Business & Management chat

“Exactly how strict are your sexual harassment policies?”

6 Likes

Call is in an hour. My plan is to go in with the main theme being that I have no reservations about the company or position itself; the only reservations I have are about relocating. We’ll see how the tone shifts. I built up enough fluff in my compensation number to give up a non trivial amount and still be happy. If I have a preference it would not be to leave downtown Indy to move to suburbia DC.

2 Likes

“Do you allow children in the workplace? The courts won’t let me near children anymore.”

3 Likes

“Ok, do they have to be the same children? I tend to bring whichever ones I can find on my commute that morning.”

1 Like

Went really well. I would be the most shocked I’ve ever been if I didn’t get an offer. He was the one that brought up remote work and “my situation” with my wife’s grad school. He said he sees this role as being able to be done through “telecommunication” lol. He said he would expect that I’m in the office more frequently on the front end until we can get relationships built but could see that diminishing as we go. I told him it’s only a 1.5 hour direct flight over and it would be easy to work out. He ended by saying that HR would be in contact. I guess we will see what they offer but i feel way better about it after he shared his thoughts on me staying in Indy. Now the anticipation starts.

9 Likes

I don’t want to say congrats too soon, but seems like you’re in a great spot.

2 Likes

Alright guys I’m applying for a new supervisor position at a different company with a decent size raise. I made it to round 2 of the interview. I’m answering written questions. It’s for a shipping supervisor position.

Can anyone make sense of this question? If so got any good answers? I can’t tell if they’re asking what lack of knowledge the CEO would have of a shipping supervisor that could blindside them? Just seems like a badly worded question.

What lack of knowledge often blindsides a CEO about this position.

1 Like

I would read that as “senior management doesn’t like surprises, what about your job might ruin a CEOs day”. Opportunity to point out some aspect of the role that would be below the CEO’s attention but could create a problem that the CEO would need to worry about. THEN tell them you know how to make sure that doesn’t happen so the CEO is not caught off guard.

7 Likes

Lol. I would be really annoyed if I saw that.

Any red flags on the company or on the CEO? Having a poorly written question prioritizing what the CEO feels/thinks could indicate something not right.

They talk WAY too fucking much lol. Our interview was over an hour and like 90% of it was him talking.

And yes the CEO was in the interview. It’s only like 40 people in the company but they pay way more than my company of 500 lol.

Did the CEO give you asshole vibes?

The only job I ever regret taking, I knew all of the companies problems from the interview. Took it anyway.

It’s characteristic of small organizations that they don’t really know how to do stuff like interview. In large corporations they will train people to ask open ended questions in interviews so the candidate does most of the talking.

In a business with 40 employees the entire organizational culture is going to be set by the CEO.

2 Likes

And that organizational culture asks indecipherable questions putting the CEO at the centre of it…

Not enough data on it’s own. But I’d be looking for red flags.

No he seemed ok. They actually all came in an hour early to interview me. I work 8-6:15 right now and they start at 8 too so they all came in at 7 to interview me. Ended up being like 20 minutes late because he kept talking but I wasn’t really worried because I’ve only been late once in a year.

We do a lot more talking in our interviews now. Any candidate I’m interested in is interviewing me/us as much as we are interviewing them. I’ve found the best candidates are the people that grill me.

This is definitely true, I’m talking about unskilled interviewers who don’t let a candidate get a word in, including questions. A good interview should feel like a conversation.

2 Likes

Yeah thats how it was. The 10% of the time I talked I legit had to kinda interrupt him lol. He asked me some basic questions in the beginning for like 5-10 minutes, then the rest of the time he talked barely stopping to breathe.

They left me an email, sounds like they’re going to offer me the job.

Is it reasonable to tell them the want to consider the offer first and give them an answer tomorrow?

Honestly I like where I work but it’s a 25% increase in pay

2 Likes

Congrats. They shouldn’t expect an answer right away.

Totally reasonable. I always take a day just to sleep on it and make sure.

Congrats!