COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

They think its safe. There are numbers coming from somewhere, probably FB, that claim eating out isn’t that dangerous. I’ve haven’t seen them but an uncle, who is an engineer, relayed the info to me.

Interesting timing… I’m right now attending a live webinar about eye diseases in premature babies and the neonatologist who did the first presentation said that premature births in Latin America (in particular, in Mexico) went up from 10% to 19 to 35%.

And my wife is doing yoga in the backyard with her friend who is a neonatal ICU nurse so I’ll pop up and ask her if her census is down.

Edit: NICU nurse friend said they definitely are having fewer premature babies being born since the lockdown started. They don’t know why.

5 Likes

It’s been a while. SC still served mini bottles only at that time. Skewed our liquor#s very favorably so we could pound Calypsos out of kiddy cups after our dinner pop.

My experience is that these people suck, but that most people are pretty decent. Bitching about patrons is an American pastime for restaurant employees.

I had a small stint as a busboy at a country club in Arkansas. I was the only busboy who was white so that was definitely interesting. A longtime well known NFL referee literally screamed at me one time. I wasn’t even the server lol.

They had a lot of undocumented immigrants working there. Immigration made a case and cut a deal with the higher ups if they agreed to help apprehend as many as possible. They set up a lot of people; it was disgusting.

2 Likes

Walt Coleman seems like a dick.

Is ranch on pizza gross?

Me too, I was the computer lab manager at UVa’s undergrad business school and stayed the summer before my fourth year to work. I helped the director convert the lab from token ring to ethernet. Had to go into these tiny tunnels under the school to find cables he was dropping down. Literally went to the basement and opened a door to find a hole in the dirt to crawl through. It looked like I was finding the door to 1986 in Dark.

2 Likes

Looks like there’s a significant amount of ‘good’ news on this list. Testing is outpacing cases in Texas, California, Georgia, Arizona, North Carolina, South Carolina, Ohio, Mississippi, and the U.S. as a whole. We haven’t seen that in awhile.

Laptop. Carry it into the John.

1 Like

Wait I thought this was UP, this sounds like Letters to Penthouse. just making a joke Clovis

1 Like

Eh-the directional movement is good but still a lot of very big positivity numbers. At some point it can’t get much higher unless they only test highly symptom people.

What are the SDI closeups of the big 3- FL AZ TX? (CA is hard to read due to the massive geographical differences).

When I went to talk to them the conversation went like this: “Yeah, we’re seeing fewer babies born prematurely. BTW when we were doing yoga the dog pooped right next to friend’s yoga mat, that’s gross! … is premature baby poop gross? No, it’s cute!.. adult poop though, that’s pretty gross!”

Definitely no letter to Penthouse.

Not 100% on this source but here it is
https://twitter.com/inspiredcat/status/1285255439853199360?s=21

Was it Seinfeld or Curb where this happened?

Definitely. Although, in the case of the online poker example, I’m inclined to give women more credit than men on being classy enough to take a 2 minute break and use a bathroom when they’re at home… My first thought was to say the same about degenning in a parking lot like that, but, I think that might be a little sexist in a strange way. If a female poker player is passionate enough about trying to win a bracelet in a pandemic to play in a Whole Foods parking lot, that shouldn’t surprise anyone any more than this dude that did it… for better or worse.

I think we can give you a pass and chalk this one up to being a dad.

I admit this is a bit elitist, but I am just floored by the number of people who would rather go to Chilis or Applebees in like NYC, New Orleans, etc than explore some of the amazing local restaurants. I don’t mean to totally shit on those chains, most have one or two dishes I enjoy, but they’re always a secondary option for me if I can’t find a good local spot.

I think it has more to do with a fear of adventure/new things, too, because while you can certainly spend a ton of money on nice restaurants, you can almost always find good, affordable, local spots.

That I know of, my cousin and her husband have it. I don’t know him, but my mother’s ex-husband died of it. My ex was sick a few weeks back, she got tested, but it came back negative. She never really shook it and is now sick again. I know all this from Facebook, but we talk like once every two years, so we aren’t on good enough terms for me to tell her she should get tested again because she might have gotten a false negative or the swab might not have been inserted far enough into her gray matter.

