COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Dude is carrying a fake rocket launcher?

Let me guess the live on in the gun thread is chiding everyone for not knowing the exact make and model of the rocket launcher.

2 Likes

Yeah same at CFAā€¦ Iā€™m the only one curbside and 13,500 in the drive thru lanesā€¦ probably too stupid to realize u can order curbside with the app and then have them put it in the trunk.

I no longer feel any guilt for all the stuff I horded in January.

1 Like

We are clearly not doing widespread testing and contact tracing, ever (best option). Weā€™re also clearly not doing lockdowns anymore (2nd best option). So weā€™re going to let it rip (worst option). Blue states with competent leadership might resist but they will run out of money and Mitch will cackle with glee.

3 Likes

We definitely split the baby and just left the entrails all over everything.

We have likely pursued the worst path of action, all things factored in, and it will continue to be such for a while. I absolutely think no clear and honest message from the federal government is where a huge percentage of failure exists.

Heck the dumb president and Vice President still will not wear masks even as everyone arounds them get sick. The best case scenario was mixed messages but the reality is the messaging has been wholly dismissive as the president has only been worried about his jobs and reelection. Lives have never played a role in his calculation.

And of course if any competent person were in charge we would have significantly more testing now which means we could start opening some stuff up while keeping a handle on it. Instead we have a president who claims every day some people say testing is not that important.

6 Likes

Yes. I agreed with you in my post above. We have taken the worst path. Just keeping everything open would have likely been better overall long term then the nonsense path we took.

Not ramping up testing in four months is craziness and should be a capital crime.

Really confused why you guys think partially flattening the curve and reducing the burden on hospitals is worse than taking no countermeasures whatsoever to slow this down.

10 Likes

Not sure if you knew this Rugby, but Donald trump says world leaders call him every day thanking him for the US leadership in this crisis and setting the model for the rest of the world to follow.

Yeah we hobbled the economy for no benefit against the spread of the disease. We are heading towards the worst of both worlds. Even if bodies start stacking up everywhere people are not going to accept another lockdown because we had one and it was completely wasted.

Because we are restarting it with a significantly higher base line of infected people.

1 Like

LA is doing ok - two friends got an appointment to get swab tested the next day, and got results back in 2 days. I went through the whole process - all you have to do is say you have symptoms.

Of course now Iā€™m in some database as having symptoms but never tested. FAKE NEWS!

My Dad said you can get tested in KCMO if you have symptoms.

I think thatā€™s about as good as weā€™re ever going to get in USA #1 where people wonā€™t even wear masks. Lol at them putting up with a swab jammed into their eyeball if they donā€™t want it.

I think that flattening the curve was good, based on the assumption that the post-flattening trajectory would be markedly different than what a YOLO trajectory would have been. But, given the seeming lack of progress in actually having a plan to deal with this, is it obvious that the, say, 6-month trajectory weā€™re facing now (with states opening shit up despite all signs pointing against it) is different from the 6-month trajectory we would have faced had we YOLOā€™d starting in February? Iā€™d like to think the answer is yes, but I donā€™t feel confident that it is.

Itā€™s not really a knowable question, I guess, but it would be nice to know that the economic carnage of a shutdown actually accomplished something. If, instead, it simply shifted the curve a few months, rather than flattening it, Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s mission accomplished.

3 Likes

You say that as if bring out your dead wagons wouldnā€™t hobble the economy anyway.

1 Like

Shifting it a few months shifts it closer to when we have a solution so yeah, even that helps.

2 Likes

We are going to hit herd immunity long long before there are 350m doses of a vaccine available to the USA most likely if we really never shut down again. The one thing spidercrab is alluding to but not outright saying is that the complete terrible response by the government has eroded any faith of a competent response to this. That has the cost of likely meaning we never shut down or have any widespread government action on this again.

2 Likes

New York has had success in bringing the infection and death rates down, while Illinois is stuck in a plateau. Why? Did NY lock down harder? Was everyone scared into staying in? I think Illinois locked down a few days earlier.

I think thereā€™s a common misconception here about what the ā€œflatten the curveā€ gameplan was supposed to accomplish. It was never a plan to stop the progression of the disease through susceptible people, it was merely a play to slow it down for a while so hospitals will have free beds for you when you inevitably get it. The curve is flattened, but the area under the curve (i.e., the number of people who get it) does not change.

Anyway, Dr. Amy Acton seems to think that this strategy has worked to some degree, and I trust her judgement. You can chuff about the economic damage of shutting things down, but what is the economic damage of our healthcare system completely shutting down?

4 Likes

Itā€™s so completely unknown. Possibly different strains, different host and different host responses, different lockdown measures, different climate, etc. etc. Epidemiologists are going to be studying the fuck out of this for decades.

What concerns me now is that the hospitals who havenā€™t been treating covid patients havenā€™t been prepping to treat future ones in case of future bigger outbreaks afaik, theyā€™ve been shutting down and laying off nurses and staff.

1 Like

Every hospital in this country has been treating COVID patients. They just donā€™t know it yet.

Well, at least Iā€™ll be comforted knowing Iā€™m dying of COVID in a hospital bed, rather than wishing I had a ventilator at home.