Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Pure pork.

Serve that over egg noodles and with a bit of lingonberry jam mixed in and you have 100% authentic Midwestern cooking.

Been wanting to make bolognese sauce forever and finally got around to it today now that my daughter is back at daycare and the house is empty. My initial idea was to make the one off Serious Eats but honestly it’s too involved and had too many ingredients so I made this one instead with some minor modifications: How to Make Bolognese Sauce Recipe.

I added garlic (an odd omission I think), tomato paste with the milk, and sausage meat in addition to ground beef. Simmered all day and it was excellent so I don’t feel the need to make any changes but I was just curious if any of you all-day sauce pros had any thoughts on possible modifications to make it even better. It could’ve stood to be slightly more salty but I was planning on grating Parmesan on top anyway.

1 Like

I can’t even imagine this without garlic.

Looks really good. Kenji pinned the recipe in the comments on a similar recipe video if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld5cECqIFU0.

1 Like

White wine instead of red wine in a beef ragu is very sus. I’ve never done this before, but it seems like a fun project for a long weekend.

I saw recipes with one or the other and honestly I was a little more intrigued with the white wine option so I went with that; should make it the same way again but try red instead.

My understanding is that color doesn’t matter much when cooking with wine. Just use a dry variety and you should be fine.

4 Likes

I have made braised pasta sauce both ways theyre both great. I personally prefer white wine.

imo a red would really work well with the beef and nutmeg flavors.

1 Like

Was this recipe shared here? A friend texted it to me and his family loves it. I thought I saw it here possibly. Had the ingredients delivered today.

1 Like

Awesome. When my mom was in the hospital a couple months ago bringing her real food was by far the best way to brighten her day.

It’s too bad hospitals don’t realize how important food is for good mental health.

2 Likes

I’ve done this one, and I just think it’s OK. If I got it at a restaurant, I’d be slightly disappointed. Could just be that I messed it up somewhere.

We’ve tried a lot of quick butter chicken recipes and though some are decent, none of them came close to restaurant quality.

If you want to put the work in, this recipe is really good:

2 Likes

Sunday’s menu. Bourbon raisin glazed pork tenderloin and maple cayenne slow roasted squash.

11 Likes

Did you also roast the seeds for a salty, crunchy treat?

… I messed up. Shit! Didn’t even think of that.

tenor-1

It’s seasonal!

Ignore the Gary Johnson mailer lmao. wtf.

5 Likes