Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The US government here has broad powers to impose and enforce quarantines, according to several films I have seen.

At a limited scale sure… notice that we have a bunch of American citizens confined on military bases right now. But there’s probably a metric fuckton of paperwork involved, and when this thing goes super wide they aren’t going to be able to lock every single case down, particularly since they won’t know about 75% of the infected.

China’s response was hamfisted and stupid and has been widely criticized.

1 Like

If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you.

I have a good idea. Let’s instead rely on captains of industry to set policy. That has gone extraordinarily well these past 40 years or so.

7 Likes

This is such an astoundingly dumb response. It’s the same thing I was getting in the lolcanada thread as if being an expert in something is somehow bad. It’s the EXACT same dumb worldview you like to mock on the right about climate change.

Social is an expert in logistics. He is giving you good intel and your response is “who cares about profit” and “fuck capitalism”

It’s completely childish level thinking.

Thanks god you don’t set policy!

Sorry I’m grumpy today.

That’s complete bullshit. His expertise in logistics provides jack shit of worthy insight into how this situation should be approached. And he’s talking in absolutes and putting words in peoples mouths.

1 Like

Ya fuck experts.

You’re fucking dense. It’s not fuck experts. It’s fuck “experts”. You know, “experts” like oil executives setting environmental policy.

• I don’t want oil executives setting environmental policy

• I don’t want scientists setting environmental policy

Same thing, right?

Everybody uptight today for some reason.

1 Like

That’s my mentality. Dabbled in an unmanaged index fund in December. Up slightly since then but I probably don’t want to look at it now. I’m too young to worry about the short term. Just gotta stick with it and hope scientists and doctors can figure this shit out.

Is there a lot of paperwork? Seems like those planes got here and CDC was all OK you guys are going to stay here for a 14 day voluntary quarantine. Then one guy on the Wuhan plane said no thanks I’m leaving and the CDC was all like if you leave we will shoot you and then they announced it was doing a voluntary quarantine for 174 people and a mandatory quarantine for one person. If there is a city that has thousands of cases I think the CDC could similarly order “Contagion”-style isolation of cities and states if they deem it necessary.

Probably because we’re all about to die.

2 Likes

Whelp…looks like it’s time for me to order that Borat-style swimsuit…

1 Like

lol as if anyone is arguing for that.

Closely rubbing your face and body up against professionals who rub their bodies against tourists from around the world sounds like a bad idea until you see in person how hot they are

4 Likes

You’re been arguing that a logistics expert (who is admittedly coming off a bad year and is concerned about his already low margins) is providing expert advice on this here virus issue and I’m an idiot for discounting it.

I’m just going to stop responding to you on this subject now, as I’ve seen how you operate and nobody needs this to go on for another 3 weeks…

11 Likes

Dow is down almost 1k

1 Like

Good news, we are running a smaller than usual deficit and have all the monetary tools necessary to lower rates to stave off a recession all fucked.

15 Likes

My local CVS had Corona virus signs up today.