Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Yeah, the reviews on this sound pretty compelling. I might have to give it a shot if you like it.

Not sure I’ve seen lamb belly.

Also not sure if that flavor works in ramen. Sounds like something to experiment with.

Unless you really like cooking, I don’t see how home made can be worth it if you’ve got good Ramen joints around.

The 2 ramen joints in my town are just average :frowning: .

Don’t you live close to Seattle? There have to be good Ramen options there.

An hour with no traffic. We’re not in Seattle that often these days.

We did get ramen the last time we were there a few weeks ago when we saw Hamilton.

2 Likes

Well if it’s two hours round trip, then I’d shoot for making it at home as well.

1 Like

does cooking anchovies end up differently than just adding fish sauce? id rather save them as a topping.

I think you can substitute them, the flavor won’t be exactly the same but the serve the same basic function in a dish (add umami). Kind of like when you need to brighten a dish with acid, if the recipe says put in a squeeze of lemon you are probably going to be able to get away with a splash of some other kind of citrus juice or vinegar and it will “work”, but probably taste a touch different.

I do it all the time. If you want enough that it’s just a je ne sais quoi umami flavor, they’re basically interchangeable. If you are actually supposed to distinctly taste anchovy or fish sauce, then, sure, don’t.

Curiously, I had been using Worcestershire sauce for years as an add-in for my red sauces without realizing it contained anchovies. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Thats why in some stores you can find vegan W-sauce. Vegans aren’t supposed to eat real W-sauce because of the anchovies.

A scene from Seinfeld:

Elaine: [yells something at a person wearing fur]
Woman: Jeez, are you a vegetarian?
Elaine: I eat fish.
Woman: You’re a hypocrite!
Elaine: Fish don’t have feelings!

I might add some hominy to Kenji’s chicken chile verde. But I’ve never used hominy. I’m doing this in an instant pot. Should the hominy be cooked with everything else at the beginning or thrown in towards the end?

When I use hominy I throw it in closer to the end. I dont know if it will disintegrate if cooked too long, but assuming you are using canned hominy then it is already fully cooked and really just needs to be warmed through.

That’s what I figured but wasn’t sure.

And yeah, canned hominy.

I’ll give a TR on Kenji’s chicken chili verde over the weekend.

If it’s canned, it’s prob cooked? So toss it in at the end. If you blast it on high pressure for 20 mins or whatever, it’ll be mush.

IMO

Feels like this discussion is a bit add hominy

3 Likes

Just a few. You don’t want to overdo it.

1 Like

Kenji’s chicken chili verde is a little flat. Any suggestions to liven it up?