Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Do you know Indian people in the UK? I think it’s popular there across the entire population.

We’d be better off if we made “authenticity” like the n-word: white people should use it.

My best friend from HS is an Indian who lives in the UK. I’ll run it by him the next time we talk. I know a couple of others. They’re vegetarian, so I’m sure they don’t make it at home.

I’d say my informal survey was predominantly Americans. But a couple of those used to live in the UK.

1 Like

@zikzak posted 25% somewhere on unstuck before. I was surprised it was that low. I didn’t fact check it, though, but he may have even posted a source, and if he didn’t, I’m sure he had one. Also not 100% sure I remember it correctly .

Also, I guess the vegetarian analog would be paneer tikka masala. So I guess asking that to the vegetarians would be close to equivalent. I will include this in all future tikka masala discussions.

Yeah, I can’t believe that literally all the Muslims were partitioned into or moved to Pakistan, so there’s no way India is over 90% vegetarian. Only 25% would be pretty surprising if you’re remembering correctly.

Looks like it’s closer to 20%.

1 Like

This map is a little old but I thought the distribution was interesting.

1 Like

20-30% of the people being vegetarian seems extraordinary to me. India isn’t all Hindu and not all Hindus are vegetarian. If we could get 20-30% of the global population to go veg the impact on climate and health would be extraordinary.

Convert everyone to Hinduism.

Well the far-right in India is trying…

Eventually, the carbon footprint of meat is going to be reflected in the cost. Eating meat will be cost prohibitive for the majority of the population in the future.

1 Like

What is currently 8 quarts of chopped tomatoes will soon be Smoked Tomato Jam.

3 Likes

Thermometer out of calibration?

1 Like

That looks like 117-120 F meat to me in the center, not 135. It won’t kill you. I prefer my tenderloin rarer than NY strip or rib eye.

This is a better steak chart:

1 Like

I would guess that she didn’t stick the thermometer all the way into the thickest part of the tenderloin, and that’s why some parts may be too raw. The piece on the left looks a little on the rare side but fine otherwise. The piece on the right definetly needs at least 10 extra degrees.

Also I would take that temperature doneness chart and burn it in a hot fire. Medium rare should be 125F-135F.

Final comment is to use this recipe instead: Slow-Roasted Beef Tenderloin Recipe
(when in doubt regarding steak, I Google "steak cut + kenji*)

2 Likes

With beef tenderloin or a filet steak, I’ll order it rare and as long as it’s not cold inside, it’s good for me.

As long as it’s a quality piece of meat, you could eat what you showed and be fine.

The piece on the bottom left looks totally fine. The top right might be a little blue for me, but I’d still destroy it.

Just pour Béarnaise over it next time and don’t think about it, lol

2 Likes

I encounter a similar problem from time to time. I just assume that where I stuck the thermometer wasn’t actually the coldest part of the roast.

I suck at measuring meat temperatures with the thermometer. Often I will get huge differences by just having the probe enter at a different position and angle (but tip is roughly in the same place). And don’t get me started on birds. I can’t get an accurate reading on a chicken or turkey to save my life.

1 Like

Also, Thermapen One is on sale right now, so if you don’t have one, it’s the best.

Sounds like a good idea. I’ve got several different ones. All had good amazon reviews, but none was a pricey as a thermapen. Maybe that will solve the problem.

Thermapen One is very fast and precise, but, outside of a sous vide set up, you’ll basically always be dealing with a temperature gradient inside of whatever you’re measuring. So, subtle movements can change the reading a lot. So, you can take multiple readings, looking at different depths of the same poke and at different pokes. For chicken cooked at 400+ F, I generally focus on getting a minimum temp of 140 F, because that’s generally safe enough, and most of the bird will be a totally safe 160+ if the very minimum part of the breast is 140. For a steak, you want to drag through it and sorta eyeball an average of your target temperature, usually 120 F to 130 F, depending on cut and preferences.

1 Like