***Best Simpsons Episodes of All Time Draft***

Bonus content mostly from this episode:

https://twitter.com/RuckCohlchez/status/1268382144306397189

3 Likes

@jmakin is up if he’s still here

Gonna be about 4-5 hours from now

So many of the best moments from this episode make great GIFs. Really this episode has a lot of kinetic fun in a way The Simpsons doesn’t always do:

4 Likes

“Street signs indoors? Hah, whatever!”

1 Like

Rather than write up my episode and not give it its proper due I’ll post this and try to find some quotes: “Mr Plow at 25”

I feel like upon rewatching this episode recently it didn’t have as many great jokes or lines as you might expect of a “classic”. However, much like it’s signature jingle, there’s something about it that stays with you. Also as a current Tucson resident I had to take the episode with our most famous resident, Linda Rondstadt. From the article, Dan Castellaneta won an Emmy on this episode for his voicing of both Homer and Barney.

The idea, that Homer buys a massive truck and pays for it by becoming Springfield’s snow removal hero, was born out of a single desire: Writer Jon Vitti wanted to meet Adam West.

Smith: Homer became a much more multifaceted, marshmallow-hearted man in later episodes. And I think this is the first time we crept up to that line, but we still didn’t cross it. So, he maintains some of that edge to him.
Castellaneta: It was the first time they used Barney not as a gag, but as a full-blown character.
Smith: I love that this is the episode where we find out how Barney became an alcoholic. It is such a heartbreaking moment.

I love the gag of Homer turning the radio dial to keep his truck from falling over the cliff

2 Likes

Why doesnt Batman dance anymore? Remember the Batusi?

1 Like

I have a theory that Conan O’Brien is pretty much responsible for Adam West’s late-career revival, between this episode and this:

I haven’t seriously watched the Simpsons in a looooooooooooooong time, but all of these picks remind me that when it’s great, it’s unstoppable.

1 Like

I submit a show has never and will never have a consecutive streak of untouchable episodes as the simpsons did from S4-S8. That’s over 100 episodes of non stop bangers, without a single miss (clip shows do not count). Its an unprecedented accomplishment.

1 Like

Also its stupid crazy how pretty much every episode is still relevant today nearly 30 years later

1 Like

The article I posted also comes to this conclusion.

I’ve probably never given enough thought to the fact that people had to write and produce these episodes and they didn’t just magically appear in, like, perfect form. Really is sort of staggering when you make this realization.

1 Like

Continuing with the 2020 theme… I bring you my 3rd pick, Season 8 Ep. 10, "The Springfield Files."

2020 had everything… including actual ALIENS! https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/27/politics/pentagon-ufo-videos/index.html Well, a UFO anyway. In this episode, Homer believes he has discovered an alien in springfield.

Oh man I already had to pause because there’s so much good stuff in the first minute.

Leonard Nimoy guest spot! “The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It’s all lies. But they’re entertaining lies. And in the end, isn’t that the real truth? The answer is: No.”

Poignant, lol.

Homer describing the movie “speed” to his coworkers and saying “I think it was called ‘the bus that couldn’t slow down’” hahaha. It made me laugh extra hard because I actually had to google “bus that couldn’t slow down movie” to remember the name of that dang thing.

Burns - “What’ll you be doing on this friday, smithers? Something gay, I suppose?” Smithers - “Wh- what?”

millhouse’s video game immediately getting a game over for no reason after he inserted 40 quarters into the machine

“Mmm, needs more dog.”

Jesus I’m noticing there is a lot of jokes about homer drinking and driving in these earlier seasons. I guess that wasn’t really frowned upon as much in those days.

HAHA homer screaming at “DIE” then screaming louder at the word “DIET”

Wow, they were allowed to just play the x-files theme? later edit: I didn’t realize x-files was a fox show.

“It’s just that everyone who claims they saw an alien are always pathetic lowlifes with boring jobs. Oh… thank you, uh, dad.”

“The alien has a sweet heavenly voice… Like urkel! And he appears every friday night… like Urkel!”

Oh, scully and mulder are guest starring. That explains the x-files theme song.

Lol disney would go after fox so hard for the chewbacca reference.

Lie detector test - “Do you understand?” Homer - “Yes” machine blows up

Homer thinks apollo creed went to the moon

“Now son, you don’t wanna drink beer, that’s for daddies and kids with fake id’s.”

hahahaha all their camping gear has ned flanders labels

“It’s bringing love! don’t let it escape” angry mob descends on the alien

Haha the burns twist at the end. I enjoyed this episode, I never had seen it before.

Next one coming soonish

2 Likes

Another good choice, but my most 2020 episode still hasn’t been picked

standing by

Fuck sorry man I celebrated a little bit too hard tonight. It’s slow right now. I also had a long day and am having trouble concentrating.

Episode is “Trash of the Titans” S9 E22. I will edit in my writeup.

1 Like

That’s been taken (Thin_Slicing round 2)

Ok damn. Sorry, my bad. Should have checked the list today.

Alright I’m under pressure so I’m going with somewhat of an unorthodox pick outside of season 10 threshold - “The Computer Wore Menace Shoes" Season 12 E6

This is a real sleeper episode that has so many easy references to what’s been going on in the last year it’s kind of crazy. Here is the synopsis:

Homer discovers the Internet and starts his own web page, where he calls himself Mr. X and begins revealing Springfield’s secrets. When it is announced that Mr. X’s work has won a Pulitzer Prize, Homer reveals himself in order to claim the prize. However, with his identity as Mr. X now public, Homer can no longer obtain any secrets as no one will say anything while he is around. Homer then begins making up stories to put on his web page. When one of those stories turns out to be the truth, he is captured and taken to “The Island”, a place where those who know too much are taken out of society.

Homer’s online identity is “mister X” which has shades of Q. Everyone in springfield is just dying to know who Mr. X is as homer spills all these secrets. I laughed really really really hard at one scene in which Homer is trying to get a scoop, and overhears Krusty confessing a really scandalous crime while Apu was confessing that all the bagels in springfield are just old stale donuts. Homer of course thinks thinks the scandal is about the bagels, and wiggum as a precautionary measure seizes every “bagel, pastry, bear claw, and bagel” in the entire city “for evidence.” LOL. I loved that whole sequence.

When homer runs out of scoops, he starts making shit up, including stuff about vaccines, which everyone takes as fact. Anti-vaxx propaganda on the internet? This episode has a lot of similarities to stuff that’s going on today, and this is a 20 year old episode. Pretty trippy. I really thought it was interesting how it kind of predicted how the internet would shape society, and this was in the very early 00’s when the world wide web was still kind of in its infancy. Very prophetic.

On the island part of the episode it gets very cerebral and trippy. Eventually we find out homer was taken there because his anti-vaxx propaganda was actually true and they didn’t want the truth getting out. Then at the end of the episode the 4th wall is broken and the viewer is hit with the toxic gas that was a gag throughout the episode. I watched this after I had smoked and this whole episode was trippy as hell. I recommend it.

2 Likes

All right I’ll work on my writeup. I don’t think mine will be particularly unconventional