Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Vegan butter is essential as a butter substitute for baking. You need something with similar properties around oil/water mix and melting. Vegan croissants for example have to have vegan butter.

For melting into a hot sauce it seems like fancy play syndrome.

Not going to lie I’m a little nervous I’m going to mess this up lol. Hopefully I didn’t over salt it. Seems hard to over salt 12 pounds of pork though.

2 Likes

Looks great, and I’d bet on it being undersalted, an easily solved problem after you taste it.

Cut the shit out of my fingers doing the knots. Fairly certain I would die in the woods because I couldn’t tie a god damn thing if I needed to.

3 Likes

This is chasu for the ramen?

I like where your heads at!

The trick is fewer knots:

1 Like

Wait, it isn’t chasu?.

What are you making?

Scroll up for brief porchetta discussion.

Got it, thanks

Nice work!

Tip - trim down the excess string (above the knots) so you don’t develop needless tan lines on the skin when roasting.

I did post picture. Appreciate the tip though!

Nailed it.

5 Likes

Crust looks amazing. How tender was the meat? A bit too chewy, too tender, or just right? And how was the coriander and the salt?

1 Like

The meat was fantastic. I basically divided the room between who wants fat and who wants lean. The belly gave a perfect amount of both. If you wanted fatty, chewy, tender, in the middle, it had everything.

I did 2 tablespoons of coriander compared to the 3 of the fennel and it was perfect. I definitely didn’t oversalt it.

Lessons learned: rotate the belly 30 degrees each way to crisp up the skin on the sides. The top of it tasted like an amazing chicharrón. The sides were a little leathery.

I have 4 pounds frozen that I’ll make some slight adjustments to. For $7 a pound I can’t recommend the recipe and method enough.

1 Like

I didn’t have a serrated knife so I had to use a chefs knife that needed sharpened. Don’t judge.

Oh the humanity!

Looks like a great Halloween spread.

1 Like

Made this with chicken broth instead of beef or veggie because that’s what I had on hand. Still tastes good

1 Like

i’ll get flamed but chicken bone broth >>> beef broth >> veggie