Bump This Thread When Jimmy Carter Outlives Someone Nonterrible

Lol, I thought Boney M was from the US until I looked them up just now! Then not so weird.

Yes I am, and not very surprised.

Boney M had some great songs (for what they were) but Rasputin is an absolute crime against humanity.

I had heard of Boney M, but had no idea they were German.

Right???

Never heard of Boney M. I listened to the top 5 songs of theirs on YouTube and none of them rang a bell

Iā€™m so confusedā€¦

1 Like

I am just as confused. I really thought they were a world-wide phenomenon. Seems like they were, more or less, they just missed the U.S. somehow.

Edit: Like, I am Canadian, and if I polled my 100 closest acquaintances, Iā€™d take the over on 95 of them being able to name (and recite lyrics from) at least one Boney M song.

Put another way, they were roughly as big as Aqua here. You not knowing ā€œRasputinā€ is as weird to me as me never hearing of ā€œBarbie Girlā€ would be to you.

youā€™ve definitely heard the first one if you watch tv at all

1 Like

Honestly I got nothing. I tried to look up to see if there was a tv connection I was missing and didnā€™t see anything.

The melody from that song is the hook on this one, which has been used in numerous stateside commercials:

I have actually liked the Boney M songs linked here. But I am certain I have never heard of them before :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Iā€™ve never heard of them either. Have definitely heard that Gotta Go Home hook before but couldnā€™t place it, and have heard Rasputin mostly because itā€™s a recent TikTok dance revival. But have never in my life heard of ā€œBoney Mā€.

Recently I randomly saw a discussion in a Reddit thread praising Boney M. with many posts talking about how good and legendary they are. It left me scratching my head because that was the first time I had ever heard of them.

Now Iā€™m actually Iā€™m kind of relieved that others here havenā€™t heard of them too.

No clue wtf a bony m is but seems like an interesting fellow rip

1 Like

Yea Iā€™ve never heard of Boney M. but I recognize 2 of those songs. I canā€™t place them though. Iā€™m guessing Iā€™ve heard them on tik tok.

Boney M was featured prominently in an episode of Black Mirror this year.

Saw this documentary in the theaters (in high school) and the only thing I remember about it is the song and

ā€œBloody hell Iā€™m gonna die to Boney Mā€

Never heard of Boney M, but I know Sunny

And they are more well known for the video than that one song.

Started playing some Boney M at dinner tonight and found out my daughter knows Rasputin from ā€œJust Danceā€

Ive only heard of Rasputin by them and am completely shocked that people havenā€™t heard that song before. Itā€™s from before my time, from overseas, not on the radio stations I listen to (except maybe one sometimes) and Iā€™ve probably heard it well over 100 times in my life.