COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

This is made up

Even pro athletes? They seem insanely competitive, Michael Jordan is their idol.

Yeah the competitive part isn’t the made up part. Being competitive doesn’t make you a toxic male

1 Like

Yes, that’s true. I am probably generalizing too much. But even in a sport where the athletes are lauded as “nice guys” like the NHL, the stories of their hazing rituals in Junior, etc., are shocking. Maybe it’s a case of a minority of terrible people bullying and setting the tone for the whole environment.

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

I worked in pro hockey for a year, this was the opposite of my experience. Obviously there are exceptions.

Ive played both hockey and football, and hockey locker room talk is way worse than football. Oddly the higher the level the worse it seemed to be. I should mention there was an exception where the three NHL bound players seemed to rise above it compared to the middling players in the competitive leagues.
Shoutout to Jason Spezza being an absolute class individual. ( I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically)

I think you hear about people being dicks, but also a lot of things with stricter power structures are filled with people abusing their power. For example, film isn’t some hypermasculine field, but it’s still got plenty of abuse. Also, my wife tells these horror stories about her time in ballet that make me never want to let my daughter do dance ever.

1 Like

In sum: People are terrible. Bad call by God making Adam and Eve.

1 Like

Should have just gone with Adam and Steve and called it quits

3 Likes

Sorry I’ve already handed out 2 bestofs today. 10 :heart:

Disagree. Shoulda went with Amanda and Eve tbqh

What Japan gives its citizens with Covid:

2 Likes

BuT hOw ArE tHeY gOiNg To PaY fOr It?

In Ontario hospitalizations and ICU cases have held pretty steady since the end of March, slight downward trend if anything.

My assumption is that transmission is actually pretty high, but symptoms are relatively mild. More and more of my friends are resuming some social activities and more and more of them are reporting “I tested positive and had mild symptoms for a week and now I’m fine”. That’s of course very anecdotal but the fact that the available data on severe cases isn’t ramping up is good news.

It’s really hard to say. Some things we know:

1. The BA.2 sub-variant of omicron has torn through areas that have been affected by OG omicron, but it’s not clear how much of that is reinfections vs. just being more contagious and hitting people who had been sufficiently cautious up to that point.
  2. The US had a different omicron wave than Europe. We got hit by both OG omicron and the BA1.1 sub-variant at about the same time, and both coexisted until mid January, when BA1.1 started to outpace OG omicron. It’s been hypthesized that getting infected by BA1.1 offers better protection against BA.2 than does OG omicron
  3. BA.2 is here now and growing in its proportion of cases. It seems to be a fair bit more contagious than BA1.1 or OG omicron. I don’t think we have good data about severity or propensity for vaccine escape yet, or at least I haven’t read any.
  4. Cases are still going down nationally, and if the 7DMA of new cases is rising in any particular states, it’s pretty slight right now and could use another week to confirm, and it’s only in a few states (TX, PA, and NJ of the more populous states I perused. CA, OR, FL, GA, MI, NY, IL, and OH all still seemed to be going down).

So, it’s not impossible that while BA.2 takes over as the dominant variant, cases still keep dropping and eventually fizzle out for a while, at least until some much more distinct variant that has much more immune escape. Or we get another big wave of BA.2 that may have a lot of cases but omicron-esque levels of hospitalization and death, which isn’t all that scary for anyone except the immunocompromised and people are not yet able to be vaccinated, and people who care about those people.

1 Like

Also a lot of places are starting to fully lift restrictions. I wonder if this isn’t an issue for the US as much since we’ve been basically business as usual for a while now in most of the US. There’s an odd disconnect between the US and Europe that’s interesting.

No more vaccine esacape but hey, BA.2 is a few months later than BA.1 after vaccines… waning… more troubles, less good outcomes… many studies done (in places already gone or going theough BA.2 wave but none peer reviewed so too frightened to post them

Do USA’ers have a central place to report home tests? How many would bother reporting a positive home test?

It’s been impossible everywhere else

Even our Chinese friends who skipped the ‘inbetween’ waves don’t seem to be able to fend off BA.2

The World Health Organization (WHO) is currently monitoring the original Omicron variant, BA.1, along with several additional subvariants BA.1.1, BA.2 and BA.3.

1 Like

Want it straight from the WHO?

Your statement “There is no BA.1.1” is incorrect.