Bread Thread

I was joking in regards to goofy’s struggles. Wasn’t a reply to you (and wasnt serious either)

Man i hate baking but i love the mutual support in the baking community.

1 Like

Any chance of a separate bread thread? Would be nice to not have to search through this one.

Stop using the rye imo if it’s too sour. Also warmer ferment (>80) and don’t retard will both also make less sour.

ETA: There’s 2 kinds of activity going on, yeast growth and bacteria growth, and enzyme activity (autolysis). They grow best at different temperatures. The yeast likes the warmest temperature (85 iirc). The bacteria that produces lactic acid likes a warmer temperatures that those that produce acetic acid. So a warm rise will give you a milder, more yogurt like sourness, but with the same loaf, regarding it in the fridge overnight will slow this and the yeast and let the acetic acid producing bacteria grow more.

Huh. What worked for me was feeding twice a day and keeping it at like 85 to 90 (thank you lol Florida) for a week. Fwiw been feeding bread flour only for a few months. Might need some time to rebalance to the yeast that prefer wheat but grow more slowly.

Otoh, are you sure it’s the starter that is too sour? Loaves tend to look pretty good, try putting one in the oven an hour or two after shaping instead of in the fridge.

I had the opposite experience. Started with rye/ww, tapered it down to all bf. It was plenty sour at first but couldn’t get a good rise until after I fed it 2x a day with bf for a week, maybe 2.

If it doesn’t smell good, that’s a problem. Too much of the wrong bacteria I think? If you’re trying a couple different things, maybe start another from scratch. Start with rye for a couple days then by week 2 it’s all bf.

I had sourdough pancakes made by a couple who are currently trying to create an off-the-grid “eco-village” in South Baja, where we rang in the New Year the night before. The woman has a side business selling sourdough bread.

They’re Canadian, so we also had legit maple syrup. Those were the best fucking pancakes I’ve ever had in my life. I even forgave them for being anti-vaxxers, the pancakes were so good.

Is there any way to make commercial type yeast at home instead of sourdough starter? If one did that, it wouldn’t be cheating, right?

Also breadmaker: cheating or just less fun?

+1

Those look professional as fuck.

1 Like

Do you have a convection setting on your oven. It seems like that might be the answer to your problem.

35 minutes is fine. If the crust looks good and its >180 inside you’re done. Every step looks good on this one up to the end.

1 Like

We should defer to greg on this.

It circulates the heat in the oven with a fan so that the temperature is more uniform. It looks like the top is getting too much direct heat from the heating element at the top of the oven.

Because the heat transfer is more efficient, you generally cook stuff at a lower temp than you would with a non-convection oven.

1 Like

Fair point, and if this is the problem you can just lay some tinfoil on top of the bread when you take the lid off.

1 Like

Looks pretty decent for AP imo. Also, what % protein in your ap. You can get 8 or 11 here depending on the brand, makes a huge difference. Next time you try AP instead of BF, try adding a few hours autolysis up front maybe. Might help it develop longer gluten chains. Otoh, BF makes everything easier.
Crust, yeah I get that too, NBD imo.

ETA: The crumb looks like a pretty dry dough. Also the rise after shaping it looks pretty tight. What % hydration is this one? More water you’ll get a more open crumb.

1 Like

I know, right. It almost makes you want to cry that most of it ends up uneaten in a pile in his backyard.

2 Likes

Is it weird that I prefer a softer crust?

Hard crust doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest. When I get a sourdough at a restaurant I generally eat the middle and discard the crust.

1 Like

That’s a good looking bread, but what it really needs is a better photographer.

1 Like

Your post reminded me about a question I had regarding those instagram breads.

Some of them have colored centers. What’s the deal with that? How? Why?

Ok I want to join the “fun”(?).

What equipment is essential? I see sets on amazon from 5 to 20 pieces.

That would be awesome thanks. I have a nice big Dutch oven already.

Day one of this adventure. A brand new starter.