Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Is it a hate crime if I make shakshuka with mozzarella instead of cheddar?

lol what? why would there be cheddar in it to begin with?

1 Like

I ran out of feta.

1 Like

i would say mozz is probably a better fit than cheddar anyhow, if you must have cheese in it. i would go neither.

I think people are limited by trying to copy shakshuka authentically. The basic idea is that you can poach an egg in something other than water or a similar liquid. That can mean poaching an egg nestled in ramen noodles or it can mean poaching it in marinara sauce, gumbo, or anything with the consistency of a stew. Kulajda is a creamy Czech soup that often has a poached egg. Changua is a Colombian soup with poached eggs that is served for breakfast.

Here are some ideas I just made up now that may or may not work.

Eggs Neptune is a variation on eggs Benedict using crab instead of Canadian bacon. Imagine a creamy crab soup with some lemon and other ingredients that give a bit of the flavor of Hollandaise, served with a poached egg in the middle and maybe some English muffin bread on the side.

Or instead of serving a fried egg on top, what about finishing chilaquIles by poaching an egg inside of the sauce?

Can you use gravy as a poaching liquid for a variation on loco moco?

There must be some curry dishes that can be enhanced by cracking an egg into them.

5 Likes

i mean def that. there are great version of “green shakshuka” which is basically eggs poached in something similar to a leaner version of spinach dip.

I"ve already tried making it in a curry and also I think I posted that poaching eggs in marinara is basically the Italian dish uova in Purgatorio.

Huevos motulenos but poached in a cooked salsa sound great right about now.

When you can make me shakshuka with an egg that’s over hard or scrambled, then call me.

I can’t do poached or over easy/medium because of the texture. I just can’t. Sorry shakshuka fans, this is one kid who won’t be riding that train.

I can’t believe I supported for moderator a person who doesn’t like runny egg yolk. I’ve brought disgrace upon myself, this forum, and my family.

5 Likes

:nauseated_face: :nauseated_face: :nauseated_face:

You could definitely get the same flavor profile by making the sauce and then stirring in some beaten eggs. Or, just drop the raw eggs in and let them cook longer (with the lid on so that the tops cook more quickly).

You can make it with scrambled eggs. Or you can just make menemen.

1 Like

Has anyone ordered any wagyu online here? If so from where and what did you order?

Hard yolk is like a well done steak. Why bother. :grin:

2 Likes

That’s not real waygu though. I think only a couple places in North America sell the real stuff. The American stuff isn’t even the same breed of cattle.

fine i made shakshuka for lunch.

Sadly my girlfriend feels the same forcing me for 20 years to cook two different eggs temps.

if it makes you feel better, with me it’s not just eggs. I have an issue with “slimy” food in general. Like raw oysters. :nauseated_face: Slimy isn’t really the right way to describe it, but I can’t really think of a better word.

I think the better approach is to broil at the end for a few minutes to tighten the eggs.

1 Like