Business & Management chat

So, shameless barg (mostly), MrsWookie landed a job offer for a roughly 60% increase in salary, but for a job that is arguably a step down in responsibility. Without being too explicit, she got a nice promotion late last year at her current job to the point where she was starting to manage people in her previous role. Just one report so far, but the step up to having reports is important. She certainly enjoyed the increased responsibility along with the increase in salary from that earlier promotion. The new offer is for a job at her previous rank. Is there any argument that sticking with a role with reports is better for your long term prospects than going back to being the report? Not really sure how easy it is to make that sort of jump if she wants to try and make it either at the company of new role or from the new role to another company (our sample size at trying is her succeeding once and failing once, and me failing once).

On my end, I whiffed on one job application for what looked like a pretty good opportunity as the position got filled before an interview, but I at least have my new boss in my corner for a sympathy promotion. Weā€™ll see if that comes through and what else might come down the pipe.

I donā€™t think a general answer really works here. Itā€™s probably very specific to the company and industry.

Is this all within the same company? With such a huge increase would she be reporting to people who make less than she does?

60% is a lot. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d turn it down unless I had a super compelling reason and Iā€™m doubtful you will find it.

The big offer is from a new company in the same industry. Itā€™s a big company. One the one hand, Iā€™d have to doubt sheā€™d be reporting to people making less than she does, but on the other, big companies are exactly the sorts of entities who are not updating the salaries of enduring employees while paying big for new ones, so Iā€™m not sure.

The current offer might not have as much PTO+holidays, but thatā€™s something we both thought she could make a counteroffer about. She seemed to like the person she would be reporting to, because obviously a hellish boss is ample reason to turn down more money. Sheā€™d been hoping to slip into one particular niche in this industry, but neither her current role nor this new one are in it. Those are the issues sheā€™s raised so far, but maybe there are some things sheā€™s feeling that are yet to come to light.

Yeah, I think she has to take it. In a couple of years, use the salary from this company and the title/experience from the last company to jump ship again into an even better role (and hopefully in the right niche).

depends on the industry

in some fields being a top individual contributor is way, way ā€œbetter for your long term prospectsā€ than being another middle manager

Seems crazy to turn down a 60% raise if the sole issue is job title/responsibility.

3 Likes

I am never turning down a 60% raise. Ever. For any reason other than potential unhappiness.

Way better compā€™s way better comp, but the long-term benefit of a better title could be anything. It could even be way better comp!

5 Likes

Need some advice as I have myself all turned around on something.

I started a new role with a start up on Monday, April 11. I get paid once a month, on the last biz day of the month (today, for April).

My paycheck was 66% of a full monthā€™s compensation. My math says that my paycheck should be 71% of a full monthā€™s compensation. My reasoning: there are 21 business days in April, and I worked 15 of them. 15/21 = 0.71.

The founderā€™s logic for 66% is that there are 30 days in the month, and I was an employee for 20 of them. 20/30 = 0.66.

Which one is correct?

You are but thereā€™s zero chance you are going to make them see that or change so drop it.

Thank you, but donā€™t be such a pessimist.

Iā€™m going to convince him that Iā€™m correct.

hqdefault

6 Likes

Try doing it by hours worked compared to your expected monthly hours.

1 Like

The founders logic is illegal from quick research.

See (c) below. It has to be rated towards time missed.

So by their logic, if you started next month in May, Monday is May 2nd. Theyā€™d only pay you for 30/31 days but you would have worked the same as everyone else. Fuck that. Pretty sure thatā€™s illegal too.

1 Like

Are you only expected to work on business days?

Thanks all. Lol me, but I donā€™t think it was nefarious (sweetsummerchild).

He said heā€™d correct it.

1 Like

So, MrsWookie seems poised to accept the new job offer. Yay! She was even able to negotiate for a an extra week of vacation, two professional development days, and a small amount of professional development funds to match her current job on top of it all. Double yay! Her current boss says he wants to make a counteroffer after she first told him she wanted to move on. Neither of us think they can legitimately match the offer, but MrsWookie is generally disinclined to make big moves. So, any horror or success stories about getting convinced to stay on with your old job? I am inclined to make a clean break, but I donā€™t have much in the way of personal anecdotes to bring to the decision making process.

2 Likes

I personally would never take a counteroffer and advise people not to do it in 99% of situations.

3 Likes