Business & Management chat

Glad we got to experience the angst and stress together lol.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know. If I was the client I would be asking why you didnā€™t just give me that price to begin with.

I know when I was writing proposals at my old job, if the client said it was too much, I would rewrite it but cut services. Often times we had a conversation that went ā€œgreat. We can cut a couple of thousand out. Which services do you think you donā€™t need?ā€

Otherwise Iā€™d expect their response to be the same as mine above ā€œwhy the fuck did you give me this proposal for $150,000 when you could do the work for $125,000?ā€.

I guess because Iā€™m a for profit business, and so is my client, so weā€™re both trying to find a deal where we can agree and maximize profit. If I propose $125K, the clientā€™s not going to offer $150K because they can pay that for the work.

We were for profit too. But it was professional services, which may be different than what you do.

Agree it may just be different dynamics of different businesses. I was unclear - I was using the royal ā€œIā€; I assumed yours is a for profit business also.

1 Like

Gotcha. No biggie. This was an architecture firm, but I also experienced it from the other side when I was getting proposals from subconsultant engineering firms. The whole industry knows the costs and the range of ā€œfairā€ so it would look odd to cut the proposal by 15% but not cut any services.

When the right hand not only doesnā€™t know what the left hand is doing, but may not actually know that the left hand existsā€¦

Thread (spoiler: he actually goes to the interview):

https://twitter.com/Firr/status/1456324664628846599?t=oDt3xb8BvcT1CG-ZrS-FtA&s=19

9 Likes

Funny thread. Iā€™m skeptical though - people went through a serious interview with him after he showed up in a stick-on fake moustache?

Yeah, it does seem unlikely, but Iā€™ve also seen enough candid camera - type shows to realize that people will roll with some pretty absurd situations. IF itā€™s true, I really want a counter thread from the hiring managerā€¦

Yeah, I did one session of interviews where one candidate had obviously lied on her resume and had literally zero of the technical expertise she claimed to have (how she passed the phone interview with my boss I have no idea), and another candidate in the rotation insulted our CEO to our head of HR. Both of them completed their interviews. Iā€™m sure everyone involved was just like, well, weā€™ll go through the motions for the rest of this and then never see them again.

Wouldnā€™t question one be - what was you last job? Iā€™ve never seen a resume that doesnā€™t list who the last employer was.

Youā€™re probably right. If a candidate showed up with a goofy fake moustache Iā€™d probably make some joking comment about it and then pretty much carry on with the interview, under the assumption that heā€™s not getting hired.

1 Like

Now Iā€™m disappointed in myself. I left my former job last December and a month or two later got an email from a recruiter trying to set up an interview with my old company for my old job. I just responded ā€œthatā€™s my old companyā€ but apparently I missed some lols

You should have asked him to go in your stead.

good-will-hunting-favorite-scene-5

1 Like

This is amazing. I literally burst out laughing several times.

Yeah, this is totally standard. If the tendency to just go through the motions wasnā€™t so prevalent, Borat wouldnā€™t be a thing.

How big of a deal is lying on a resume? I was thinking instead of putting I was a lead for 6 months and now a supervisor for 6 months just put I was a supervisor for a year?

Trying to think of how to spruce up my resume. Iā€™m starting to think I definitely need to leave this place, especially while wages are so good. Lots of people are leaving now and if it keeps up this place wonā€™t have enough people to run it.

I talked to the OPS manager and told him whats happening, How many of the people left are also talking of leaving.

He says he knows and heā€™s pushing super hard to raise wages. I guess they had a talk with the CEO and the people who own the company and in our meeting with all the leaders they addressed it and said they plan on " getting creative " which to mean sounds like they plan on being stupid.

I think you just want to avoid explicitly lying, for example instead of saying you were a supervisor for 12 months on your resume you would say you were at XYZ Corp for 12 months and your first bullet point would say ā€œSupervised blah blah blahā€.

3 Likes

Yeah, an explicit lie is not always gonna get you fired, but itā€™s cause to. Most Iā€™d do would be listing current title and the total time Iā€™d been with the company.

2 Likes

I also used ā€œprogression to job titleā€ in some roles. Then make one of your bullets being promoted.

1 Like