Business & Management chat

Yes, but I think you can give you current company the option to match before you sign the offer letter.

1 Like

Wait so once I turn it in my company no longer has the option to match? It’s not the hiring paper work just the offer letter.

Nvm looked it up and saw it’s binding that I accept the position. Shit sounds like me just saying I accept the offer is legally binding

Your company definitely can match. This is America homey you can tell someone yes you accept and then tell them to fuck off I got another job an hour later.

2 Likes

I highly doubt the position you are thinking of accepting is actually legally binding… That would honestly blow my mind. If so just accept then quit. It’s not a duration contract is it?

Even if it was “binding”, you are almost certainly an employee-at-will. Which means you can just quit your new job anyway! But if you really do want to see if your current employer will match, the time to do it is before you accept a new offer. It’s just bad business burning possible future bridges to accept an offer and then bail.

3 Likes

I always read that having your current employer match your offer and staying with the current employer is a bad idea. That they’ll just be looking to replace you and if they thought you were worth it they would already be paying you more.

Might be IT specific.

1 Like

I think this is generally true. Its too risky that petty people will forever resent you for getting the better offer on the first place, even if they match.

1 Like

I’m not sure they’ll be looking to replace you necessarily, but you definitely won’t be high on the list for any new plum assignments or advancement.

1 Like

I don’t have any data on this but I want to believe that even making a counteroffer is a sign of a weak manager

1 Like

Yeah I know I just need to leave, it’s that fucking empathy fucking me up lol. Like I have a ton of anxiety sitting down with the ops manager and HR and telling them I’m leaving.

But like I said 1 supervisor and two leads have already left, drivers are leaving, and they aren’t even attempting to replace them. They just announced a position for that first lead that left over two months ago. Place is a shit show. There is basically zero money in the budget to pay people and afaik they aren’t even profitable this year. All signs point to this place being fucked. I do think if I stayed and things worked out I could be a manager in a couple years but honestly I doubt they even make that much based off of how little they pay their supervisors compared to market rate.

3 Likes

I had a full on panic attack when I quit my last job. So badly wanted to just send an email but that’s such a bad look. They were pissed, but at the end of the day it’s easy to default to “I have to do what’s best for me and my family.” Don’t get sucked into a long back and forth - no benefit.

6 Likes

The strategy that I’ve finally discovered, as an excessive empath, is to work on pointing that empathy in the right directions rather than just trying to turn it off. So I’m allowed to care for a company that I’ve worked at and built relationships in, but I also think deliberately about how the benefits of my decisions will impact myself/family/friends/etc.

You seem like an awesome dude, who will likely do awesome things with the increased salary/opportunity/etc. Don’t lose sight of that when doing your calculus.

5 Likes

Thank you I really appreciate that, and I will take that advice. I already feel a little better putting it in that perspective.

3 Likes

This wait is killing me. I have 0 patience on stuff like this. How long from the interview would you guys wait to reach out. I reached out the next day to tell the HR person to give my thanks to the interviewer. The job req expired last night from their website. Interview was Friday and now it’s Wednesday.

I think it would be fair to follow up on Friday or next Monday. If your ask on comp was above was was budgeted or targeted for the position, I could see it taking 1-2 weeks for a company to get its act together around formulating an offer and getting it approved. It’s always struck me as crazy that it takes that long, but it is what it is.

2 Likes

Send them an email in all caps that says “WHERE THE FUCK IS MY OFFER U WONT FIND BETTER, ADD 10% EACH DAY CHRIST”

They may have other candidates being interviewed on different days and need to go over them as a group. Try to take it in stride, give it another few days.

7 Likes

I also think people - myself included - get way too paranoid about what the right timing is for follow ups, exactly how to word thank-you’s, etc. If they’ve identified you as the right candidate, popping in to ask for an update on the process a few days too early or too late isn’t going to change that. And if they’re keyed in on someone else, then your follow-up isn’t getting you the offer.

4 Likes

So you’re agreeing with my advice!

1 Like

Is it abnormal to ask during the interview what the timeline is and when you should follow up if you haven’t heard from them in x days?

The key question is what is a “couple of days”.