Bump This Thread When Jimmy Carter Outlives Someone Nonterrible

You make some good points. I like the ice cream sandwiches with a thin wafer cookie. Truly counter intuitive to think that the perfect sandwich has above tier ice cream but a deliberately mid tier cookie combo, but that’s the delicious equation.

Pretty stunning news

@spidercrab

Yeah, this is out of the blue and really sad. Only 24 years old and had a very real chance to become the first person to ever break 2 hours for the marathon, an achievement that would be comparable to Roger Bannister breaking the 4 minute mile in terms of it being viewed as an impossibility at the time.

To give a sense for how extreme his world record was, here’s the trend of the marathon world record over the last 20 years:

Not only did he crush the most recent record by more than 30 seconds, he was the first to break it on a non-Berlin course. I think he was going to aim for sub-2 hours at this year’s Berlin race, and it would have been awesome to see it happen.

That’s wild. What is it about the Berlin course that makes it dominate that list? No uphill stretches? All tail wind? Beer and bratwurst make you run faster?

A quick perusal turned up flatness, few corners, good weather, and running on asphalt as commonly-cited reasons.

1 Like

Nah it’s gotta me a metric conversion issue. (I have no clue).

They were all let into Berghain the night before their races

1 Like

Even for weekend warrior types Berlin is known to be fast. My friend who was a good runner (but no Olympian) went to Berlin to try to make a Boston qualifying time.

I have an old work friend who immigrated from Ethiopia.

A few years back after we were both at different companies he gave me a call on a layover

Him- hey how’s it going. I’m on a layover heading back home from Boston

Me- you had some work in Boston?

Him-I ran the marathon

Me-wow that impressive what was your time

Him 2:43

Me. Holy shit

Dude was in his mid to late 40s at the time. Doesn’t train much since he got married and had 3-4 kids later in life.

I remember playing basketball together- he’d never stop. You’d be dying if you were guarding him. Prolly about 5’6” and thin but wiry muscles. His only problem is that he to seemed have disproportionately short arms so he gacked quite a few of the long outlet pass down the court. We would then chant “alligator, all-ee-gator”

Way sucks about this guy dying like that. The first sub 2 hour marathon was in his sights.

here’s to a real one.

Speaking to The Times, he observed, “People who grow up with calculators have no number sense.”

I kind of want to dispute this but I’m not sure he’s wrong. I was watching the ABC Titan submersible documentary and their expert was talking about the implosion happening in nanoseconds. Nanoseconds! So, like a significant fraction of the speed of light. Ok, buddy.

We were taught how to use a slide rule in high school. Even though they had gotten cheap, it was a big ask for my parents to buy me a calculator when I was a senior but they did. I remember the cheap feel and unreliable response of the buttons. (Honestly though, that hasn’t gotten a lot better on cheap models even today.)

i never had a slide rule in school, but my grandfather had several of his old slide rules and even a slide dial in his junk drawer. one of the things i wish i did is save those. it would go right next to my high school programming calculator. everyone had a TI, but i had ordered the HP48GX through a catalog. i probably don’t remember how to do anything on it anymore, but never letting it go. :sob:

HP48GX

Ha, I had one in college. Very nice calculator. HP knew keys. It was overkill though. In grad school I got by comfortably with my nice compact HP32S, which I still have. I gave the 48GX to my sister, who sold it on eBay for like $80 about 10 years ago. :cry:

disown her

I’m getting a little low on family and friends so I can’t do that. Besides, I’m the one who told her to sell it for whatever she could get. :man_shrugging:

i kid, i kid. just looked and they are still only ~$200 on ebay. kids these days just don’t appreciate historical artifacts

Wow. I must have the Biden memory thing. I probably had the G model.

My friend had an hp in high school (around ‘82). The old rpn. Reverse Polish Notation.

He had his back door fly open and it slid out into a ditch on a country corner. We didn’t have time to look for it so we went back and found it later.

After minor re-assembly it still worked.

I did a cursory search and didn’t come up with anything political. Hopefully this stays here.

My favorites:

Strawberry or brown sugar cinnamon. Frosted for both. Eat the dry edges first.

3 Likes

My favourite flavour was people

7 Likes