***Best Simpsons Episodes of All Time Draft***

Taking a bit of a detour from the Homer’s Career Adventures theme here to highlight someone who doesn’t get the lead nearly as often as the rest of the Simpson clan…

"Marge on the Lam"

Marge gets tickets to the ballet, but Homer gets stuck at work, so Marge takes neighbor Ruth Powers (last seen in season 4’s “New Kid on the Block”). They strike up an unlikely friendship and go out another night, which leads them on a Thelma and Louise riff of an adventure in a stolen car, and odd couple Homer and Wiggum trying to track them down. And while all that is going on, Lionel Hutz is babysitting the kids.

Another one just packed full of memorable lines and moments. And maybe the finest Lionel Hutz appearance ever. And on the character side, it’s one of the best episodes at showing why Marge is so necessary to the Simpson family, who pretty quickly fall apart without her.

A few of my favorite highlights:

• I’ve never related to Homer more than his reaction to Garrison Keillor.
  • “Edward the Penitent,” another good parody of PBS-style TV
  • What Homer thinks ballet is (and Lenny confirming it later)
  • Homer getting trapped in two vending machines
  • “They’ll grow back, right? Uh… yeah!”
  • “D’oh! Lumber has a million uses.”
  • “Don’t worry, you’ll feel better once we put your hair in curlers and give you a makeover, Homina.” “Oh, that would be delightf– quiet, boy!”
  • Homer trying to call his friends for a “girl’s night out”
  • “Mr. Simpson, I was just going through your garbage, and I couldn’t help but overhearing that you need a babysitter.”
  • “Blast that infernal card!”
  • SH T KICKERS
  • “Look at him, he’s wearing a belt! That’s Hollywood for you.”
  • “My cans, my precious antique cans!”
  • Wiggum’s moonshine still
  • The “Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows” callback
  • Homer imagining “A lot of blue hair? What a freak!”
  • “She’s become a crazed criminal because I didn’t take her to the ballet!” That’s exactly how Dillinger got started." “Really.”
  • “Hold me. Only if you hold me.”
  • “Sticking together is what good waffles do!”
  • “You stupid kid! You know that drives away all my business!”
  • “Quiet, I can’t hear the eggs.”
  • “Don’t touch my stuff! Hey, this isn’t the YMCA.”
  • Kent Brockman’s meltdown (“IT’S IN REVELATIONS, PEOPLE!”)
  • “Oh my God! They’re gonna drive right into it just to teach us men a lesson!”
  • The Dragnet-style ending

In conclusion,

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

@mjiggy is up

And god I’ve said this about so many Simpsons moments and clips but if there’s one that comes closest to sheer perfection this is it.

5 Likes

On the one hand, some of ya’ll are moving too fast and your encyclopedic knowledge and memory of episodes is putting the rest of us to shame. On the other hand, there’s going to be a vote at the end (I think?) and so I’m going to keep grabbing those fan favorites. I’ve also got a couple of minor themes going through my picks and this one fits in. With my fourth selection I choose Season 6 Episode 18 A Star is Burns. Working on my write up now but will throw it to @Nicholasp27 and @RiskyFlush to update the picks.

Is everyone saying “Boo” because they wanted this episode or are you saying “Boo-urns”?

Marge comes up with the idea for Springfield to have a film festival which brings film critic Jay Sherman to town. Of course Mr. Burns decides he has to win and has an epic film produced, portraying him as the hero. Each film is basically it’s own hilarious joke except for Barney’s insightful black and white short that depicts his alcoholism. After he wins he swears to never touch another drink…first prize is a lifetime supply of Duff beer. “Just hook it to my veins!”

“Let’s just say his film moved me…TO A BIGGER HOUSE. Oops I said the quiet part loud and the loud part quiet.”

Homer of course likes the film of Hans Moleman getting hit in the groin by a football. “It’s over, give that man the ten thousand dollars!” “This isn’t Amercia’s Funniest Home Videos.” “His groin…the ball. It works on so many levels!”

Wow I forgot that “That’s the joke” was even from this episode. Also another joke I forgot that currently has me in tears of laughter: *“My car gets 40 rods to the hog’s head, and that’s the way I like it!” “The old man’s remarks will be stricken from the record!”

4 Likes

A great episode. Barney’s film is elite stuff.

1 Like

Ugh, don’t have time today so I’ll take City of NY vs Homer Simpson and write it up in a new post this evening.

I know there is some controversy around this post-9/11 so maybe this is too soon

5 Likes

Lost count of how many times I’ve used this joke

1 Like

Great choices there, almost exclusively because they arent snipes of mine.

Gotta fade just a few more. I realllllllly want my desired 4th rounder

I’ll wait on my next one until tonight

Btw I just realized this isnt conpletely true. I doubt it gets drafted but there is 1 episode in seasons 4-8 that is decidedly not great. Remind me to post it when we are all finished here.

Tonight?

But but but… now is better

Ya I’ll wait for Nick

TEH DRAFT (ping @RiskyFlush to update the table)
Search term: Draft Chartz

1 Like

Nick selected didnt he?

Seems polite to wait for the write up

I think the point of posting the selection without the write-up was so that other picks could be made.

Otherwise, why post the pick at all?

1 Like

This was my thought