Biden thread III: Still Robinette after all these years

Biden should arrange the debate at Four Seasons Total Landscaping

14 Likes

Correct response = “LOL, sure, says the guy who doesn’t even have the freedom to see his son’s graduation or his wife’s birthday.”

‘Ok, we’ll do it at Barron’s graduation ceremony’

6 Likes

Yes, this is much better (and was what I eventually got to in my head, but not as quick as you). It’d be such an A+ troll.

https://x.com/dougjballoon/status/1783886101427478955?s=46&t=9xanL2tZoKj22erGoTuL4A

12 Likes

Driving isn’t cheap either. You can find rt flights as low as $60, which is cheaper than driving unless you have an electric car or 3+ people traveling. Flights are usually less than $100 which is cheaper than driving for most solo drivers.

The train is probably not going to be a reasonable choice for most people because of price.

This is suddenly big news. I don’t really see it but ok, it does feel like a slow day.

https://x.com/Acyn/status/1784997977087762544

“The Drug Enforcement Administration is expected to approve an opinion by the Department of Health and Human Services that marijuana should be reclassified from the most strict Schedule I to the less stringent Schedule III, marking the first time that the U.S. government would acknowledge its potential medical benefits and begin studying them in earnest.”

8 Likes

How much will this impact federal law enforcement efforts? You would think a lot but nothing is a given.

My hunch is that criminal enforcement probably won’t change a ton right away.

1. My understanding is that enforcement of normal possession was already a pretty low priority at the federal level unless you were running large amounts across state lines or if there was violence directly associated with the trade. They will still probably continue to go after that stuff even as they back off lower level offenses.

2. Most charges are brought at the state level, and I don’t think that would change right away (although the federal change should make the environment more favorable for continued changes in at least some states), but it would have an impact in places where there is lots of federal property (cough DC cough) where it’s easier to catch a federal case for small amounts.

That being said, it does seem like it will make it easier for scientist to study it for medical use, and legal businesses in regulated states should have an easier time accessing financial markets (and may get tax cuts if they can start claiming business deductions).

3 Likes
1 Like

https://x.com/AP/status/1785355350721376726

the issue with any criminalization of marijuana at all is the effect it has on people on probation. like all the conservatives love to talk about how there aren’t many people in prison for simple possession of marijuana, which is true. but there are likely TONS of people in prison for probation violations involving marijuana that aren’t charged as such.

a typical strategy when i was prosecuting was to file an application to revoke or accelerate a probation sentence based on a police contact over marijuana. we would set the plea deal to include dismissing the marijuana charge if they immediately agreed to go in for a portion of their initial sentence on the initial charge.(or if it was an acceleration if they agreed to a conviction on the initial charge.) that isn’t likely getting picked up on any of those statistics of “in prison for marijuana charge” things, but they are in prison because marijuana is illegal…

if they refused the plea we would simply do an Application hearing rather than even try the marijuana charge. an App hearing doesn’t have the same rules of evidence and i can just basically use the police report to put you in on a violation of probation.

that’s a lot of words to basically say as progressives/leftists/liberals we need to push for full legalization not just half measures to actually help people the way we would want to help people. or else it will still be used to selectively attack people of color and poor people.

3 Likes

Does that apply to prescription drugs, which marijuana now is? I know a person who was arrested for possessing Ritalin.

i would assume most states will follow suit since the schedule system that i’ve seen are basically the same. it would now just fall under laws for possession of schedule II substances which is still a misdemeanor in my jurisdiction unless you have a prescription.

if you’re on say a 4 yr suspended for something, and you get caught with a schedule II misdemeanor you’re still going in prison on a portion if not the rest of that 4 most likely. and i’d do the app hearing first before even bothering with trying you on a misdemeanor because i dont need a conviction on the misdemeanor to put you in on the application.

1 Like

I agree that leaving cannabis scheduled at all is a mistake but I believe this action reclassifies as schedule 3, not 2. I don’t know the legal differences, but it’s codeine and steroids vs oxycontin and cocaine.

Good small step but it’s super weird they wouldn’t look to us in Canada and see we have had fully legalized pot for years with as best as I can tell zero downside and lots of upside.

I don’t even use but it seems pretty obvious.

1 Like

Zero downside?
Having the main street in every town and city have every other store be a weed dispensary seems like a major downside.

Why? They are all nice looking and discrete. Just seem like every other store no?

Never bothered me. Seems like innocuous tax base.

I guess the one downside is I hate the smell but that seems minor.