Coffee Talk (and Tea)

That is a highly-rated grinder, often recommended as a cheaper alternative to the Comandante C40.

1 Like

That could be genetic but could also be low extraction or roast. They should not be sour. You could always try a floral with low acidity that has chocolate tasting notes. Guatemala Santa Rosa tends to have that profile. I reviewed one in this thread from S&W; one of the best coffees Iā€™ve had but theyā€™ve since sold out.

2 Likes

The idea of that piece isnā€™t crazy: I tried to whip up a homemade contraption sort of like that once. The purpose was mainly as a flow restrictor on the Hario gooseneck kettle which imo is sort of a flawed design, easily allowing you to pour too much too fast. George Howell Coffee sells this nylon flow restrictor for $3:

So that shower head device is taking it one step further: flow restriction and wider dispersion like you see on the better drip machines. But isnā€™t it basically just this

except instead of being an attachment you have to hold it in your free hand? The $35 price is some real dotcom shit though. Iā€™m almost positive I could do the CAD drawing and have a shop mass producing them for $1 in less than 72 hours.

1 Like

I donā€™t see what good itā€™s supposed to do. is the goal to just not have to agitate? seems like if you give it a good whirl then using this will be totally moot.

I dunno what their device is supposed to do, but my idea was to emulate a good batch brewer by removing the variability in flow rate and dispersion that hand pouring from a kettle with a large nozzle produces. Like ideally I could hold the kettle in one position ā€œwide openā€ and have it pour at the perfect rate and dispersion pattern instead of having to time my pours. I donā€™t know how much agitation matters, but anecdotally too much of it has a tendency to clog cone-shaped filters, presumably because the fines settle at the bottom.

Hereā€™s my idea for an inexpensive plastic piece that snaps onto a V60 or whatever. You donā€™t even need a kettle, just boiling water poured from anything. Thereā€™s a large mouth to pour into that tapers down to a reservoir. That way you can pour liberally but not lose too much heat. Itā€™s then flow restricted to feed the shower. Thereā€™s no magic shit like PULSE POURING or 4:6 METHODā€“you just dump the water in. Why wouldnā€™t this work?

Here is your multi-bit DAC with linear power supply of coffee pouring devices:

$6,975.00

1 Like

Why not just buy the v60 with a valve at the bottom

Got some beans I want to use up and my partner likes cold brew. Do I just coarse grind, use cold water, and leave it in the fridge overnight in the French press? We had been just using the pre made concentrate from TJā€™s but that shit is like $9 and seems like a waste.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting didnā€™t know they had a valve immersion option. Ultimately Iā€™d like to be able to use my gadget on any cone filter device since I switch from time to time.

Anyone else have an encore Baratza? How the hell do I stop it from spewing out grinds when I insert the plastic back in?

Iā€™ve never made it but I think thatā€™s right.

1 Like

Can you fine folks recommend a cappuccino machine for a noob? I donā€™t want to spend a grand but also donā€™t want garbage. Also something that makes good lattes without a ton of effort would be ideal.

Ideas?

The grinds holder or the cap on the hopper?

This piece.

Thatā€™s the grinds bin. When I put it back in, it doesnā€™t cause anything to spew out? It looks like you have a ton of static electricity though. I posted this recently:

You could also wet the back of a spoon or something and stir with that before grinding.

Iā€™ll give it a shot. Thanks.

The wet spoon trick works. My grinder is not particularly plagued by static but I get some and using a spoon basically eliminates it.

A lot of high end grinders are now shopping with a little bitty spray bottle for this purpose.

1 Like

I honestly think this is pretty hard to find, especially if youā€™re looking for automatic machines. I did a lot of research and arrived at a Saeco machine for about $700 - unfortunately I was never happy with the quality of the espresso or lattes as I was making and ended up returning it. It was also quite a bit of maintenance that I wasnā€™t interested in; some cursory research indicates they donā€™t even make the model anymore.

My understanding is that the Breville Espresso Express is probably the best home machine youā€™re going to find but maybe one of the others with more expertise can weigh in: https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BES870XL-Barista-Express-Espresso/dp/B00CH9QWOU

I have friends who swear by their Jura but itā€™s a much more expensive machine.

1 Like

we never started a watch thread but I had to post this SOMEWHERE, you can get a NOS Doc Brown BTTF watch on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313416309164?ul_noapp=true

1 Like