Burning it down

You are describing the current state of mass incarceration, law enforcement murdering us, and our environment being poisoned with impunity.

No doubt it could get worse, but if we don’t act the unnecessary death and incarceration of millions will continue unabated.

The people most scared of unrest are the wealthy whose net worth keep skyrocketing. I will take their fear as a good sign.

9 Likes

Hard to believe no one jumped in to try to stop the 3 policemen slowly murdering a man. 4 policemen if you count the one standing lookout. I don’t know what made any of those cowardly people think that police are brutal and can do anything to them.

3 Likes

The US military :rofl:

No offense, but you have no fucking idea what you’re talking about. Like they’re gonna send F-16s to drop payloads from the sky lmao! Look how much fear and panic throngs of people with rocks are causing the establishment right now. I was at a protest yesterday and there is a large one building down the street from my apartment now. They have at least the grocery store and some others blockaded on my block. It’s getting pretty scary, but I think we’ve seen the worst of the Floyd protests for now. It’s still not the level of protest I’d like to see, but when that one comes, hope that butter knife of yours keep ya safe

It’s not OK, it’s just a fact that American police will continue to kill people (1,099 in 2019), and those people will be mostly Black. I’m not advocating for the death of anything but the careers of people who can’t safely perform their job.

Yeah it’s amazing people can think that innocent people aren’t losing their houses, belongings, and lives in the current system and it’s only getting worse

2 Likes

I understand how bad a civil war can be. A little rebellion now can forestall a civil war or acquiescence to an oppressive state. I can talk about a little blood now because it’s better than a river of blood later.

One election won’t change the force of history, certainly not with the choices we currently have before us.

A future fight will be whether we can address climate change with minimal bloodshed instead of fighting a world war to force recalcitrant states into reworking their economies into a greener form. This is relative child’s play compared to that.

We are agreeing that it can get worse. Most likely, it will. The rich won’t just roll over and say, “my bad”.

Trump was installed with the minority vote. His party is actively doing the voter suppression on steroids. We can’t rely on a rigged voting system, when the best case scenario is a corporate backed ghoul with a D rather than an R in front of their name.

My bro in law is already locked up for 20+ years for crime he didn’t commit.

My sister gets profiled damn near every day driving her car.

Our friends don’t have health care and barely have jobs.

Those are anectodotes that exemplify the over all data.

I love every moment that I breath. But the status quo can go fuck itself.

6 Likes

Zara, I’m trying to understand your perspective. Could you share what country you live in?

One of the problems in the US is that the law doesn’t seem to apply to the police. It also doesn’t seem to apply to politicians or the wealthy elite.

When the law does not provide justice, you can either suffer injustice or go outside the law to seek justice.

4 Likes

I appreciate your perspective and sharing. I beleive you and I, and possibly others are speaking past each other in this thread to some extent.

I agree that actual civil war would be worse in many ways.

But I dont have to imagine a civil war to imagine my sister being raped, it happened in this system, multiple times(no convictions or arrests). And I don’t have to imagine a reality where her husband is killed, because his prison sentence is effectively a death sentence.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/RobertDeNiroUS/status/1267146599639236613

3 Likes

How can we possibly be cross talking at this level? It’s not the looters JT, it’s the fucking cops!! They are completely out of control! You just said it yourself. They’re spraying people randomly with mace, shooting rubber bullets at innocent bystanders, and in at least one instance I saw, drove two squad cars into a crowd almost ala Heather Heyer style. Oh yeah, and you also might need to protect yourself from some of the MAGAts who are either too dumb or too racist to know which side they should be on

I’m seriously done with this conversation. I’m not even sure if I’m trying to warn you that it really might come to burning it all down and if so, you might want to join the fight and/or at least protect yourself, or if I need to persuade those on the left and right who don’t understand they have more in common with each other than the establishment and should be on the same team. It’s a real mess compounded by battling a pandemic, an economic depression, and potential riots by some who don’t even know what side they’re supposed to be on (not saying that’s you. I know you’re on the side of justice for Floyd, but there are other factors intertwined)

Edit: I should also add that it’s not all police forces, but far too many have the tyranny storm trooper culture

1 Like

The only way there’ll be a revolution is if unarmed white people start getting murdered by cops.

So long as the government doesn’t fuck over white people, there won’t be a revolution for at least the next 20 years. Once the majority demographic becomes Hispanic, we’ll see American Apartheid as a mostly white Congress oppresses the majority Hispanic population.

1 Like

My parents are from a country that was “burned down”. They and many others ran from that country the first moment they could when the “burn it downers” took over.

The people that dream about a tear down of society to “rebuild new” in their image have no idea nor have a clue what that really means. I see white people talking about burning it all down… Like how privileged and out of touch are these kids?

My grandfather had wealth in that country (food inport / export). The “burn it downers” confiscated everything to re-distribute, threw him in jail for 2 years, while he had 8 kids to feed… Yeah burn it down.

1 Like

Worse than cops murdering people with impunity, firing on citizens and journalists, and terrorizing their local governments into compliance? Something is happening, but you don’t know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones?

1 Like

It probably could get much worse, yes.

Note that this isn’t to say that therefore you ought to just accept the status quo, but I think it’s pretty naive to think there’s no risk or that it can’t be much, much worse if society breaks down. I’m worried that there’s a lot of magical thinking involved when people answer questions about how “burning it down” will help by waving their hands and imagining the revolution which leads to justice for all.

I understand my vote is a privileged one from a white male living in Australia but burning it down seems to be the only option left in the USA. Peaceful protesting has been tried many times now and it is not getting better. The core still needs to be massive peaceful protests but when the police responds to that with violence then what other option is there.

I definitely think everyone on the “burn it all down” side needs to estimate a probability that what comes out of the burning is something other than a white nationalist dictatorship. It would help sort the nihilists from the merely delusional.

4 Likes

And why do you think that is?

So long as the majority are comfortable, there won’t be enough power to overthrow the government.