So our governor (Tom Wolf, Dem) did a great job shutting things down earlier in our curve than most states did. A little luck to not have one of the first outbreaks, and just a good job overall. So those counties were forced into a level of compliance they might not have otherwise carried out.

In the time since there has been more personal choice involved, I know Philadelphia has been one of the best cities in the country for mask wearing.

I can count the number of times I’ve sent food back in my life on one hand. If something is badly undercooked or just the wrong meal all together, that’s automatic. Slightly overcooked, I’ll deal with it. Very overcooked it’ll depend on the food. Of course this should always be done politely.

That was exactly my point. If you don’t get the reference, it’s an old journalism story. Dog bites man, not a big story. Man bites dog? Well, that’s probably going on the front page, how the hell did that happen?

So if something “isn’t exactly man bites dog,” I’m saying it’s common place.

I walked around (masked) today at like 8pm to go do Instacart pickup from the grocery store. Lots of outdoor dining taking place at nearby eateries with not a ton of distancing going on. Tables are maybe 3 feet apart. Gun to my head, I think outdoors is safe regardless of masks or distancing. But i’m like 60-40 on it. In another week or two, if there’s still no spike in Philadelphia, I’ll be pretty confident in it. I’ll still probably wait until my weight is down to roll the dice myself.

Less stress for expecting mothers?

Totally agree with this. Just do so politely, which obviously anyone who’s ever worked in the service industry will do. Well, almost anyone.

Which one of you works at VU and named this?

Only thing better would be something that came out to WAAF.

Trip report?

I am curious about this. UP conventional wisdom is that we need stricter measures than what is happening in GA/SC/TX to get Rt=1 (to be clear, the rest of this post is analyzing the situation if those states are indeed flatlining, which hasn’t been established definitively yet).

• Why would NY/MA have been flatlining and not declining if their discipline and lockdown has been better than GA/SC/TX this entire time? They’ve basically been hanging out for 45 days now.
  • Have GA/SC/TX been significantly less reckless these last two weeks than the bunches of states that have grown worse? NV/IL/MN/WI, for instance.

One pessimistic possibility is that in the early stages of a new outbreak, the skyrocketing demand for testing is driven by a growth in real caseload of people with clear COVID symptoms. %positive rate surges.

But once the state starts posting consistent, fast growth, and people get scared, more people without obvious COVID symptoms will seek testing. Exposure, suspected exposure during a risky social situation, people getting worried about allergies or sore throat that absent media exposure of a new outbreak they would just ignore–there are lots of plausible reasons more people might seek testing. In raw numbers, we’ve seen more negative tests during this outbreak than we did before it. It must be happening.

Then, you begin to get non-monetary barriers to testing as tests have to get rationed somehow (even by delayed results). This probably scares away more likely-negatives than it does likely-positives. But how these variables interact is completely unknown, especially since we’re looking at a snapshot of tests from 2-14 days ago.

It might be interesting to look at “covid testing” google searches by location to get a handle of total demand? But this would probably only be useful as a comparative analysis. It’s impossible to tell what percentage of people who are symptomless exposed or mild/unlikely cases who go through with testing anyways, and how many people with clear symptoms are turned away from testing due to rationing.

2 Likes

110211329_2435330203426451_2557866884325244338_n

Australia - also the land of the free and the boomers!

Randomly spitting on the ground to own the libs!

When there is high case density the amount of informal contact tracing will drive a lot of testing. As in I was out to eat w Joe and Joe is positive so I should get tested. Happens a lot more when 1+% in you area are positive vs 0.1%.

Sense of urgency. I haven’t heard that since my days slinging drinks at The Super Group Alabama’s favorite hangout, Alabama Nitelife.

1 Like

@danspartan

SDI is a week behind goofy’s numbers, so the correlation to what I have the best data on would be using his last Tuesday stats, which I remember being bad across the board.

@goofyballer, are you able to repost last Tuesday’s numbers?

In the last measurement period, SDI was good for Arizona, with three weeks above target. Florida had been climbing, and reached its target 7/1-7/7, but dropped well below target in the last measurement. California’s been well below target for 8 weeks, so no end in sight for them. Texas is 3 weeks above target.