Climate Change and the Environment

Ah yes the good old days:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/politics/biden-indicates-from-the-debate-stage-that-he-would-ban-all-fracking/2020/03/18/db729c6b-3dd1-41f8-9773-3fe0571112d7_video.html

https://www.axios.com/nasa-moon-wobble-coastal-flooding-c4623977-31be-44d6-a73a-1da9107f3316.html

https://twitter.com/stan_okl/status/1415090867405164544

2 Likes

As someone who has been there a few time, it’s hard to believe Dallas used to look like that first picture.

1 Like

Bottom picture looks an awful lot like (insert random large red state American city here).

SF bought up the old street cars.

3 Likes

I think alot of this happened because racist whites wanted to live in the suburbs far away from black people, then they wanted to be able to drive to work faster so they demanded that cities turn vibrant city centers into car-friendy thru ways. And it didn’t even work, when they made cities car-friendly more people got cars, jamming up the roads.

1 Like

Well, Ford fucked everything up, right? Wasn’t the idea for cities to be 100% public transportation until he pushed for cars for everyone? Part of the GND should be to make cars unnecessary for all areas of cities

Superblocks are a great idea.

Urban planning basically needs a intervention against the addiction to cars and isolated residential vs. commercial tracts. I am not very optimistic about a Federal GND being able to drive this kind of change because the municipality will control alot of the spending.

1 Like

Are people of color who move into whiter neighborhoods racist?

Are immigrants who migrate to the US racist?

White flight was a fairly well-researched and documented phenomenon. It’s not armchair speculation.

1 Like

But also, and more importantly, it doesn’t really matter whether individual people moving out of the cities were racist, there were undeniably racist policies that incentivized the moves.

1 Like

Yes. This is so well understood I dont think it really needs explanation.

Ah, the smell of JAQing off in the morning.

1 Like

My argument lies with the use of the word “racist.”

Systemic issues should not be used to paint individuals as “racist.”

This seem pedantic to me. It is unconceivable that racist policies happen without racist people involved.

I think there is really important nuance hiding in this statement.

I would guess only a small portion of structural racism can be accounted for by overt, conscious racism. Most of it is unconscious bias and implicit racism created by people who would wholeheartedly and honestly be right in saying they are not racist in the commonly accepted way it’s defined.

Yes that’s true. I am comfortable calling unconscious bias “racism” but I agree with the nuance.

2 Likes

I agree but I think the left gets in trouble a bit with this. Technically, every poster on this site is racist, including me. However, I think we lose the argument a bit by making that technically correct claim while ignoring it’s a nuance not understood by most people and the fact that calling someone racist has real social force.

That’s true, but we also need to stop back pedaling every time a conservative (or anyone else) starts screaming HOW DARE YOU CALL ME RACIST!!! Thats a diversion tactic, not an argument.

For retail political stuff it shouldn’t be that hard to manage this, you just need to be positive about it and say We Are Being More Inclusive instead of saying Those Guys Are Racist. Corporations are all over this already, they all have Diversity, Equity & Inclusion programs now, none of them have Stop Being Racist Employees programs.

1 Like