Business & Management chat

From personal experience, the type of person doing this (if this is not super out of character) will place zero attention to the time stamp of your response. Passive aggressive won’t work. You are going to want to set clear boundaries (in a firm but pilot way) or welcome to 24x7 always on!

Can he tell from his side that you have this installed on your phone? Maybe he just thought he was pinging you and you would see it next time you logged in?

I work a weird nonconsecutive hours schedule now (not what I signed up for!) due to global responsibilities, and a change in meeting participants and corporate philosophy. So I’m frequently working early in the morning or late at night. I’ll never ping anybody unless I see they are on and active, but used to send emails to my reports expecting them to answer when they get around to it. Problem is, some of them answer ASAP, no matter when I send them. I’ve talked to them and said I don’t expect answers right away, I’m just sending when convenient for me, but it doesn’t matter. I think they feel like they have to answer immediately for some reason… So now sometimes I just draft stuff for people working standard core hours and hit send later.

JFC what a coincidence, Just logged into work and my boss has been pinging me (I uninstalled that shit from my phone) since 7:30 AM for something he needs by 9 for budget meetings. It’s going to take an hour or so of work so it looks like he’s out of luck.

Back in the day there were probably a fair number of jobs / companies / industries where it made sense to bust your ass, always step up and be available, etc. Hard to justify in today’s environment where everyone is dispensable and you’ll have far more success climbing the salary ladder by job-hopping every 2 years than by kicking ass at your job.

There still are jobs like that out there, but only when you have at least semi scarce skills and both you and the company know it. Then all of a sudden they’re bending over backwards to keep you happy and you don’t even have to ask them to keep up with market rate pay.

I’m surprised that isn’t how it is on the revenue generating side of commercial banking actually.

1 Like

The problem in banking is endless consolidation / mergers. If your bank gets acquired you’re almost certainly fucked because the acquiring bank already has a guy covering your customers and that guy is probably friends with the guy who decides which person to keep.

Also while being a good lender adds massive value, you only really find out who the good lenders are once a decade when the shit hits the fan. And even if you personally are great, if some other dingbats cause the bank to lose a bunch of money it’s probably going to negatively impact you.

That makes sense.

In logistics the relationship between the account manager and the customer is literally everything, and no other human being has the combination of relationship with the customer and the trucks who actually move the freight that the account manager does. The acquiring company is in a mad scramble to retain every single one of those people the day the deal closes. Even when the acquiring company also has a relationship with the customer (most common setup for this by far is the military) they’re usually going to try to keep both account managers on the payroll doing what they already do… and then pray they can keep some of the guy who quit’s business if one of them quits.

This is absolutely a cheat code right now. You should start hunting for your new job as soon as you can competently do your current job. Going “above and beyond” is a leak.

it’s been a cheat code for at least 12 years.

1 Like

Wouldn’t he be paying short term capital gains rates?

I’m in a spot where my wife has equity in a private company and it just sold, I think her equity is technically in some form of options but she will be getting paid out everything in a lump sum during the next month or two. I’m assuming we’ll be paying our full income tax rate on that, no way around it right?

In Slack, go to Settings > Notifications > Notification Schedule and adjust hours as desired. Even better, if someone tries to send you a message outside of that window, Slack reminds them that you’re outside of
your notification hours.

1 Like

I do most “business” through slack. I send maybe 2-3 work emails per year. Everything else slack and zoom. I’m not sure what the normal real world email culture (for non software engineers) is TBH, I don’t have it on my phone and nothing important is ever emailed to me outside of meeting invites.

I get about 1000 emails per day. Most are nonsense and can be ignored, but it’s still a chore sifting through all the BS to figure out which ones need to be read carefully and addressed on one way or another.

1 Like

eh I get like 30 a day too but I have rules to mark them as read because they’re all automated and useless.

BTW props on using my favorite of all time business word here.

I didn’t fix the problem.
I didn’t work on the problem.
I didn’t make the client happy by delivering what they needed on the problem.
I addressed the problem.

2 Likes

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. +1

1 Like

i’m thinking how to exercise my options upon leaving a place. it seems i should have been paying attention to FMV price at least at the end of every year, and whether i had any room to exercise without hitting AMT. after holding a year i would be able to sell them via secondary markets and count them as long-term cap gains. not sure if this is in any way logical, thought i’d ask.

Show me how the other suggestions work in that sentence?

Most are nonsense and can be ignored, but it’s still a chore sifting through all the BS to figure out which ones need to be read carefully and fixed one way or another. Nope

Most are nonsense and can be ignored, but it’s still a chore sifting through all the BS to figure out which ones need to be read carefully and worked on one way or another. Maybe but meh

Most are nonsense and can be ignored, but it’s still a chore sifting through all the BS to figure out which ones need to be read carefully to make the client happy delivering what they need one way or another. Nope

Addressed or maybe responded to are the best choices, and some of them need to be addressed without being responded to, so seems like a case of proper English using addressed. But let me reach out to my contacts and see if they have any other thoughts for words that might be more appropriate moving forward.

Bob will correct me if I’m wrong, but I think options are taxed at ordinary income rates (on the difference between the exercise price and the market price). If you own shares in a business (public or private) for more than a year, long term capital gains rates apply. I think.

1 Like

At my last job, I never considered quitting because I knew it would be difficult to find another one because my previous job search took 1 year of looking then 2 years of grad school to eventually find a job that requires a bachelor’s. When I lost that job right about 12 years ago, it took me about 24 hours to realize I probably wouldn’t find another one. That became definite after 2 years of searching.

Internet tone is hard etc but I’m not making fun of you if thats what you think, I legitimately use that word constantly to show that “the thing is resolved. Its not up for debate, its not in progress, it doesn’t need more ““eyeballs””, its done, its over.”.

But again its doesn’t explicitly say hey things are now better for whoever it was that raised whatever issue. It is, super serious here, the best all time business word. “Oh Mr Foo connected with me about a problem he’s been having with project Bar.” “Oh yeah, I have addressed that.”

Actually the elite level version is the passive voice. “I have addressed the problem” can easily be followed up with “What did you do to the address the problem?”. “The problem has been addressed” is much harder to follow up on, and yeah past tense even more closes the door. :+1:

2 Likes