Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Sounds about right. May have also benefited from resting a bit more before serving. That tends to even out the “bulls eye” problems.

My wife is out of town so the obvious move was steak.

6 Likes

4 Likes

Looks like it was cooked from frozen.

step 1

5 Likes

Spicy udon with a ramen egg. I been making noddle bowls a lot this winter; very quick and satisfying.

IMG_0712

7 Likes

Saw some hedgehog mushrooms at Costco today. Never heard of them, so I bought them. I am not very creative with mushrooms, so it was risotto, supplemented with some dried morels. Add some crispy skin salmon, roasted Brussels, and a rosemary buerre blanc, and we have a fancier dinner that I thought we would this morning.

2 Likes

step 2. crust isn’t forming. it has 2 more hours to go, although it already tastes pretty good. maybe i needed more gelatin.

Bottom left pic looking crusty imo. It’s not going to be like a pie crust. Just getting extra browning. Also, scrape the brown stuff on the side of the pot into the beans too. That is part of the crust Kenji talks about.

1 Like

Trimmed the hell out of a $7/lb holiday rib roast I froze a month ago and got two super thick boneless steaks and two ribs.

Wedge salad not pictured

4 Likes

good call on the scraping.

Mushroom topping on the steak is maybe why the surface looks odd? Nice interior.

Middle pic includes a rib that was finished under the broiler. Steaks prepared in 240 oven, the thicker piece came out at 123 and reached 131 while resting under foil. The smaller steak (still huge) 133 for a medium+ preference but didn’t rest long enough so it came out quite similar after sear to the bigger cut. Seared 50 seconds a side while basting with butter.

The surface in some areas was discolored dark by the time I put them in the oven…was in the freezer without food saving and i let it rest on the countertop overnight so the center wouldn’t be frozen by the time i wanted to start the cook.

1 Like

Final product. remind me to go easy on salt pork next time.

1 Like

Too greasy? Yeah, that’s a risk. Still looks pretty good, imo.

no it’s kinda salty for my partner. i’ve been desensitized since i kept tasting it throughout the cook.

I see. Did you add any extra salt? I have always subbed bacon for the salt pork in this recipe when I’ve made it, and that’s worked for me, but maybe salt pork is saltier than bacon? I haven’t worked with that ingredient much. You at least got a nice crust!

no, no extra salt. i used a little more of pork than what kenji said, because i don’t need a tiny piece in the fridge for weeks. turned out maybe i should have rinsed it better or used less.

Did my first sous vide steak. Think I missed my med rare temp by a couple of degrees but it tasted excellent. Made Kenji’s braised asparagus that was really good too. Wife made the mashies.

ETA: it was rarer than it looks in the picture. On the high end of medium rare. I’m not a heathen.

2 Likes

Looks great! But negative karma points for no extreme meat close-up :grin:

2 Likes