Business & Management chat

Is the 4 day work week 50 hours crammed into 4 days?

1 Like

Iā€™m not really looking but am slightly tempted to talk to recruiter as its a SV job and may be able to match my total comp but Iā€™m really golden handcuffed as I got my RSU grant 3 years ago when the stock was 1/4 what it is now.

OK Iā€™ll talk to a recruiter for the first time in 4 years this will be a thing. My first question is ā€œhow do your employees like their 10 hour days?ā€

Iā€™m hoping that the troubling times we live in will allow software people to get SV wages and not live in SV guess weā€™ll see, if I canā€™t get a 20% bump in TC forget it.

1 Like

My wife was in a situation like that when she took a VP roll at a different company. She had a ton in unvested RSUs at the place she was leaving so they couldnā€™t match everything she was walking away from but she did negotiate a big signing bonus based on that.

1 Like

Itā€™s definitely possible to get SV wages at least on the non coding/dev side of the business.

lmao it really was 10 hour days

5 Likes

Given that USA#~17 ainā€™t giving up a 40-hr work week, Iā€™d much rather work 4 10s than 5 8s.

I work 80 in 9 and take every other Friday off. Think itā€™s the best of both worlds.

Software place Iā€™m at no one works more than 30hrs a week, but they donā€™t pay very well* considering they are SF based - not even the principles make that much. (clients are mostly non-profits)

*not really complaining. I love it there.

2 Likes

ya with 1 wife and no kids 10 hour days isnā€™t a huge deal just pretty hilarious this place advertises 4 days a week but not that they still expect 40 hours. Iā€™m gonna talk to them again why not as it was heavily implied that I could get what I think is a 50% total comp bump and theyā€™ve already IPOed successfully. Still canā€™t figure out what the fuck they really do or what a ā€œERPā€ is.

I donā€™t see how they can expect you to put in full effort for an entire 10 hour day of erotic roleplay.

6 Likes

Today, after telling a project manager in a different business unit that we couldnā€™t meet his requested timelines, I got the old ā€œcopy in people higher and higher up the ladderā€ routine, presumably thinking I would change my tune once higher ups were in the communication. Like, if I thought we could do it I wouldnā€™t have said we couldnā€™t when first requested by the project manager. I feel like changing my tune when a director and then a VP gets copied in would make me look worse. So of course I just copied and pasted the same response 3 times.

5 Likes

Waitā€¦ at your job they donā€™t start by copying half the c-suite, and escalate from there? Rookies.

Lol gratuitous email copying. The worst.

Definitely, I worked a manual labor job for the county that was 4 10s and it was awesome. 3 day weekends easily worth the 2 extra hours per day

2 Likes

The lol here is the recruiterā€™s name, right?

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty honored and overwhelmed that theyā€™re considering me for this role. You might even say Iā€™m

this is the thirstiest thing Iā€™ve ever seen

1 Like