Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Yeah, I was hungry and didn’t have much in the house to go with short ribs. Blaming the time change for throwing everything out of whack. Also, a half cup of demi glace is kind of a lot for a single plate of food. Just for future reference.

What did you do for the demi glace? And searing short ribs before the slow cook is super easy, takes a few minutes per side in the cast iron with some high smoke point oil in it. My wife puts short ribs in a lot of recipes and man are they a delicious meat.

I use this stuff:

I prefer after so I can get some crust. I made 4 servings, and the other 3 will get a proper sear when I heat them back up.

Made me some chili. From-scratch chili powder. Nothing terribly special, just love to make slow-cooked cowboy chili on a fall day.

3 Likes

Testing over on 22 showed that searing prior to sous vide wasn’t worth much. It can be done, but it sorta gets lost in the rendered water. Maybe it is worth more if you are making a sauce from the bag contents.

1 Like

To stew is human, but to cassoulet, divine.

5 Likes

Should be against forum rules to post this pic without an accompanying recipe :grin:

That just looks sick good! Is that REAL Texas chili? I thought authentic Chili isn’t supposed to have beans, etc. But I like a more bean than ground beef chili. Haven’t had it in a while. I also heard some chili masters put a little coffee or even chocolate in their chili. I’d love a good chili recipe that cooks all day

2 Likes

I ain’t gonna debate with anyone who knows how to use a Weber kettle the way it was intended and create multiple heat zones for indirect cooking and smoking. But I thought you were suppose to sear first to seal in the flavor and then slow cooked or smoked?

I wish I never discovered this section of UP

Are we gonna turn this into a beans vs no-beans flame war?

The “sear first to seal in the flavor” trolling might be worse.

exactly. That searing also seals in the juices is just a nice bonus.

1 Like

Fyp

You’re saying I’ve been lied to my whole life? This feels like the moment a classmate told me there’s no Santa. Completely ruined my entire freshman year

1 Like

Breakfast is also not the most important meal of the day.

1 Like

So I’m still fine-tuing it but it is

Chili Powder:

3 ancho chilies – dried and toasted
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1 clove garlic

Grind it up into a powder

Chili:

1 lb stew meat
1 onion
1/2-1 bell pepper
1 can of your favorite beans, washed
1 can of diced tomatoes, pureed
1 can of beef broth
the chili powder you just made ~3Tbs I think
plus 1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2-1 tsp dark cocoa powder
salt N peppa
plus 1/2-1 seranno pepper if you want it extra spicy

Brown the meat in olive oil for ten minutes to lock in the flavor, remove from pot.
Saute the vegetables for 10 minutes.
Add the meat and all the other indredients into the pot, cover, and cook it on low heat for ~3 hours while you watch a movie or play video games. You can adjust the thickness by removing the cover and letting some of the moisture boil off.

2 Likes

Wow thanks for posting the recipe! I’ve honestly only ever had ground beef chili before. This looks authentic. I might try this next Sunday if I get the chance. I do think chili should have a kick so will definitely be adding the Serrano pepper

1 Like

lol I’m from the Midwest, I can’t claim any kind of chili authenticity.

As I understand it, the point of chili, like all stews, was to make tough/gross bits of beef edible by slow cooking them. So I suspect ground beef chili is a modern thing.

1 Like

According to the internet, ground beef chili has been around since the 1920’s, which is pretty old by American standards. So I’ll say it’s legit.

My neighbor passed away, so I made some chicken soup and matzoh balls for his wife on Monday. I tasted it before I walked it over and I’ll be honest, I was a little disappointed I had to give it away. I also felt really guilty thinking that.

I didn’t make the matzoh balls from scratch. Grew up with the boxed mix and always liked it. I did at least cook them in broth instead of water.

5 Likes