ChrisV's Walrus - Reveal Thread

Soul Fugue is a neat track that really stands out.

1 Like

A late challenge flag! Maybe this Walrus will go into overtime.

Edit: blurring that picture doesn’t achieve very much, does it?

1 Like

Apparently there used to be a website called football bigguns - for gay men (and my ex) who love offensive lineman-type guys. Within that site there was a subgroup who thinks Andy Reid is the sexiest man live.

1 Like

Yeah there are some pretty good bands that rose out of the nu metal scene. Sevendust and Rise Against amongst them

I’m not a numetal fan but that song is amazing to drive to

Yes, I know you’re a person.

1:50 Goat transition

OK, here we go. Probably people have worked this out for themselves by now. Congrats to Louis Cyphre on taking down the walrus! He had a diverse and consistently interesting selection of artists and only dipped below the top half once.

Three way tie for second place. I probably should have established some tiebreak rules (podium position countback or something) but I won’t retcon that in now.

Sorry to Johnny for getting the wrong track on the last category, here is his actual submission:

I won’t try to place it in the category, but it would score worse than the original Protect Ya Neck. I just don’t like the beat. The graph of RZA’s production quality is a straight diagonal line down, that beat isn’t as bad as later efforts, but you can hear the decline setting in imo. Weirdly, to me it sounds more dated than 36 Chambers does. Wu-Tang Clan are weird in that I would consider all their solo albums basically part of the group’s oeuvre and there’s plenty of that I like, but as far as albums released under the Wu-Tang Clan name go, for me 36 Chambers is classic and then it’s really slim pickings on the other albums. Plenty of later songs I haven’t even heard.

My all-walrus top 10, no particular order:

I will say that if I were doing an all-walrus podium, it would contain Your Hand in Mine and Carin at the Liquor Store for sure and then I’d face a tough choice for third. Also, I think Twist deserves a special shoutout for having several songs barely outside the top 10, and achieving this while submitting weird shit like Scottish folk and Renaissance era polyphonic choral music.

Thanks everyone for playing. Hope you enjoyed yourselves and weren’t too annoyed by my judgements :D I’d be keen to play if someone else is interested in running one. I won’t sugarcoat the amount of work it is, but it’s rewarding. I’m already digging through other songs by some of the artists featured here. My recommendation would be to keep it to 5 categories in future. It definitely started to become more of a grind getting through categories 6 and 7.

Thanks again everyone.

4 Likes

For Joni fans, that concert video with “Both Sides Now” in the title reminded me of this version of the song by an Australian acapella group. I really like it, but be warned that it’s very different to the original song.

1 Like

mmmmm good

1 Like

are they sampling john bercow for this tune?

1 Like

So who’s doing the next one??!

I feel the reason as it’s leaving me - no, not again.

@smrk4 at 2:35 and one time prior and another time afterwards, the guitarist is making some high chord voicing and resolving it with what I describe as a ‘chomp’ lol

You know what he’s doing? Jesus kids do the craziest things

Korn Goat

Really enjoyed reading through this walrus. Found a bunch of songs and artists I’d never heard of. What a great game and effort from you…

Also, this track is only 4 days old and given yours and WesleyC’s submissions I reckon you both might enjoy it, and the band more generally:

Anyway, cheers for hosting this.

1 Like

Apologies btw, edited in :slight_smile:

Game was a tremendous amount of fun, thanks.
Wouldn’t blame anyone for not wanting to take this on, not only for the sheer amount of listening needed but also the fun metagame posts keeping people involved.

1 Like

If no one else wants to host the next one I’ll do it.

4 Likes

I want Jalfrezi to do it. I think he’ll like my picks.