COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

In 23 years I’ve worked with 4 women on construction sites, all of them coworkers during my brief stint as a PM for an architecture design/build firm that was very non-traditional.

Those jobs all had porta-potties.

Those jobs also expected me to do structural steel erection with crews of inexperienced architecture interns, which usually involved me doing everything while they stared in terror at the crane flying in beams. The buildings got built and nobody got hurt. *flex*

4 Likes

Maybe stories about scaring young men with your stiff erections should go in another thread…

4 Likes

I just explained that some of them were women.

2 Likes

I’ve had her help pull wire and she’s going to help me haul debris at that bathroom I’m sorta doing. She’s been on a couple roofs, but I’m really too scared having her on the ladder and those were easy ladders. Thinking about her climbing up a 2-story ladder makes my heart skip a beat. I hope that’s being a parent and not sexism, but she’s a little on the sometimes-she-falls-for-no-apparent-reason side and most people are not good on a ladder. Back when I interviewed people, some of the interviews were on a roof and the first impression on the ladder disqualified some people.

4 Likes

U over estimate people and I think u lean towards the naive on this matter. Will the virus hit a point where we have 10 planes of white people under 70 dying should be your thought process. That’s their tipping point. People are immune to covid talk at this point.

There are 3 categories:
Hoaxers and freedom saving anti maskers
Diligent aware people like those itt. I put people that are going on w their lives but taking the simple precautions mapped out for them seriously in this category.
And then there are the people that are immune to any covid and just wanna stick their heads in the sand like an ostrich. That person will typically wear a mask w u, but won’t in the presence of a freedom fighter. They are sick of being sold. The right has succeeded in bombarding them w misinformation that their brains have over heated. It’s a similar concept to where a big law firm buries a sole practitioner w useless paper work slowing a lock case down.

Lastly, did u once have a bad experience at a chain restaurant lol. I notice u post about deplorables at Chilis. Red Lobster , TGI Friday’s etc . Misses Mike and I look forward to that part of your posting. Stay safe and tell your wife THANKYOU for everything she does.

1 Like

89 posts were split to a new topic: Dining Out Sucks (and COVID makes it worse)

For how long will they stay shaken? Are they taking any more precautions than b4?

BiL is now my closest (relationship wise, not locationwise) relation to get the Covid. My wife is really worried about him.

2 Likes

Does anyone here not know anyone that has/had COVID? I can think of 10 people off top of my head. But my family/friends mostly from NYC area. I don’t think the rest of the country realizes what’s really coming.

I pulled wire one summer - mostly in 100 year old school buildings - intercoms and fire alarms and stuff. That was the first job where I had to think. Every pull was a puzzle. I loved how fast the day went by compared to my usual monotonous labor jobs.

I still remember the frustrating early days when I sucked at pulling wire.

I know close to 50 including Misses Mikes parents who are in their 70s, but live very healthy. Her dad was on lockdown for months but gave in and went out for a couple afternoon pints to see his buddies and believes that’s where he got it. Both cases seem mild but they did lie to us about his fever which has now gone away. Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

I loved when we’d get to some giant tunnel and the experienced guys would whip out some crazy tool I’d never seen before - like the vacuum-mouse-leader thing.

Other times just wrapping your head around the topology was a brain teaser.

Ha, I also pulled wire (cable, usually–fiber-optic was a bitch) several summers in high school and enjoyed it.

1 Like

Mostly it’s just doing the conduit right so the wire pull is easy.

No one for me (that I know of).

Add me to the list. Installed Cat-5 for a hospital one summer in college. I thought it was relatively enjoyable work as well.

Not an option in 100-year-old schools.

I don’t know anyone who has/had it. But I have the good fortune to live in Canada and mostly know people who are both taking this seriously and privileged enough to not be seriously affected economically.

2 Likes

Yeah I pulled and was in charge of a bunch of college kids pulling cat-5. There were no conduits accept going into rooms. Most of it just got zip tied to ceilings.

Then I got put in charge of the punchdown crew which was much better than climbing in and out of ceilings all day…