Biggest Assholes of All Time Draft

Wow. Did not see someone campaigning to be drafted itt. No worries cause this thread is for the dead.

i hope it’s obvious I’m just kidding. The thread could be picking best teen heart throbs and names prematurely published would cause angst. It’s the rulez. All in good fun.

1 Like

2 Likes

Y’all got me laughing good. More of this.

I’m rounding the corner, I promise!

Riverman still has not made his pick. I haven’t been this angry since Larry King asked Seinfeld whether he chose to end his show or had been canceled.

Sorry for the delay. With the first pick, I select Alexander III of Macedon, aka Alexander the Grrreat!

Now, on a corpse for corpse basis, there are indeed a few assholes who can boast about a higher total body count. But it’s worth remembering that most of the ancient world was uninhabited empty space, and far fewer people were alive to be ground to pieces by imperious conquerors. When Alexander was acclaimed king, the largest empire in the world was Achaemenid Persia, with a population of around 50 million subjects, and all of “Greece” (not really a thing at the time) had a population not much larger than Ohio, Belgium or Benin. While the exact number of deaths Alexander was responsible for is impossible to determine, the estimates range from half a million to over three million killed, and that puts Alexander’s atrocities, on a relative basis, in the same ballpark as history’s other prolific butchers.

But gross carnage (hehe, two meanings!) is not why I’m choosing Alexander first. I’m choosing him for a few other reasons. To be frank, the first is that I did not want to write about [redacted]. That guy was a real jerk. Plus he doesn’t really fit in my system; @baddraftanalogies, but I wanted the strongest power forward available to pound the paint; I have no need for a puny meth-addled point guard to hit 3s for three quarters and then fade down the stretch. I also wanted to address the need to draft a category 5 asshole who did most of his damage outside of what would become Europe (and has a different legacy beyond the less hostile European assessment), and that Alexander did.

The second reason is that, while judging Alexander to be a giant butt cavity is in line with many contemporary scholars, there are still way too many level 0 dickheads in the world who think he’s Great because everybody calls him ‘the Great’. The one area in which he was undeniably great was being a military commander. Fine, he literally never lost a battle. May have been innovative in siege warfare. But outside of that, there’s scant evidence he had any other Great-worthy abilities.

He inherited one of the most effective and war ready armies ever from his father, so a big brained military reformer he was not. He had the finest tutors, including Aristotle (who was kind of an asshole too), but an enlightened monarch he did not become, preferring ten swigs of wine to one reflective thought. He had no interest in actually ruling anything. What he conquered he left for others to administer. The only governing philosophy was acknowledge him as the King of Kings and keep the money following to fund his next campaign of plunder and slaughter.

Now imagine, allegedly, an utterly worthless buffoon brands himself as cut from the same cloth as Alexander the Great in a Pizza Hut commercial while not knowing a single actual fact about who Alexander was or what he did. When has being so risibly illiterate in history ever hurt anybody? Yeah, even the myth of Alexander is an asshole onto itself.

Warning: May cause severe psychological damage

https://youtu.be/iyqEFUQKczw

The third thing is that the evil that men do lives after them. The Hellenistic period is very interesting and dynamic, but the trends are starkly negative in the aggregate. When Alexander was dying, he supposedly said something like, “fuck it, I’m dying, so bros, the strongest inherits everything”. Cool planning man. You are at least nominally responsible for tens of millions of people and the best you got is: the greediest and most vicious fuckers in the room, fight amongst yourselves for my empire. So now your assbag generals establish perpetually warring dynasties that largely weaken and attrite each other over the next two hundred years, and the cost is paid in blood and taxes by their helpless populations. Same as it ever was I guess, but more than usual.

One very specific consequence I’m going to highlight (and I’m straight-up paraphrasing this excellent podcast episode from this excellent podcast https://literatureandhistory.com/) is the rise in slavery as a result of Alexander’s conquests. So Alexander conquers the known world in about a decade give or take. This introduces a rapid and large influx of slaves into his empire, and slavery becomes an even more integral part of the economies of the post Alexander kingdoms. Slavery begets more slavery, as a small class of people profit handsomely from its existence. Slaves become cheaper and even more expendable and are forced into unimaginably horrific labor. Sure, slavery predated Alexander by thousands of years, but Alexander is the first psycho to take it truly global.

And now I’m just going to quote this passage in full from the source above, because it’s fucking fantastic and kinda beautiful:

I feel that so far I have skimped on some short, easily digestible lowlights of the violence, greed and cruelty attributed to this pick/prick. I’ll start by saying one good? thing about him. He probably didn’t kill his father (his mother probably didn’t either), but let’s get rolling:

• Had his cousins, several princes, and various commanders executed when he became king. Not uncommon, but still, kind of a dick move

• Razed Thebes and sold the survivors into slavery to fund his forthcoming campaign in Asia

• Captured Tyre and sold 30,000 more people into slavery

• Looted and burned the capital city of Persepolis, possibly because he was too drunk to give a fuck

• Bashed people’s heads in on a whim, giving at least one future king so much PTSD that he shook uncontrollably at statues of Alexander (but don’t worry this guy was an asshole too)

• Wanted to form a new race by mixing Macedonians and Persians. Some people interpret this as at least somewhat positive, as it challenged the supremacy and xenophobia of his native culture, but like, all those forced marriages, doesn’t sound super consensual to me!

