Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Confidence. That shit isn’t gonna burn your house down. You’re gonna make a fuckin SAUCE.

(Place booze in pan off the direct heat, reduce as possible off heat and flambé once you have a bit of reduction - the more it cooks off indirectly, the less flames you’ll have to deal with)

((Depending on your dining companion, she/he may be aroused by your flame management. In which case…direct flames & YOLO))

Forgot or is the cooking time super sensitive? Does it go from cooked to burned super fast?

You should get a Dutch Oven. I use my all the time. Don’t buy the expensive ones either. The amazon essentials one is awesome.

Thanks. I was asking as I think I am going to try to play along and was curious if it’s hyper sensitive to cooking time.

https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-Enameled-Cast-Iron-Dutch/dp/B073Q9WV8S/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3EBYI4UZRS3LA&dchild=1&keywords=dutch%2Boven&qid=1595373454&sprefix=Dutch%2Caps%2C209&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFBR0VINENCSEpWQTUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2MTY3MDIyS0RRT05LMjFTSVE5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3NzQxOTgyV0ZFWFlCM1VNTFhEJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

You can do a ton of cooking with an instapot.

2 Likes

For anyone wanting the convenience of bread but minus the carbs here’s a simple recipe for gluten free tortillas. These are amazing with slow cooked pork recipes and work great for gluten free enchiladas.

2 tsp coconut oil/ghee/etc… (I’ve been using avocado oil lately)
4 eggs
2 tbsp water
1/2 cup arrowroot
2 tsp coconut flour
2 pinches coarse sea salt

Heat up your oil. Mix in the water and eggs. Add your powders and salt then cook on medium heat (I use a 12" skillet, this will determine the size of your tortillas) ~ 60 seconds and then flip and repeat.

Once your skillet is hot make sure you oil up first. I fill the skillet and pour excess back in the bowl. I like them as thin as possible.

The coconut flour is not necessary; pretty sure the meal planning site I use just threw it in to make them sound sexier.

I’m not touting them over bread. They are an amazing alternative for celiacs, they are low in carbs, and bread doesnt work in enchiladas. You can whip them up in less than 10 minutes.

Also, they freeze really well. Lately Ive been cooking chuck roasts packed with garlic (I’m talking 10 cloves deep); shredding and wrapping them up and freezing them.

Heat up in the microwave, open up and add avocado and whatever sauces or spices I’m feeling. Powdered sriracha and tumeric have been getting in there.

HomerSimpsonfadingintobushes.gif

I forgot to jump on this discussion about woks last week to retell one of my favorite marriage stories. This will give you a good sense of what my wife has to put up with and why if I suddenly stop posting you all can reasonably assume that she has finally murdered me.

A couple of years ago we were making stir fry occasionally but they never really turned out because we didn’t have the right tools (using stuff like the Le Creuset or a frying pan to make stir fry is OK, but you don’t get that proper stir fried texture). We finally decided to just buy a wok and picked a recipe to try out.

We started doing the prep work and I starting singing/humming our unofficial national anthem:

After a couple of minutes I get possibly the most commonly uttered phrase in my house: “Uh, honey, what in the hell are you doing?”

“Babe, it’s wokkey night in Canada!”

2 Likes

Made steaks tonight, no biggy, but I wanted a sauce that didn’t call for heavy cream because I’m out and cbf to go to the store.

random internet post said to try a base of melted butter and a bit of dijon mustard. I thought this sounded fishy because I’ve never really tried that for a steak sauce, but I said what the hell, and hoooooly shit it turned out amazing. 1/2 a stick of butter, 1 tbsp of dijon, then whatever the fuck you want to season it with. I sauteed a small shallot and a couple garlic cloves, then used a dried herb blend (I was winging it and didn’t have anything fresh on hand), some smoked paprika because that goes in everything, a pinch of cayenne, and some fresh ground pepper.

The key is to melt the butter then let it cool a little before whisking in the rest.

It looks like yellow baby shit, but it tastes fucking incredible and doesn’t overpower the steak. Also, this sauce is universal. put some on the roasted potatoes…fuck yeah. dipped the steamed broccoli in it, too: heaven.

I really enjoy experimenting with sauces.

2 Likes

You basically took the ingredients for a compound butter, but instead of mixing it cold (or at room temperature, rather) then letting it melt on your steak, you cooked everything together.

A half stick of butter makes everything better.

2 Likes

sure, but it only took 5 minutes instead of hours to chill

I’ll remember that the next time I mix a smoothie.

I am having some serious cooking yips right now. My last 3 meals have been HORRIBLE. Like unedible. My seasoning is shot, my sauces taste like garbage, and Im overcooking my vegetables like a noob.

I feel like fucking Tin Cup here.

My wife and I have switched to a mostly vegan cooking style, and shes been killing it, but ever since we switched, I cannot get a goddamn handle on things. I must be so used to cooking proteins that I can’t get my seasonings right on this vegan stuff. So I switch to following recipes, but that almost invariably leads to overcooking things, and I think its generally because I don’t know what I’m looking for when it comes to doneness compared to meats, which I feel like I have a pretty good handle on.

I’m completely shattered. I have no confidence in the kitchen now, and everything I am touching is turning to shit.

Are you following recipes that have a specific ingredient acting as a meat substitute?

You wanna share some specific stuff you tried? I don’t cook any meat substitutes but maybe I can help with some of the veggies.

You can try doing some beans or lentils or chickpeas stuff that is a bit more forgiving to less than perfect cooking times imo. allow yourself to focus on seasoning which you might be messing cause you’re stressed on cooking times.

I cut open a mango yesterday that was not ripe so I diced it, sauteed it in butter and birds eye chili, then dumped some giant shrimp in it and made a pasta. Very good. Normally I hate the shrimp + mango mix when I have had it before but this worked out perfectly.

That makes sense, cooking unripe mango makes it sweeter. Works with peaches too, sometimes we buy peaches and if we get tired of waiting for them to ripen we just fry them and eat them warm on ice cream.

1 Like

Buy the peaches that Trader Joe’s sells in a box if you can. They’re usually ripe or close to it and they’re consistently good.

Sour cream + mustard + dill is a standard Scandinavian sauce for salmon, it might work with steak.