COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

Jesus C, the people around me think that face masks can be shared!

Ummm, what? Like how do they think that works?

Not being able to get testing unless you are at deathā€™s door seems to be the status quo for most of the country anyway, regardless of immigration status.

1 Like

https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/569636572.html

He warned that Californians should prepare to enter a radically different realm where residents continue to wear masks, and where they may be greeted at restaurants by waiters wearing masks and gloves with disposable menus in venues that have half as many tables. Local school officials would develop new protocols, he said, for physical education classes and recess at schools, as well as processes to deeply clean and sanitize schools, parks and playgrounds to keep infection rates down.

Gavin Newsome with a preview of what re-opening might look like. This is about what Iā€™ve been expecting - no bars, no concerts/spectator sports - maybe nail salons and gyms with some kind of crazy rules - maybe not.

I could see people going out to a restaurant once, feeling uncomfortable and slightly paranoid all night, and then just deciding to get takeout again thereafter. Itā€™s going to take a conscious effort and will to re-goose the economy or something to put yourself back out there.

1 Like

Like my mom asked if the face mask I was using was still on the counter there so the occasional caretaker can fucking use it. I donā€™t know how the hell that is supposed to work, but Iā€™m not losing track of my face mask.

My wife has had upper respiratory symptoms (mild) and a slight sore throat since this weekend. Sheā€™s been isolated in our spare bedroom. I have no illusion this will keep me or the kids from getting it, but enough people on this thread talking about the importance of viral load have convinced me that it still might be helpful.

1 Like

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/492755-us-may-have-to-keep-some-social-distancing

I might need to stock up some more.

1 Like

ā€œTheyā€ have supported expanding voting for a long time. Everything doesnā€™t relate to Bernie Sanders, dude.

7 Likes

Interesting, I wouldnā€™t have guessed that about obesity, but then again, Iā€™m not hanging out in the Bronx when I go to NYC.

Wow.

Also, put that thing in a paper bag labeled with your name and give it a few days minimum between uses or you could just contaminate yourself with it.

Probably degrades it to a large degree, but I wash it with a little soap. It seems to hold up pretty well though.

Times like this you need a good old-fashioned menstruation shed.

Start calling your spare bedroom the menstruation shed and see if your wife gets a kick out it.

My Dad is from Queens, but my parents moved to KC when I was in utero. Everyone in my Dadā€™s family is dead from cancer or heart attack - most before age 70. Heā€™s pretty healthy for 78. Really makes you wonder about environmental factors.

Yeah, restaurants that canā€™t figure out how to become profitable using a takeout model are all going under and none are coming back until after there is a vaccine.

Did Michelle Obama voice an opinion about the primaries? Regardless, you need to come up for air. Not everything is a plot to undermine Bernie. The Dem party has supported expanding voting access for at least a decade.

Bernie was never that big of a threat, dude. You need to get over yourself. Bernie is a great, effective champion for left policies, but a mediocre to poor politician.

1 Like

This is just wrong. Democrats have been trying to push for universal no-excuse absentee voting, early voting, ending voting restrictions, for years. Coronavirus has just given them possibly some more ammunition when arguing for it.

Moscow seems to be hitting the ā€œcanā€™t hide it anymoreā€ phase.

I know everyone pooh-poohs my temperature hypothesis (+population density of course) - but if there was a way to bet on Moscow getting absolutely Italy-level hammered, I would have. Not taking it seriously enough, early enough, seems to be the other big component.

Meanwhile, in North Carolina (contains a shocking twist)ā€¦

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article241999131.html

More than 100 protesters rallied in downtown Raleigh to reopen North Carolina on Tuesday, describing Gov. Roy Cooperā€™s stay-home order as an unconstitutional overreach that will kill the stateā€™s small businesses.

At least one protester, Monica Faith Ussery, 51, of Holly Springs, was charged with violating the executive order.

ā€œI have a right to peacefully assemble,ā€ she said as officers led her away, her hands bound with a zip tie. ā€œGod bless America.ā€

Every 15 minutes during the protest, roughly 50 cars honked their horns in unison.

As a Raleigh police officer asked several protesters to keep 6 feet apart, the noise drowned out his voice.

ā€œWe are in violation of Comrade Cooperā€™s order,ā€ said Leonard Harrison of Mebane, dressed in an American flag shirt. ā€œIf I get locked up today, Iā€™m OK with that. As North Carolinians, we need to get back to work.ā€

ā€¦

The protest was organized by ReopenNC, a private Facebook group organized last week that wants people to make their own stay-at-home decisions to avoid exposure to COVID-19 as the worldwide pandemic continues. The group surpassed 28,000 members on Tuesday afternoon.

The ReopenNC group has said it plan to hold weekly rallies on Tuesdays to encourage Cooper to end the restrictions by May 1. One of the groupā€™s founders is Ashley Smith, a Morganton mother of four who has previously posted on social media about her opposition to vaccinations for any diseases.

ā€œI am against mandatory vaccination,ā€ Smith said in an email to The News & Observer on Monday. ā€œThat is a personal right and as a sovereign citizen I have the right to choose what medical procedures I and my children receive. Pandemic status/state of emergency doesnā€™t change that.ā€

1 Like

UK Biobank: DNA to unlock coronavirus secrets

Itā€™s the pandemicā€™s big mystery - why coronavirus affects people in so many ways, from those with no symptoms to others who need intensive care.

Now scientists are turning to UK Biobank to find the answer.

The project, which has collected genetic material from half a million people and followed their health for more than a decade, will also track those with Covid-19.

Scientists will be searching for variations in peopleā€™s genetic code. They want to see if there are differences that make it easier for the virus to enter cells and to examine how genes affect the immune response.

The hope is this work could identify those most at risk of coronavirus - and help in the hunt for new treatments.