Business & Management chat

Care to elaborate?

Well, first of all the average counteroffer to a 10% competitor raise always seems to be 5% plus some vague promises for some reason.

Even if they match 100%, it’s too fraught with the risk that your current employer/boss will effectively mark you with a scarlet letter forever for being the person that dared to look elsewhere and for whom they did a Big Favor that time that they reluctantly paid you your market price. Managers are ruthless data driven capitalists when they are limiting employee pay, and they turn into emotionally volatile scorned lovers when workers do anything about it.

3 Likes

If she does fine for the next year, the new employer will be delighted because they took a risk with a new hire and she didn’t turn out to be a psycho who was lying on her resume. The old employer will be pissed because they gave her a big raise and they’re getting the same old performance out of her.

6 Likes

2 Likes

seriously tho I was replying as I was falling asleep last night,

in addition to what mosdef said,

1. people who take counter offers are statistically extremely likely to leave their companies within 6 months anyway. Part of that is due to retaliation and part of that is due to #2…

2. you started looking for a new job for a reason, and that reason wasn’t 100% just money, was it? The other problems aren’t being addressed

3. it’s good for your professional development to get out into a new environment anyway

THere are situations where it’s just literally impossible to get a raise any way other than a counteroffer, and your boss knows that and understands what you’re doing and isn’t going to hold it against you, but in those cases I’d argue you have a bunch of other serious problems with the job anyway and you should GTFO ASAP.

2 Likes

I’ve done it twice with the same company and it’s worked out just fine. Neither time has anyone had hurt feelings or treated me different. I just end up making more money and everyone leaves me alone to do what I want.

Last time this happened back in October. The main reason I was looking was because I didn’t want to do my current role forever. They put together a career plan and I’ve been transitioning full time into the new role. My company is probably an outlier because they are legit good people so YMMV.

1 Like

A year ago, MrsWookie was looking for jobs because she didn’t like her boss and was frustrated with her work. She wasn’t able to land an offer before her old boss left and she got a nice promotion at her current employer. So, she’s currently pretty happy with her job, but she remained open to applying for things if something reasonably favorable came her way, mainly because a mentor coworker at her current job told her that she always tries to interview for at least one outside position per year, to stay sharp and see what’s out there. So, something pretty favorable did come her way.

#3 rings true with her, though, and in the hypothetical that her current employer can make a sufficiently good counter (neither of us think they will), I think she’s a favorite to leave anyway. I like @bobman0330’s argument, too.

Well, MrsWookie is officially taking the job. I know it seemed to many here like a no brainer, but she’s strongly risk averse and an overthinker, and we both appreciate the various arguments in here about good reasons to move on outside of the money. It helps settle some strong emotions in the right place.

9 Likes

Just found out I didn’t even get selected for an interview for a position that I thought would have been a really good fit.

If the only data points we had were my own personal experiences, this would be considered the worst job market in at least 20 years.

2 Likes

Are you a white male conservative? Social media keeps telling me they’re OPPRESSED.

1 Like

Only the first two adjectives. I don’t feel oppressed, just disheartened at how fucked I’m likely to be when the money runs out on the grants we have.

How was your application? CV and covering letter?

Happy to have a look for you. See of theres any leaks in your application game.

1 Like

Thanks, but I think they were fine. Other people looked it over and thought it was solid.

I don’t apply very frequently to jobs, only applying when I am certain I’m qualified. Averaging about 3 or 4 times per year recently. I think this is only the 3rd time I didn’t even get an interview out of like 25 applications in my life.

Well. Remember. Often its not about you. They might have already has some preferred candidates.

HR makes us interview people even if we already have an internal candidate we are 100% going to promote. It is so stupid.

I have been a part of that before on both sides. Agreed that it’s totally stupid.

I was told (by someone who should know) that this wasn’t the case with this position.

I’m not surprised I didn’t get hired, because all the mid-level jobs are ultra-ultra competitive. But I’m borderline floored I wasn’t even invited for an interview.

“That man has a point right there!”

1 Like

I spent some time conjuring up scenarios where I could generate high actual damages. It’s tough as the only real expense is the time spent (assuming prospective employer covers travel costs).

Best case would be if you could prove that you turned down another interview because of it AND you would have likely gotten that job. I am not a lawbro, but I imagine that would be super tough to prove, but damages would be yuuge.

Just fucking lol HR always. They are beyond useless unless it’s time to insulate a senior executive from accountability of any kind at which time they magically become competent. They’re basically eDems until a progressive shows up.

I can write a longer post about my recent job search one of these days, but I can tell you that in the past 6 months I was also very discouraged and questioning my actual value as a professional. Not to mention that I had quit my previous job thinking it would be easy to get a new one in this market (big mistake).

I applied to 50+ jobs, went through multiple rounds of interviews with several companies, was told by many that I had an amazing mix of skills, but that I did not fit within the organization or was over qualified.

Finally, I ended up getting a job two weeks ago. It was one where I thought I was a complete long shot and almost dropped it off to favor other interviews.

I recommend to apply to more places, expand your horizons, don’t be afraid of stepping out of your area of expertise, and reach out to as many people in your network as possible.

2 Likes