Biden thread III: Still Robinette after all these years

006d7385d553b88d4bb54b2332e865dd

2 Likes

Less than I would have guessed, though I guess for most presidents the grift comes after the term (Trump an obvious exception)

I took a look at the return. A nontrivial part of his income is from pensions from his prior government work plus social security. He has zero dividend income, which makes sense because he said he doesn’t invest in stocks.

1 Like

Since DeJoy came up in this thread a few days ago. Here he is in a senate hearing saying lol mail.

https://x.com/QondiNtini/status/1780278152373117213

Longer version

https://x.com/SenOssoff/status/1780261369515815332

Lol speak into the microphone

1 Like

Would love to see the stats on how many Republican voters would support a blanket ban on childhood vaccinations.

David Ellison, the son of Republican megadonor Larry Ellison, gave $929,600 to back the re-election efforts of President Joe Biden, putting him among the top recent donors to the incumbent Democrat.

David Ellison’s donation is the largest recorded contribution that the Skydance Media CEO ever made to a federal candidate, according to Federal Election Commission records.

His contribution in February to the Biden Victory Fund is tied with other large contributors in the first quarter of 2024.

Others who gave the same amount as David Ellison in that quarter include the attorney George Conway, who is a leading critic of former President Donald Trump, and Facebook co-founder Dustin Moskowitz.

And yet he makes enough money to put food on the family table. Curious.

So DeJoy is some rich guy that donated to Trump, so that’s how he has this job. But can someone explain to me why someone would pay millions for the privilege of running the USPS?

Like I understand wanting to the ambassador to Aruba, but what’s the appeal of running the USPS?

If your goal is to destroy the USPS, it makes a lot of sense. USPS employs a ton of minorities and gives them good benefits. Right-wingers hate that.

1 Like

I think his business competes with the postal service, so wrecking it is good for him.

His career prior to the USPS was in private logistics companies, and he’s still massively invested and connected to companies that contract and/or compete with the USPS.

Boy, that still seems like an awfully time intensive and convoluted path to making a few extra bucks. Wouldn’t you be better off just having Trump nominate some hand picked puppet?

He is the hand picked puppet. Also it doesn’t seem that convoluted. He was already positioned with a huge amount of his net worth in companies that depend heavily on USPS policy, nobody will direct policy to his benefit with better precision than himself, and the current political climate will excuse nearly any conflict of interest (certainly when he was appointed but even now).

Years ago, I used to write book reviews from time to time and that resulted in me getting tons of mailers from various publishers. For the longest time I would get catalogs from the Cato institute of all places. Generally these went straight in the trash, but once I read through it and at they time they were printing no fewer then four different monographs calling for the abolition of the Post Office. Ironically not the most efficient allocation of their resources imo, but I guess we all have our priorities.

the real koan is figuring out how to respond to these letters without using the postal system

I do think that if you are a libertarian think-tank that you should be ineligible for reduced media mail rates, but what can you do?

The real enemy of USPS is Amazon.

Stop using Amazon.

https://twitter.com/PrernaJagadeesh/status/1782484055625269741?t=eZA4Qmw6YEQfEY2zCIihnQ&s=19

4 Likes