Bump This Thread When Jimmy Carter Outlives Someone Nonterrible

I actually like some things about Chomsky, other than his politics and linguistics. His review of Verbal Behavior killed BF Skinner’s credibility, he hates postmodernism, and he craps on chat GPT, all good things. Still, you have to come in, as usual, as a jerk because your political views are based on some kind of leftist fantasy. I’m sure Chomsky meant well, but his politics are lame.

You’re lame. Your politics are listening to half wit podcasters who are proud of themselves for pretending not to despise all the people they, and you, imagine yourself better than.

:frowning:

https://x.com/Paul_Shrupert/status/1803176614102000018?t=4zynpW14XD-sETnSeW45Qw&s=19

2 Likes

Chomsky was right about some stuff and wrong about some stuff (aren’t we all?) but in my opinion his “net” impact is almost certainly a positive because he advanced valid anti-imperialism and anti-capitalism arguments. Americans have been living in a pro-imperialism / pro-capitalism propaganda saturated political culture forever, people like Chomsky are pretty darned important to break up parts of the mono-culture that are basically evil.

4 Likes

1 Like

If we are putting Noam in the bad people thread just burn it all down

2 Likes

I wanted to troll about Willie Mays but I’m not even that big of an asshole

Willie Mays only got to play baseball because of DEI, prove me wrong.

1 Like

We hate everybody. Welcome to the internet.

1 Like

So much this.

They use different formulas for WAR because of DEI

1 Like

Reminded me of The Gangstas getting a 2 count in Smoky Mountain Wrestling due to affirmative action.

Jim Cornette is a génius.

3 Likes

Well, if it isn’t a guy with a good podcast with a detailed critique on Chomsky’s thoughts on foreign policy.

Only could read the first part because too lazy to sign up for a free trial, but the bit about Chomsky not giving W credit for recognizing Saddam was a bastard when Chomsky had recognized him as such is pretty brutal.

Edit: as in W deserved zero credit for that

Though Chomsky was right that the Iraq war was a bad idea, it’s notable that he refused to give the U.S. any credit for turning on a dictator that he had previously criticized it for supporting. It was not the nature of America’s action in the world that drew his animus — it was the fact of American action itself. Chomsky’s north star as a foreign policy thinker — his fixed belief, around which all of his other beliefs revolved, and to whose contours they were forced to mold themselves — was that America is an Evil Empire bent on world domination. To borrow Imre Lakatos’ terminology, “America bad” was the core of Chomsky’s foreign policy thought, and everything else was an expendable periphery .

Chomsky being correct about the Iraq War puts him in the top 5% of pundits, regardless of whether he was wrong about the details.

Didn’t read that article, but that paragraph is remarkably stupid. How cherrypicked is it?

Your dunk is that some guy who you think has a good podcast wrote a 5 paragraph blog about how Chomsky didn’t give W enough credit for saying Saddam was bad after Chomsky had been saying Saddam was bad for a couple decades? Devastating.

quoting Noah

But just as in 1991, Chomsky staunchly asserted that America’s claimed reasons for invading Iraq were lies

uh…

George W. Bush, great POTUS or greatest POTUS?

1 Like

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1803836937809133775

5 Likes