Coffee Talk (and Tea)

We should totally do one though.

I wonder if we could get Archie Luxury to start doing coffee reviews?

ā€œPanama GESHA, fuckers!!!ā€

Man cold press is something I havenā€™t tried with my French press yet. Had it for years too.

If it wasnā€™t in the single digits, Iā€™d make some tomorrow. No idea how aside from make coffee than put in fridge. Gotta be more than that.

So I just put the same ratio of roughly ground coffee into the French press as usual with cold water. Let it sit overnight in the fridge. Filtered it out and put it in a growler the next morning. It turned out fine.

So I guess it is that easy.

I poked around the coffee subreddit and did some googling. Thatā€™s what I came up with. I used some cheap Dunkinā€™ beans because my partner likes cold brew and I wanted to offload those beans.

Bought a cappuccino machine today. Iā€™m super psyched.

2 Likes

Which one did you get?

Ordered some beans from a friend of mine back home who runs a coffee shop and mercantile (Scoutā€™s in High Bridge NJ if anyone lives in the area, I know there are some NJ people around the forum). I usually get non-coffee stuff for my wife but now that they can actually ship to me through the website I added some coffee. These sounded up my alley, gonna French press them tomorrow.

1 Like

Basic intro model but loving it.

Just signed up for the trial of Discovery + only to find one of the exclusive new Good Eats episodes is over cold brew. Obviously watching tonight.

1 Like

BRB building a Kyoto cold brew tower out of 3 liter bottles and cheesecloth.

2 Likes

Went to a decent coffee shop when I was visiting my parents in Palm Desert and decided to order some beans from their online store to mix it up a bit. My wife likes half-caff so Iā€™ll be combining these most days, which makes me a little sad.

1 Like

Tried white coffee for the first time.

Itā€™s a much milder flavor. If you find dark roast too bitter, the very lightly roasted white coffee might be best for you.

Seems like it would be impossible to grind? I met a local roaster who was only doing dark roasts for some reason (even on Kenyan and Ethiopian) and asked him to try a city roast. It came out way under and was basically like grinding rocks. Thinking back, that may have been the cause of my grinder starting to fail.

I was able to. But I have an electric grinder.

Iā€™ve been into coffee for the last decade and have read this thread and the one on 2p2 the whole time; thanks for all the posts, with a special mention to pvn for rigging his hario hand grinder to a power drill which always cracked me up.

Iā€™ve played around with pretty much everything including but not limited to Aeropress, Chemex, Clever, various french presses, moka pots, espresso hacks, swedish egg coffee, many more

current coffee strat:
ā€”Hario V60 imo is the most reliable and adaptable. I use the 01 size when Iā€™m just making myself a cup and the 02 size if Iā€™m putting more than say 30g of coffee in there. Ceramic is prob the way to go although at some point I also got a copper 02 for looks (but it will leech all your heat if you let it)

ā€”thereā€™s obv many ways to brew and eventually you start developing a decent intuition for it too, but if I had to pick one technique then Iā€™d go with the 4:6 method by japanese dude Kasuya, that was the first one where I started being able to make tasty coffees lean into their sweet or citric sides depending on how I divided the pulses.

ā€”Fwiw my ratio will vary between 11:1 to 17:1 based on the coffee. And I still fiddle with the grind for each new bag, it matters a ton. Almost always using 204F (95.5C) water

ā€”Iā€™ve been using the same Breville Smart Grinder for a long time, itā€™s solid and does well with fine grinds but isnā€™t great with super coarse ones so doesnā€™t really work for french presses

ā€”Ive also used the same Breville thingy (The Infuser) to tinker with espresso; itā€™s respectable although it took me a year to really get the hang of it. If you care about latte art then it can absolutely pull it off, but your ceiling is C+ because the frother is underpowered (though it still does a better job than all standalone milk frothers Iā€™ve tried). To get legit pro-quality espresso at home I think you just have to pony up, which isnā€™t happening for me because the bottom line is Iā€™d usually rather have a cozy cup of coffee.

ā€”for kettles I still use a Bonavita 1.0 liter gooseneck one and have just accepted that they will break every couple years, still feels worth it since thatā€™s like 1000 uses

ā€”I also have a one-liter vacuum carafe from zojirushi; itā€™s really just a giant thermos with a spout but it solved a problem for me which was trying to make a bunch of cups for (small) groups. Now I just make one big batch of coffee and with this zojirushi thing itā€™ll absolutely stay hot/drinkable for a few hours, where the taste only degrades to the point where Iā€™m vaguely annoyed and none of my other friends/fam give a crap. During covid this has still gotten a lot of use when Iā€™m home alone and feel like having 2 or 3 cups in a given day but donā€™t feel like going through all the pour-over kabuki each time.

ā€”Iā€™m in California and there are tons of good coffee roasters around but if I could only use one then Iā€™d keep getting beans from Chromatic

ā€”some of the new instant coffees (the freeze-dried single-serving ones by Sudden that are used by Intelligentsia and Ritual and others) are not horrible, to the point where if Iā€™m camping I grab some of these instead of my aeropress

ā€”but lately have been getting more into tea, feels healthy? I know I know

1 Like

The pros seem to like the plastic a lot for heat and unbreakability. Do you find there is much difference using the 01 vs 02 for a single serving?

I think thereā€™s a difference but not sure how much. For me thereā€™s something about making a single cup in a 02 that just looks wrong, all the proportions are funny, everything seems to go too quickly and itā€™s like youā€™re watching the whole thing happen through backwards binoculars. Especially if the person brewing is someone like my dad who tries to get away with only using like 11g of coffee for a cup (madness and folly).

But fwiw if I was only going to have one then Iā€™d buy a 02; when you try to make 2-3 cupsā€™ worth in a 01 you are entering into a waltz with satan

and yep totally makes sense that plastic is best for heat, but enough people are evangelists about hot water + plastic that if Iā€™m about to make a batch of coffee then I donā€™t even want to give that conversation the possibility of oxygen, if only because itā€™s too early in the morning. Also I like the heft of the ceramic and it doesnā€™t seem super breakable; when the boogaloo comes thatā€™s like a top-twenty murder weapon in my apartment. And theyā€™re pretty cheap I think; apart from some books Iā€™m not sure if I can think of another $20 noun thatā€™s given me so much in the past ten years? lodge cast iron skillet in the team photo too

1 Like