Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

This. My prime rib this weekend is for me only. May have a coronary but fuck it.

2 Likes

I hear this from a lot of lawbros and it makes me wonder what the point is. Why not just skip that and rule on the briefs? Massive increase in efficiency at the cost of the million to one shot that oral arguments will cause the judge to rule differently than they otherwise would have.

I’ve ordered from a few of the well known bbq places that ship, and it’s turned out pretty well. They sent in a vacuum sealed bag that you defrost in the refrigerator for 24 hours and then bring up to temp either by dropping the whole bag in simmering water or taking it out of the bag, wrapping in foil and sticking it in a low oven. So, if you have a good sous vide setup, you could probably get similar results with stuff you smoked at home.

So you’re telling me that you almost never watch any of these video clips of Trump saying and doing crazy shit? You definitely miss out on the crazy that way.

The only reason I want to buy a house is so I can sit outside and smoke meat every Sunday… Brisket looks phenomenal.

1 Like

What I’m saying is that’s basically now the default rule in federal court. However, there may be a need for a witness or presentation of physical evidence or what have you. It mainly means that when you file something a notice says, “The court has determined this matter is suitable for decision without oral argument.” I guess they could make it no oral argument by default and permit it by request. Also, at oral argument lawyers get to act like lawyers and judges like judges, which is fun. (And I’m mainly talking federal court, in state court there’s always a bunch of random stuff going on when court is in session. Sometimes like 20-30 matters to call in 2-3 hours.)

I was thinking of federal courts too. Let’s go with the SCOTUS. Are you saying that the justices are laying down a bunch of decisions on stuff that never gets any oral arguments? That’s news to me. I’m not talking about like whether to hear a case, but actually deciding one.

SCOTUS oral arguments seem especially pointless. Oral arguments are changing a Justice’s mind approximately never.

Several people in my apartment complex wheel out smokers on the weekend. (We have attached garages.)

1 Like

I have a medium sized cabinet smoker, so it’s a big waste of fuel to just cook a little bit at a time. So whenever I fire it up, I fill all three racks.

It freezes great. I let it rest before slicing, refrigerate overnight, and vacuum seal. Warm up the meat in the bags in a water bath. The cold brisket is pretty good as well.

I was asked to serve up brisket and pulled pork for my niece’s wedding rehearsal dinner. I made burnt ends out of the points for the reception. I popped in a cold chunk of meat as I was getting ready to warm them up and it was pretty good. After getting some more opinions on the cold brisket, we decided to just serve them as is. They were a big hit.

4 Likes

Went off of this recipe.

A few notes from my end:

1. If you’re using a store bought crust, the recipe makes way more curd and meringue than you need. I ended up with a pretty full pie tin and I probably used 60% of the curd and 50% of the meringue that I made.

2. My wife walked me through the spooning/stirring through of the eggs. The recipe says to spoon it in but that gets messy and takes a while. One crucial step (according to my wife, the expert baker of our relationship) is to keep whisking the eggs. This helps ensure that no one spot of the egg yolks gets too hot too fast and scrambles. Pour it into the egg yolks while whisking, slowly at first, increase gradually the rate of pouring until about 1/3 of the water/sugar mix is in the egg bowl, whisk that for a few seconds more, then put the egg mix back in the pan with the rest of the water/sugar mix.

3. When making the meringue, having special caster (superfine) sugar helps to just have it mix faster. Also, crank that KitchenAid to its highest setting from the jump. I was whisking at a 6 to start and there’s no harm in just cranking it to 10 right away.

You’re not wrong, but demonstrations of novel tasks are better for me in video form.

If you already know what you are doing, I get it. I’d rather just reread the temp and time to sous vide a prime rib than go back to the full 25 min video on why those were chosen.

But if I had never made an omelet before? Youtube is where I’d go. I’d probably watch 5 or 6 vidoes and combine them into a terrible mess to eat and learn from.

I’m also anti-video for the most part because I find reading so much easier but I suppose if there was a particular technique I wanted to practice I might like to watch someone else demonstrate it. However I have yet to come across a recipe where I don’t feel I can make it from simply reading and honestly if it requires me to watch more than a few minutes of video to make it, I’ll probably just make something else. I’ve watched videos for minor home repairs since I otherwise know so little about it, although JohnnyTruant was able to talk me through realigning my screen door on here.

Christmas Eve 7 Degrees Outside Chili.

11 Likes

Made homemade gingerbread cookies. We had to settle with llama and gnome cutouts because the store was out. Cookie is honestly delicious.

2 Likes

These take some effort but man! They might be the single best cookie I have ever eaten.

3 Likes

just get an electric unit and put it on the balcony. minimum smoke that doesn’t blow into open windows.

it’s probably not as good, but so much easier to operate that it increases your meat consumption.

1 Like

Just tucked this baby in for a night in the fridge

5 Likes

Looks great. More salt, maybe?

Yeah I was applying the salt rather liberally and it all absorbed by the time I took the pic. Maybe could use a little more.

So is the pro move to leave the ribs on? We always have them cut off and then tied back on.

Is one approach better than the other?