Biden thread III: Still Robinette after all these years

Nah, we’re definitely also perverts.

1 Like

Darth Brandon confirmed

I don’t think I’ve seen a news article talking about the US supporting union rights internationally, ever

The US government raised concerns with Germany about alleged union-busting in Alabama by Mercedes-Benz Group AG, an unusual move that escalates scrutiny on the automaker’s handling of a high-stakes unionization campaign that heads to a vote next week.

Officials recently spoke about allegations by the United Auto Workers against Mercedes that include firing union activists and holding a mandatory meeting at which an executive discouraged unionization, according to a US government official familiar with the discussion. The conversation included commitments that the governments will work together to promote unions and employee rights, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity to describe sensitive communications.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-05-06/mercedes-union-vote-latest-us-raises-alleged-union-busting-to-germany?accessToken=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJzb3VyY2UiOiJTdWJzY3JpYmVyR2lmdGVkQXJ0aWNsZSIsImlhdCI6MTcxNTAyNDczNywiZXhwIjoxNzE1NjI5NTM3LCJhcnRpY2xlSWQiOiJTRDBUMzREV1JHRzAwMCIsImJjb25uZWN0SWQiOiJDQThGQ0Y4NkY1QjY0ODlCODA4ODkwNTFBNjMxRERBRCJ9.RH2MYawANr8vY3VeUf9dLDwd12u6qM3FBRZBfLLgH6Y

Biden is going to lose the election because of Israel/Gaza. And what’s crazy is that he’s going to lose tons of votes from people on both sides of the issue. We know he’s going to lose a metric fuckton of the youth vote because the US is funding Israel (because, you know, any other president would be so different), but he’s also going to use a lot of pro-Israel vote because they don’t think he’s doing enough to aid Israel.

2 Likes

What if he can negotiate a ceasefire deal before the election?

That’s his only hope. He’s still going to lose votes, but hopefully not too many in that case.

I don’t thunk this is true. 538 this week said it’s hard to get to 10% of people who view this as their first issue. Right now it is getting massively overblown media coverage. 6 months from now it could easily be a historic memory.

1 Like

The problem with it blowing over by election day is a best case scenario is a long term IDF occupation with a couple raids or airstrikes a week. That will provide more than enough grist for Palestinian supporters to keep screaming “genocide” on social media.

He’s not going to lose a ton of votes, but he may lose enough votes that would have swung 2020 to Trump no matter what he does. You’re hoping the American people are smart enough to not make this as close as 2020 again.

I don’t think it’s an issue of smart enough. I just don’t think Americans care enough to swing their vote on a population level. Only a very tiny fraction of the population will ever vote on this issue.

My point is that 2020 swung on around 20k votes in Wisconsin and it’s not crazy to think this issue might affect enough votes even if it doesn’t affect a lot of votes. Even if it isn’t a priority issue, it contributes to an overall negative vibe, some created by pro-Israel interest groups seeking to influence the election, that turns some voters off.

When you’ve lost the Macklemore vote…

1 Like

Equivalent of gaining 1 more vote for Trump. Like he’ll be better :roll_eyes:

It’s a fucking rock and a hard place w these two old fuckers depending on your issue.

1 Like

I need someone to explain this to me. In every way that Biden is bad, Trump is worse, and Trump is terrible in many ways that Biden is not. Even if you start with the idea that things cannot get worse for the people in Gaza, things sure as hell can get a whole lot worse for the rest of that region, women, LGBTQ people, Ukraine, world relations in general, etc etc etc. How the fuck is this a rock and a hard place.

6 Likes

The comparison isn’t trump vs Biden. It’s Biden versus any other dem.

I prolly expressed it wrongly.
Trump is far worse in basically every single way, but people still want to protest at certain Biden actions, not just roll along with “Trump bad so stay with Joe”.

In November, the comparison is absolutely Trump vs Biden.

4 Likes

I’ll rephrase:
Macklemore is fine to criticize Biden in a song.
But he’s an idiot to say he won’t vote for him vs Trump.

3 Likes

Obviously but the grumbling now is more along the lines of “are these the two best we have”.

1 Like