College Football 2024: Hail to the Cheaters

Keep in mind that the Berkeley team also will have to visit Syracuse.

I’m almost certain this is true - especially for non-revenue sports. The reason for the move is more money - and they’re not going to just waste that on lots of hotel rooms, etc.

It’s shockingly hard to find stuff on this, but I still remember a piece in the Athletic that said that when WVU moved to the Big XII, the budget for only travel per player was $25k per year. That’s just insane to me. Like outside of athletics, what other club or activity would a college spend $25k per student simply for them to travel?

I loved these road trips when I was 21. It wasn’t so bad, YMMV though. I only played for one year, so maybe it would have gotten old. We went to California and NYC as our bigger trips though, which was cool. Also did Notre Dame and OSU.

Usually you’d get there a day or two before a game so you’d at least get a nice dinner or team activity out of it.

brutal for the college athletes trying to get a real degree and play sports at the same time, might see some of more of the lesser programs just drop them entirely cause football and basketball and some volleyball programs are the only ones people care about.

Travel is such a small part of the work of being a student athlete in a real degree. Gotta disagree here.

I’d like to think there’s a difference from get on the bus after class we got a game tonight to get on the plane in the morning but hey minor things, everything adds up.

Get on the bus we got a game tonight isn’t how it works unless you’re super close, and even then you usually travel the day before. We took a bus and stayed in a hotel the night before and went home the next day for trips like Ann Arbor to Columbus and Ann Arbor to East Lansing

These schools have decided that athletics are far and away the best advertising/recruiting tool in existence, and I think the data back them up on this

Too shay.

Has anyone ever actually met a Cal fan?

Yes. My boss lol

Your wife is a Cal fan?

3 Likes

Galen “GoldenBears” Hall

Sorry, is that doxxing

1 Like

My fiancé booked us a room on the coast for the holiday weekend and managed to find a hotel that has Spectrum cable tv. No ESPN no SEC no ACC opening weekend :rage: This is exactly why I never want to go anywhere.

1 Like

My boomer parents who have spectrum signed up for YouTubeTV today specifically so they don’t miss opening weekend of football season. Spectrum is playing a dangerous game of chicken right now, who know how many thousands of people who never would have otherwise signed up for a streaming service are going to try one out and see they can basically get the exact same product for 1/2 the price and never bother returning to them. I have a feeling this situation is going to get resolved fairly quickly when Charter realizes that ESPN has them over the coals and that offering a cable tv service without the ability to watch live sports is ~ essentially pointless.

I think cable companies need to do this. With how splintered the market is, I think cables niche should be cheap crap (but lots of it). Rather than charge people a lot for a huge bundle - including for tons of stuff they never watch - charge them a little for a bunch of stuff and then if people need the add-in’s they can just pay extra to stream it.

I just don’t see how the current model for cable companies lasts.

As a horny toad I am still saying take Colorado and the points.

FOOTBALLLL

1 Like

BUFFS