COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

New Florida resident seems to be settling in nicely…

https://twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1262397802052796416?s=19

3 Likes

I saw fewer people wearing them at the grocery store since reopen in Utah. Relatively affluent area.

Definitely seeing dramatically less masks and more crowded parking lots for bars/restaurants than from the start of getting OPEN FOR BUSINESS. Also saw jam packed little league fields last night with not even a bare minimum of effort of mitigation. One field had what appeared to be the entire team of kids, coaches and 20-25 parents huddled in a roughly 15x15 space doing some kind of a team meeting or pep talk.

I should have posted this yesterday, but still…people are dumb and have always been dumb. Everything old is new again and all that…

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/40-years-ago-last-moments-before-mount-st-helens-eruption-caught-on-camera/738277

The article is a pretty good summary of the days leading up to the eruption.

5 Likes

It was either Matt Yglesias or Ezra Klein who had a tweet months ago that that would be the case

3 Likes

March 12:

And I’m pretty sure other people said the same thing before me. UP ftw.

4 Likes

At the peak of the current curve (middle of April) we had averages around:

NY/NJ: 15,000 new confirmed cases a day
Rest of USA: 16,000 new confirmed cases a day

A month later in the middle of May we have averages around:

NY/NJ: 2500 new confirmed cases a day
Rest of USA: 20,000 new confirmed cases a day

NY/NJ: Still in lockdown
Rest of USA: OPEN FOR BUSINESS

14 Likes

What do we want? The capitalists out of our food chain!
When do we want it? Right fucking now!

I can’t stress enough that this pandemic is a once in a life time opportunity to do the right things. The time to take aggressive action is right now today. It’s literally now or never.

2 Likes

Literally all it would have taken is Trump setting an example by wearing a mask and not supporting the protestors. Literally any other Repubican, even Cruz, would have done the right thing.

It’s insane we got the one freak who is going to kill so many more people, largely his supporters - but also with innocent bystanders, than any other option.

3 Likes

Found the tweet, looks like his was made on March 26:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1243232607631966210

PU ftmfw. Nice.

3 Likes

It’s just so fuckin weird that this seems to be a partisan issue

4 Likes

If I lived within driving distance of The Villages, I would print a bunch of these and put them up all over the place on light posts etc.

1 Like

If anyone here lives in Florida near there we should pay them a bunch to go do it and get some good video. Put it on unstuck twitter and hope to go viral. I’ll gladly donate $200 to the cause.

5 Likes

Masks aren’t the be all and end all though. There are dozens of things any leader should have done at the federal level before mandating masks. If you were living in an area with very few, if any active cases I think mask wearing is more symbolic and an act of solidarity than anything.

Japan has 768 deaths total. Masks seem to be working for them.

1 Like

I’m not saying masks don’t work, but the goal should be to get to way fewer cases where it is not a necessity. Western cultures have been against wearing masks generally. The use of masks is obviously not as high in some Western countries that are doing well vs the virus vs Japan/Korea.

whelp, looks like Moderna might be full of shit. Who could have seen that coming? Vaccine experts say Moderna's Covid-19 data leave big questions

1 Like

Wrt the Tweets saying its all OK, why did we close… It was said here within hours of the pandemic being known in China nevermind here, by unstuckpoliticscom I believe.

I guess even a conspiracy prone nutter gets one right now and then.

Who was suggesting a Moderna conspiracy theory?