Britney - I'm a Slave 4 U

I’d say the number of musical artists who haven’t been fucked over by the industry is pretty small.

2 Likes

Care to speculate on what the implications might be for her to just go rogue?

It’s not you directly. There is a post that makes a lot of assumptions that assume
A girls are stupid and need saving
B authorities are smart so they must be trusted

You asked the question about missing something. You missed what I thought was a very misogynistic post.

Forgive me. I just assumed that we all are rooting for her so anyone speculating on the matter is just thinking out loud.

2 Likes

Damn. That’s tragic.

That’s about an order of magnitude less than she ought to have.

She had a residency but that’s really it for shows for what, 15 years? Plus obviously being financially abused that’s not too bad.

Shes under a personal and financial conservatorship. They could literally cut off her credit and atm cards. I doubt she can legally enter contracts. They could probably cut off her phone.

They could likely cut off visits with her kids and arrest her if she violates it.

She could maybe flee to another country and start performing to make money. Somewhat start anew and challenge conservatorship in like a French or UK court.

What she should do it hire decent lawyers and get the current situation worked out.

1 Like

I honestly think her best path to happiness now is just the minimum amount of she needs to start a family and never have to work again.

If she could sever all the current legal ties and start from there she could could have the best chance to repair her mental health.

She could always come back and just print money. Imagine how popular an album made by middle aged Britney with her writing songs about all the shit she has been through would be.

You think her net worth should be $600 million???

It depends on what you mean by “should”.

I think if we kept her all of her income the same and her finances were optimally managed, I’d expect her to be a hell of a lot closer to $600 million than $60 million.

4 Likes

James Yancey is arguably the greatest hip hop producer of all time. 100% the most talented.

Dude died from complications stemming from lupus with a staggering amount of medical bills.

Just saying you are spot on and I could see a happier ending for Britney.

She has sold about 100 million records. That‘s a lot. Then there is income from airplay, concerts, merchandise, endorsements and investments. I am sure that totals to a hefty sum but I think you might underestimating how much of a cut the record companies, her agents, managers and lawyers get. There are also taxes. Then she will have lots of expenses above and beyond what non-celebrity rich people have like travel for herself and her entourage, personal security, public relations, fashion.

Random google results (take with a grain of salt ldo):
Mick Jagger $360 million
Madonna $860 million
Paul McCartney $1200 million
Tom Cruise $600 million
Eminem $230 million

She paid dad and this scumbag lawyer at least $5M each. There are more lawyers including a guy named Andrew Wallet who was co-conservator for over a decade and who was making around $450k/yr when he quit. I’d guess the absolute minimum everyone has stolen from her is around $20M, but my actual guess would be much higher than that, possibly hundreds of millions.

Additionally, a report this week from the New York Times, pointed to the fact that he also collected portions of her touring revenue—which could explain Spears’ accusations that she was forced to work and perform despite not wanting to or feeling sick. Those payouts for Jamie Spears included 1.5% of the gross ticket and merchandise sales from Britney Spears’ popular Piece of Me residency that ran from 2013–17 in Las Vegas. That show grossed $137.7 million, according to Caesars Entertainment, leaving Jamie Spears’ cut at $2.1 million. The Times also reported that Jamie Spears got a 2.95% commission off of her 2011 Femme Fatale tour. While it’s unclear if that is a percentage of gross revenue or just of Spears’ take-home earnings, he would have made at least $500,000 from the tour.

Eminem has had a ton of tours and recent shows/festival headlining acts, Tom Cruise probably has ~8 movies that have made 100+ million profit since the last time Britney toured.

All the money these days is in touring, that wasn’t the case when Britney was at peak popularity but she’s had one good year for income in 15 years.

I watched the documentary on this a few months ago. Didn’t it say when she had the residency she was making close to a million per show? Might have only been 250k or something I can’t remember.

Exactly my point. If that‘s what it takes to get into the 9 figure range then it‘s no surprise Spears didn‘t make it.

The Grateful Dead played to an estimated 25 million people over their career—more than any other band in history. In 1998, The Guinness Book of World Records certified that the band had played the “most rock concerts ever performed” at the time with 2,318

1 Like

I get that it’s a lot, but there is a lot of fat to cut there. The cutting of which I’d include under optimal financial management.

Women like Beyonce and Rihanna are worth like half a billion give or take. It doesn’t seem crazy to think that Britney could have been up there.

Although I guess if she has literally been doing nothing for the last 15 yrs, then I’d revise my estimate down. But I don’t have a great handle on how much touring brings in (vs other revenue streams like royalties, endorsements, etc.).

She made $100M from 2013 to 2017 on guarantees from the Las Vegas residency alone.

I would say Britney being worth $60M should be at the very low end of the range. Her tours grossed at least $577 million and that’s just what I could find with a simple google search and that number doesn’t include her residencies. Then you add in royalties from records sales and royalties from merchandise. She should be mega mega rich.

Her agency is definitely complicit in all this. Music agents are some of the biggest scumbags on the planet.

2 Likes