Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Anyone have experience doing sous vide steak to different degrees of doneness for the same meal?

Looking at a mix of t-bone, ribeye, and filet mignon for medium rare and medium well.

Did a bunch of filets sous vide to 130 and then seared off on a Blackstone, and you could easily apply different levels of doneness there. I think you’d want that custom temp to happen during the sear phase, however you are doing that.

I absolutely do not want to change the doneness while searing. If I was good at that, I wouldn’t need to sous vide, I’d just cook the steak using cast iron. I like sous vide for meat because it limits the time-sensitive cooking I have to do.

I don’t even sous vide, but this seems like a non-trivial problem unless you’ve got multiple baths going.

I’d do something like this. Start with highest temp setting and drop the steaks you want done at that temp for say one hour. Lower to temp #2, keep the previous steaks, drop in the ones for temp #2. Same process for #3. Keep the last batch of steaks for at least 1 hour in the bath.

It’s probably a PITA, but it should achieve the desired results.

The three main solutions are starting at the lower temp, starting at the higher temp, or cooking separately and reheating the earlier one. I just want to know if someone tried one method and didn’t like it.

For two temps, you could sous vide at 119 for all, and then after an hour or so, pull the medium well ones and stick them in the oven at 250-275 depending on how patient and cautious you want to be, ideally with a temperature probe in one, and monitor the temperature (otherwise just check every 5 min or so until you’re at about 130. Then pull all the steaks wherever they are and sear them all. If you have people demanding more than two temperatures, I’d try to convince them to take one of the two, or sear a steak from one of the two batches a little longer (like 30s per side longer), and tell them it’s now totes medium or well done.

I have been getting a lot of use out of my wok and Kenji’s cookbook therefor. This was the first time I’d ever made hot and sour soup, a dish I’d loved from my childhood and considered too intimidating to actually make well. Turns out it’s not that hard, and Kenji’s recipe is great. MrsWookie overdid it a bit with the white pepper and black vinegar, which I loved, but it was too intense for my girls.

We also did the pork and cucumber stir fry, which was much milder in flavor but still tasty.

1 Like

Did not cook any of this, but i sure did eat it. Bukharan restaurant in Tel Aviv.

Dusphera Soup

Menti

Stuffed onions

And tons of perfect skewers off the grill. Veal liver is my personal favorite. It comes with chunks of super crispy fat that should be illegal.

3 Likes

Felt like some chicken curry. I have some really great curry powder from Trinidad that I haven’t used in a while; I augment it with Thai chilies, really packs a punch. I should probably try some new recipes that use curry powder.

4 Likes

It’s weird that Kenji’s book doesn’t have basic Chinese curry chicken, that’s like one of the most popular Chinese-American dishes ever!

Curry power I’m using is this, great stuff if you can find it. I’m not sure if it should be cancelled or not.

81d6W+SbuqL.SY445

Has anyone done sous vide baby back ribs?

I did some from frozen for 4 or 5 hours at 185 and was impressed at the texture. Tender but with some good bite and the meat pulls off the bone cleanly but doesn’t fall off the bone. I’ll need to try this again. I don’t think I have ever done a sous vide cook at that high a temp before.

In the past I have tried much longer cook times at lower temps for ribs and I wasn’t impressed with the texture.

What did you do before (brine, just salt, full spice rub, etc.) and after (oven, broiler, direct heat grill, indirect heat, etc., and sauce or no?) the water bath? And how did you previously prefer your ribs?

No brine. Yardbird rub and frozen in vacuum seal bag when bbr were on sale.

After SV: mixed the bagged juices with spices I like: YB rub again, garlic powder, freshly ground white pepper, MSG, chipotle powder, and a few squirts of Sweet Baby Ray’s (I’m lazy). It was a little over seasoned, but that’s fixable for next time. Coated with the sauce a few times in the oven.

I’ve never owned a grill or a smoker, but those would be the preferred method of cooking baby back ribs. Back in the day I went with Alton Brown’s braised ribs, but they are too fall off the bone. Delicious though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ2nL7VGOFs

Previous SV ribs are all over the place for me on time and temp. I followed Kenji’s SV spare ribs article on Serious Eats a few different ways, with spare and baby back ribs, but it was never great for me.

1 Like

I’m not a very good cook but I have been following this thread and picking up tips and trying to improve. I think I’m getting better I have attached some photos of latest things I have made. I tried the reverse sear steak last night. I have been making a bunch of stuff from kenji. I think I’m going to get a wok. First steaks are the 2+2 thread reverse sear last night. I think I overlooked it. Second steak is my usual style of just going high heat and flipping it over and over. Kenji beef and broccoli, kenji kung pao. Last photo is fajita thing I made is my own recipe I came up with from what I have learned from kenji and you all.

13 Likes

Holy Christ that looks good.

:vince3:

1 Like

Fridge Noodles

5 Likes

i bought nando hot sauce from grocery. thought it was horrible. had that weird preservative after taste.

I had the exact same reaction and would be hesitant to go to one of the restaurants.