Bump This Thread When Jimmy Carter Outlives Someone Nonterrible

He definitely looks Irish.

1 Like

There must be more. Like Florida Senator Mark O’Rubio.

7 Likes

And the most famous Irishman of all, former president Barack Hussein O’Bama

7 Likes
1 Like

Maxi Jazz, lead vocalist of the band Faithless, has died aged 65.

1 Like

Ironically, he died peacefully in his sleep.

2 Likes

RIP true greatness.

10 Likes

Possibly the biggest worldwide sports star in history. Who comes close? Ali?

I mean, fuck, I was a 6 year old boy in California in 1989 who chose 10 as his soccer number to be like him. Who has that kind of pull?

Honestly, that’s the only one I can think of. Perhaps Mike Tyson too.

Messi and Ronaldo come close but it took a while for them to break into North America as a thing.

I didn’t know anything about soccer as a kid (nor do I now), but I knew Pele.

I don’t think he’s quite Pele/Ali level, but Jordan has to be next level down at worst.

Ronaldo and Messi have been huge since they were like 16. Pretty much global superstars by 18.

Ronaldo has the most followers of anyone in the world, Messi has the most liked post ever.

Tyson below Tiger for sure.

Jordan didn’t really become an international star until the early 90s when the Dream Team dominated the Olympics.

Honestly, Kobe Bryant was way bigger and more well-known in China than even Yao Ming, let alone Jordan. I mean basketball was the most popular sport among teen boys and young adults in China when I lived there.

Just told my wife, “Holy shit! Pele just died.” She had no idea who I was talking about. We are both 50. I would have bet that just about anyone on the planet our age would know Pele. I had to explain that he’s, “The Gretzky of soccer”.

1 Like

Who?

12 Likes

About to try this with my wife (late 30s) will report back

Pele almost made soccer a thing in the US. As big as soccer is now, pele was much bigger here than the likes of Messi now. Was crazy how popular he was.

NASL!

2 Likes

Dustin Johnson’s father in law.

3 Likes

I remember seeing Pele play for the NY Cosmos at the newly renovated (Old) Yankee Stadium in 1976. I had been asking my dad to take me to a soccer game for a couple of years. Finally, he agreed we could go if the Cosmos signed Pele. :grin:

One of the pictures I took as a 13 year old with a Kodak Instamatic:

20 Likes

Success, she knew

1 Like