COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

Here’s my family’s recent experience with covid.
Last Thursday, my 8 year old daughter, who was vaccinated last November, didn’t feel well when my wife picked her up from school aftercare. She said she started feeling bad in the afternoon, but her teacher wouldn’t let her go to the nurse (wtf). Then she told the aftercare staff she didn’t feel well, but they didn’t call us to pick her up early (double wtf). When she got home she had a slight fever, but tested negative for Covid on a home test.
We kept her home from school Friday as she still had a low fever a now a sore throat. My wife stayed home with her while I went to work and our 4 year old son went to preschool/daycare. Friday night, we received an email from our daughter’s school that someone else in her class tested positive so we tested her again. This time her test came back positive. My wife, son, and I tested negative.
At that point, all 4 of us started wearing masks around the house and keeping our kids mostly in separate rooms. By Saturday morning our daughter was feeling much better but still had a slight fever. And by Saturday afternoon she was fine and has felt fine since.
Saturday and Sunday had nice weather, so we spent most of the time outside as a precaution. When inside, we had the windows open and ate in separate rooms. We continued to mask around each other through Wednesday. Our daughter continued to test positive for six days straight, while my wife, son, and I always tested negative. For reference, my wife got her booster last fall and got mine last July as part of the Pfizer study. Of course our 4 year old is not yet vaccinated. I figure we just got lucky as we were unmasked together before our daughter had symptoms and for the first day or so of symptoms. But maybe the masking and distancing helped. 🤷
It’s now been 8 days since our daughter’s symptoms and so far everyone else is still negative.

23 Likes

10 days here but no-one else in the 6 person faimly caught it, despite daily testing- even though the 6yr pozz (still) sleeps 6" from mum and dad (i slept elsehwere on the first night but thought we were all gonna get it anyway as we all share house together so went ‘bollox to that’ for the next 9 nights)

First test was a day too early. Not rare on home tests to be negative on report it’s in the household then pozz a day or two later. OMG, false positive, not. Just too ealry for a home test to register.

BA.1 more usual the whole family doesn’t get it (masks or no masks). If it were BA.2 then you had a lucky break / masked liked a champ!

Weird how covid goes around, or doesn’t

Hey, maybe kids don’t spread it ;)

Ok I laughed.

3 Likes

Who would have guessed that Tim Hortons would bee relevant to this thread?

Grandad’s everywhere were hiding from the grandkids, Dan. Like, it’s the grandad’s biggest threat. Covid generally kills the olds, whether they’re grandparents or not, funnily enough. We can be man enough to admit this 2+ yrs into the pandemic. If you have stats to prove that the +60’s were more likely to die if they had grandkids, let me see 'em.

? I don’t follow.

1 Like

Que?

I respect how you write “Tim Hortons” instead of “Tim Horton’s,” which would be wrong.

I regret “bee”.

Must live close to Canadia, eh?

With 2yrs history on the pandemic, simple maths should tell us whether an old with and who visited grandkids would be more likely to die than an old without grandkids. Alternatively, did more parents with kids catch it than peeps without kids? Did an unproportional amount of teachers cark it? Countries that contract traced / genone sequenced know the answers to this.

1 Like

Keep fucking that chicken.

Oh can you share that data?

Update: still sick but recovering, felt relatively better after a few days. thank god. lots of gunk/headache/mild fever, never had any oxygen issues.

She went to buy the oximeter for delivery when you suggested it, so thanks!

7 Likes

Number 1 Spartan son pozzed this weekend. His office took a team building trip to New Orleans.

Mild so far.

3 Likes

how serious is covid recurrence?

Sure seems like COVID is well on its way to being endemic.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-01240-x