Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Is it just me, or do all these virus scares all seem to originate from China (aside from Ebola)? Why is that?

I also call bullshit on China’s death reports so far. There are videos coming out of hospitals with bodies stacked in hallways. There is no fucking way that China is shutting down entire cities without it being far more than 40 deaths.

3 Likes

Parody account but I read that they did close their border completely with China. Given that, in 3 months DPRK may be the only country in the world that actually is free of this virus.

The rate at which infections/deaths occur and how this is spreading is disturbingly similar to a okay game of Plague, Inc. I guess that shouldn’t surprise me, since the game was based off of epidemiology modeling, but still.

The big mistake the disease is making here is killing people way too soon and getting the attention of the scientific community. Everyone knows you wait until it’s spread worldwide before you drop the hammer and evolve lethal symptoms.

Dense population centers, lots of human/livestock interactions. Great stuff for diseases. Also it’s like 1/10 of the world’s population so just by random chance you expect lots of diseases to start there.

3 Likes

They certainly don’t have the resources (nobody does in instances like this) to make sure all those people have that virus first before making it all official.

Because 1.4 billion people live there, a significant amount of whom live in urban environments.

Yeah, you are never winning Plague Inc. when you’re at a 4 percent mortality rate with just 1600 people infected.

well we’re already over 2500, it’s moving fast (sorry googling quickly got me 2k for an “official” number, but that was morning I guess)
worse news, it’s already killed in shanghai.

I mean the R0 of SARS was between 2 and 4 and the mortality rate was around 10%, but after control measures were introduced, the R0 was reduced to 0.4. R0 without any context is a little meaningless because it depends how easily control measures can be introduced. For example:

If that’s true, then it’s a massively bigger problem.

2 Likes

We should be adding America to the list of countries with inadequate medical care to help contain this.

8 Likes

This isn’t a once every year or two scare. This is way worse than the Ebola scare. Ebola’s extremely high fatality rate is actually helpful, it kills too fast and tends to burn out. This thing’s mortality rate is much more dangerous and can lead to far greater raw numbers of deaths.

In my case, CNY wasn’t that bad for me in Wuhan. I was invited into festivities with a local family as the token foreigner (I taught their daughter English privately for a year up to that point). I think they just wanted to stare at me and be amused by my whiteness. Of course, if I was alone or just with foreigners then it would suck a lot no matter where I was.

That said, it’d suck a lot less in Beijing or Shanghai.

It’s pretty amazing how quickly Wuhan has developed since I left there in 2012. The street outside where I lived was muddy and filled with trash. The street was lined with a bunch of people selling knockoff clothes and street food. Based on pictures, it looks as though it’s part of the city and not some rural area the government claimed as Wuhan just to bump up its population. The metro even reaches out there now.

Also ridiculous to me that we continue to have a travel ban against Muslim countries because they might have terrorists when this thing could kill more in America then 10,000 Osama bin Laden’s. I’m not saying we’re at travel ban from China territory yet, but it would make a lot more sense than a travel ban from Libya.

From the other forum I post on (Disboards): Shanghai Disneyland shut down indefinitely 2 days ago. Hong Kong Disneyland shut down indefinitely today. There are rumors amongst Disney cast members that they are going to shut down face character meet and greet at parks worldwide.

Not a thread to open when your baked.

12 Likes

"Fairfax County Public Schools has confirmed with FOX 5 that the students will no longer take part in classes at the school, which were supposed to begin Wednesday, and they will not stay with host families in the area “out of an abundance of caution.”
Instead, the students will stay at hotels until Feb. 3, and visit tourist and cultural sites.

3 Likes

I hope you’re right, but this one feels different.

1 Like

So looks like we got

[x] Antichrist
[x] Plague
[ ] Jesus?

fingers crossed

4 Likes

Anyone seen specific description of the symptoms? Anything other than any other flu?

If you die, it’s probably the scary Asian flu. Otherwise, it’s probably. the regular flu.