COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

I can’t fault anybody. I hate that some vulnerable are going to get hit (F the covidiots) but between government (in)action and the collective decision making to more or less live “normal”, no one individual decision is going to make any difference.

Just hope people actually stay home when symptomatic or someone in their household is. And for goodness sake stay away from the olds and vulnerables in their circle.

General idea is correct, need more bodies and parents organizing themselves to provide real, tangible support is what it would take to keep schools open.

You guys are both missing the point of what schools function in society is currently. Education is not the primary function.

Oh they’re definitely not doing that. See thread title.

1 Like

Agreed. Most people say childcare.

https://twitter.com/CalderwoodMD/status/1478584029574311948?s=20

https://twitter.com/CalderwoodMD/status/1478584038080364544?s=20

Sometimes I get the sense that Omicron is the feint and the real punch is coming.

If you’ve even played a game of Plague, Inc, this is the spot where you immediately activate all the lethal symptoms.

8 Likes

Then Madagascar shuts everything down. What difficulty makes people more likely to spread the virus?

If we get an Omicron with bad outcomes for the vaxxed then it’ll be as bad as the worst doomsday predictions on this forum in April 2020. Nukes!

2 Likes

They’ll do the same thing that the rest of society has been doing: change the rules and make the sick come in to work/learn anyhow.

Yeah that’s what I was saying earlier, unless we are gonna change the rules so going to school COVID positive is OK now I don’t see how this works

I do think, given this is the fifth wave and we are nowhere close to being able to operate hospitals normally, that it would be kind of good if society started planning as if there will be a sixth seventh eighth and ninth wave (then hopefully be pleasantly surprised!) instead of assuming that this time we defeated COVID. Because I think you are right, this is a tough situation, but it could get a lot worse.

2 Likes

French President Emmanuel Macron says he wants to “piss off” unvaccinated people.

Mr Macron said he wanted to make their lives so complicated they would have to end up getting inoculated.

In an interview with Le Parisien newspaper, he said unvaccinated people were irresponsible and not worthy of being considered citizens.

Definitely seems to be an out of fucks to give situation here.

14 Likes

Activating lethal genes before Madagascar, Greenland, and New Zealand are infected is a noob mistake.

4 Likes

Don’t have to imagine. Election campaigns here are two months at most and can be as short as 33 days.

The Northern Territory, a large region of Australia with less than 250,000 residents, announced a lockdown for the unvaccinated only, effective from one hour ago. Unvaccinated people cannot leave their homes for any reason other than medical treatments, buying essential goods and providing care - going to work not an acceptable reason. Vaccinated people can live normally, other than having to wear a mask. Businesses are to enforce the bar on unvaccinated people. The NT has the lowest double-vaxxed percentage of any region in Australia at 84.5%, probably in part because of the large number of remote Aboriginal communities.

3 Likes

Someday, enough people will have been infected and jabbed and acquired enough immunity that this is appropriate. Probably similar to the flu in that if you feel bad most people will stay home but no one freaks out about testing to return.

Yes, and hopefully sooner than later, but I’d be hard pressed to argue we are there now.

Atlanta just announced their updated COVID protocols. Highlights are 2x weekly surveillance tests, test-to-stay for close contacts rather than quarantine, plus only considering closing schools (on a school-by-school basis) if surveillance test positivity is over 5%. (Also they’re going to begin installing air purifiers in classrooms in February, which drew a scowl from me.) That framework seems completely workable to me. Conceivably there will be one or two shutdowns over the course of a semester (including maybe this month), but that’s not unreasonable if there’s actually a big outbreak going on.

Can someone ELI5 the Djoker situation for me (i.e., hopefully, you, ChrisV).

If I understand it correctly

Yesterday: It’s reported that Djoker got a medical exemption. Everyone seems to be saying that the basis for his exemption was that he got COVID.

This morning: Djoker shows up in Australia and finds that his assistant didn’t get the right visa to match up with whatever exemption he got. So even though he has an exemption, he can’t come in because of some bureaucratic reason.

Now: It turns out that Djoker never got the exemption in the first place.

Do I have it right, or am I missing something.

Actually, I had a very similar situation to Djoker when I went to Australia many years ago. My wife and I arrived at the Sydney airport and when we were going through immigration, it turns out that there was something not right with my visa. Wife’s was fine. We applied for them at the same time and everything was done the same as far as we knew (wife took care of getting both of the visas).

So, the agent explains that there is something wrong with my visa (I can’t even remember what) but wife’s is fine. Then he says I need to wait for some supervisor to come over and check things out. This all happens pretty fast – maybe 10 min. But in that short time, I’m freaking the fuck out. So, eventually supervisor woman comes by and says apparently they checked it out and whatever mistake was something they were able to fix, and so I’d be able to stay for the month that I had planned. I remember no details because the whole time I was worried AF that we would be sent back.