• The long-term effects of his conquests made life so miserable for poor people in the region that some suggest it laid the groundwork for Christianity. Bonus.

• Did I mention he thought he was the son of Zeus, and he did all of this shit to prove he was greater than Achilles who was uh… a fictional character?

Lastly, I think Alexander by Oliver Stone is underrated and Colin Farrell wasn’t bad at all (and Val Kilmer is the GOAT, f off haters). I have no comment about Richard Burton’s portrayal because I have not seen it. But if you’re not yet persuaded that this Alexander dude was a buffet full of bad news, I’ll ask you to close your eyes and just imagine him being played by a self-obsessed actor who was so vain he could barely share the spotlight with another fictional character in the same franchise. Now open your eyes.

Summary

14 Likes

fact

1 Like

Excellent writeup

2 Likes

So wait I’m not up? How? It’s been a day since the last pick.

You should try posting it now.

1 Like

I’m writing mine up now, will post in an hour either way. Gotta get this moving.

Who’s drafting Riverman?

1 Like

riverman, taking way longer than he is supposed to in order to complete a simple task he publicly committed to and holding up the entire community in the process???

4 Likes

Yea just say the name and do the write up later.

So do we set a time limit? Also, do we put it on hold for Christmas?

I don’t know if we need a hard time limit, but I’d say if someone has been given the @ that it is their turn and has been posting in like a dozen other threads on the site, it’s probably okay to skip them.

1 Like

Someone’s going to get a real bargain if they’re going best asshole available, but I didn’t want to move off who I’d already picked.

I select widely celebrated mass murderer, torturer, rapist, slave master and piss-poor navigator Christopher Columbus.

So we all learned the story in grade school, right? In fourteen hundred ninety-two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue… Looking for a shortcut to India, he accidentally discovers the present-day Caribbean and tells everyone in Europe about the New World. Such a brave voyage! Such a noble discovery!

What you never read in school, of course, is what his voyages meant for the people he discovered – not fit for any children’s textbook: When Columbus discovered there was gold on Hispaniola, he forced the indigenous Taino to bring it to him every three months as a form of tribute. Everyone who did was given a token to wear…everyone who didn’t had their hands cut off and were left to die.

And those people may have been the lucky ones. Details of other atrocities are taken directly from firsthand accounts of Columbus’ genocide:

• People were “roasted on spits and burned at the stake”;
  • Children were “hacked into pieces”;
  • Columbus’ men would “make bets as to who would slit a man in two or cut off his head at one blow… or they opened up his bowels. They tore the babes from their mother’s breast by their feet and dashed their heads against the rocks… They ‘splitted’ the bodies of other babes, together with their mothers… on their swords.”
  • They raped pretty much every native woman they could find, of course. Forced many of them into sexual bondage. And not just women – Columbus himself wrote that “girls… from 9-10… are… in demand.”
  • There was slavery, too! “When our caravels … were to leave for Spain, we gathered … 1,600 male and female ‘Indians’ … on Feb. 17, 1495 … (and) we let it be known… that … (any of the sailors) who wanted to take … them could do so.”

Of course, Columbus kept going back to Spain, lying that he actually HAD found a shortcut to India and telling his benefactors that everything was hunky-dory to get more money to fund more genocidal voyages. By the time he was finally brought up on charges for all his atrocities, the 8,000,000 indigenous people living on the islands Columbus found were just 100,000. And he opened the floodgates for every other two-bit conquistador who wanted a piece of what Columbus had found (but we’ll save those assholes for another day).

And despite all that, his name is EVERYWHERE. Columbus/Columbia is ubiquitous. Countries, cities, lakes, rivers, counties, a US federal district, a Canadian province, an Ivy League university, a major film studio and record label, a space shuttle, his own goddamn DAY…this asshole had an entire hemisphere basically named after him! And unlike the Civil War statues, that shit is never going away. We are stuck having to commemorate one of the worst people to ever live for all eternity.

Happy Indigenous Peoples Day, everyone.

@Riverman is skipped, @LFS is up.

19 Likes

That’s the shit I came here for. Might be the top pick yet of a draft in which literal Hitler has been drafted.

3 Likes

Let’s not extend deadlines on Xmas. If you need to make your write-up later or get skipped, c’est la vie.

Imo!

Via one of his sons that fathered innumerable kids he is in the direct lineage big fraction of Hispaniola, (DR side).

(This is according to a Dominican friend, looks like the scholars have a big pissing contest on both Columbuses actual heritage and subsequent family tree).