Climate Change and the Environment

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1420649906323312658

What the heck is going on in Luxembourg?

Small and rich

Kinda illustrative of how the “the world is overpopulated, therefore we should let poor people die” crowd actually has it backwards.

This whole shit feels a lot like cancer. If detected early(which we actually did) you can treat(which we didnt) it well. Now we are closing in on that point where you cant ignore it anymore and the options are treatment which could impact your quality of life significantly with no guarantee of a good outcome or not treating it and have few more good years before its over. Unfortunately most people in power are old enough that option 2 is their prefered one. God we need a retirement age for politicians yesterday.

4 Likes

This is a really good analogy. Hope you dont mind if I steal it

1 Like

Covid thread has people literally wishing death on individuals who won’t sacrifice for the greater good. How do you feel about individuals with large carbon footprints?

2 Likes

What happens when you do battle with Chevron?

You get denied a jury, confined for 600 days without a conviction for a misdemeanor, and prosecuted by a private law firm which has Chevron as a client after the public prosecutors refuse to prosecute.

“Steven Donziger is being prosecuted for a misdemeanor, a petty charge with a maximum sentence of six months in prison. But he could eventually end up confined to his home for more than five years. By the time of the trial, he will have served 630 days under house arrest. Add to that the six months prison time he could get if convicted. And then, afterward, he could be sentenced to two years of probation, which he might also have to serve under house arrest.”

Donziger’s contempt case is an irregular proceeding in which a private law firm with ties to Chevron is prosecuting him after the US Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York refused to take up the case. There is no jury. Judge Preska alone will decide his fate—continuing the unjust, decade-long pattern in which Donziger has never gotten the chance to face a jury of his peers.

1 Like

1 Like

The main problem with stories like this is that the consequences are so hard to grasp. You still think we will somehow manage we will find a solution.

1 Like

These are the kind of articles that make me sad. There is a lot of hype for a premier like Jacinda Ardern but in the end she isnt much different. Honestly a lot of the woman in power are kinda disappointing too. They get celebrated as a new era of leaders but how much different then their male counterparts are they really? Even Merkel who is well respected mostly stood for keeping the status quo.

The sector is hopeful that new scientific developments, such as methane inhibitors, breeding, and using different forms of feed would continue to reduce methane emissions, Hoggard said.

Yeah hoping for progress to solve the problems. Where did we hear that before?

“All of the promises of the dairy industry that it will self regulate and take charge of the problem are clearly not working, and that is borne out by the actual emissions data,” Abel said.

Self regulation; the solution by free market advocates that almost never worked so far.

I went down too big of a doom rabbit hole this morning. The whole god damn world is either flooding or on fire. Shit is terrifying.

1 Like

I never thought of Merkel as anything other than pretty conservative.

See Adults in the Room - Yanis Varoufakis.

She made her career by „depoliticizing“ conflicts and abandoning conservative positions on things like minimum wage, they Stadt, nuclear power and a few others.

Before she became chancellor she lost two elections where she tried to create conflicts. In 2003 she wasn’t the candidate for chancellor, but the head of her party and tried to get Germany involved with the US in the Iraq war.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/2003/02/20/schroeder-doesnt-speak-for-all-germans/1e88b69d-ac42-48e2-a4ab-21f62c413505/

Schroeder really wasn’t that popular anymore, but that was really bad strategy and she basically lost an election that was basically considered unloseable (also Schröder was an elite campaigner)

In 2005 she campaigned on a Health care reform where everyone would have had to pay a flat fee instead of wage based percentages like we still have today. I think there would have been subsidies for people with very low income, but this was still massively unpopular with the working population. She barely won and had to form a coalition with Schröder‘s party and that health care reform was never heard from again.

2 Likes

I mean, they can sum up the consequences pretty simply.

We are totally fucked

2 Likes

And there is just so very little we can do without the cooperation of the people at the top. We’re drawing dead to a general strike, the proles seizing the means of production, and a complete dismantling of capitalism.

1 Like

There are serious attempts to get this right, and we are moving fast in the right direction. The issue is we still arent going fast enough, so we are actually falling further behind.

IPCC releases its 6th report today. Ill be trying to find time to work through it this week, but im sure the news will cover the key findings.

Really? I dont see any serious attempts nor do I see us moving in the right direction? Can you elaborate?

Ya. Things are worse now than ever. We are doing the opposite of making progress.

Ya we are fucked.

“Bottom line is that we have zero years left to avoid dangerous climate change, because it’s here,” Michael E. Mann, a lead author of the IPCC’s 2001 report, told CNN.

Even under the IPCC’s most optimistic scenario, in which the world’s emissions begin to drop sharply today and are reduced to net zero by 2050, global temperature will still peak above the 1.5-degree threshold before falling.

https://www.ipcc.ch/assessment-report/ar6/

Link to full IPCC Sixth Assessment Report

The Full Report which is the most up to date understanding of climate change is more than 1300 pages but there is a summary for policy makers which is 39 pages and a technical summary which is 150 pages.

The Working Group I contribution to the Sixth Assessment Report addresses the most up-to-date physical understanding of the climate system and climate change, bringing together the latest advances in climate science, and combining multiple lines of evidence from paleoclimate, observations, process understanding, and global and regional climate simulations.