP&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-28_20_FIREPLACE-MULTI-NA-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-BASE_SHP-71700000041073832-58700005683102062-92700051774823320&gclid=CjwKCAjwiaX8BRBZEiwAQQxGxzfts1X0x_Yia9LfofMUOZEG_rqvla2FlacR5sTgdWYzm46oJdmi6BoCWEwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like

Good.

And to hell with anyone who tells you to mind your own business. Their actions are endangering your life. That makes it your business.

1 Like

Look I don’t mean to shit on you, but no parent would ever post this. The long-term social and intellectual costs of keeping a small child in quarantine for months on end is blindingly, uncontroversially obvious to anyone raising a kid through this b.s.

8 Likes

I…agree? Can you say more.

Sure. Sorry, I thought you were disagreeing with me.

I thought Indiana went to Phase 5 Full Blast LOL Covid a while ago? Surely they won’t dial it back will they?

Kids absolutely get a better education in person – even with the disruptions – than they do from a dedicated distance learning program.

I understand your main point and agree. Being a joke country run by incompetent morons makes it impossible to have a good outcome. Agreed.

But something about the attitude here (not specifically you) really bothers me. We’re the side that believes in science and research and experts and public institutions. And here we have teachers and pediatricians and university researchers and child development experts and studies all saying that kids (especially poor kids) are getting royally fucked by distance learning. And many here are hand waving it away just like conservatives do when you show them evidence about covid.

It’s ok to believe the experts in both cases! Covid is an extremely serious problem. So is children not going to school. So, yeah, if you want to have a conversation about the costs/benefits of different bad options, sure, that’s fair game. This situation sucks and there is no good option. But you don’t need to take it a step further and pretend that distance learning is nbd.

8 Likes

Are you people using insanely wasteful space heaters outdoors in the 40’s? Buy a hoodie, my dudes.

Don’t even need a hoodie when you mainline these sweet burns

3 Likes

If you think I am the one who bought the space heater you would be mistaken. But they do work.

Poor kids are getting fucked no matter what in a pandemic. I know that isn’t very optimistic to say but it’s true. Their parents are by definition poor. They will be sent full force into the Covid meat grinder. The kids will bear a large portion of that cost.

It totally sucks which is the reason why most of us have gone insane pointlessly groupthinking this while our actual leaders have maskless 20,000 person rallies.

4 Likes

I’m sure it is some sort of big deal to distance learn for 6 months, I’m just waiting for someone to show that the “irreparable” damage will even come close to the effects of letting a pandemic rip through the population. Please note I am 100% for the Markey/Sanders whoever aid package that would reduce the economic effects. There isn’t a world where we close every school down and also don’t do an aid package, but I agree that this would be bad for poor people caught in late-stage capitalism if it ran out this way.

I’m sensitive to arguments that we are on the side of science. Quantify the costs for keeping children out of school for 6 months and compare them to the costs of keeping them in. So far all I hear are anecdotes.

To properly heat an outdoor space you need a permanent awning and a radiant heater, tube type preferred.

This type of heater is best:

These types are better for locations without a permanent awning:

The radiant aspect is critical. Basically it heats up a surface massively and then that projects heat at the nearest object–this works whether it’s windy or not.

The ones that actually have flames visible are useless by comparison. The heat by and large just rises, even if you try to direct it downwards.

It generally requires a bit of investment to get a commercial patio right. It would have been nice to have a government that was properly informing the public of the need to prepare for the winter, rather than wishcasting that the disease will go away.

Trump’s COVID denialism has fucked us in so. many. ways.

2 Likes

Are outdoor fire pits any good? Ugh, thinking about not seeing my friends all winter is making me anxious.

This is a very disingenuous view of what is being argued.

We understand that distance learning is not ideal, not particularly healthy, especially for higher risk students.

Unfortunately, we know too little about this disease and it’s long term affects on children. Are you willing to say it’s possible that getting pozzed may be more harmful than the poor effects of distance learning? And if the answer to that is yes, then I think it’s entirely foolish to rush to get back to school to change the effects of distance learning without knowing the long term effects of covid exposure.

We’re practicing an abundance of caution. Not being science deniers

6 Likes

I mean it’s not gonna make hanging out at a table comfortable, but it will definitely create an inviting outdoor space people want to hang out at.

The good thing about a fire pit is that as it gets colder, people will just get closer to the fire. If it’s too cold for your installed heater, people will be uncomfortable and there’s no way to improve it.

2 Likes