***Best Simpsons Episodes of All Time Draft***

I’m trying to go with a theme here, because I think people are gonna take all the good eps. My next one is definitely considered an all time great.

1 Like

My #3 and #6 are on the board and I’m thinking of taking #6 first because I think it’s more likely to be sniped. Not sure if I’m wrong on #3 making it to my third pick, but I’m almost certain #6 won’t.

Never been a big fan of the “people are unnecessarily cruel to OFF” episodes-- there are two more from the classic years I’m thinking of-- and “Marge in Chains” kinda turns me off for that reason, although there are a lot of good bits and a substantial Lionel Hutz appearance. (The mayor of Austin literally did the Mayor Quimby thing in that clip.)

1 Like

Leggo

ezgif-7-e764c6617636

3 Likes

1 incredibly obvious fan favorite that I’m stunned hasn’t been picked yet

2 Likes

my next writeup may have to wait til i get back from the gym, around 9:30 MST or so. should have the pick ready though.

Season 7, Episode 7 “King sized Homer.”

This is a no brainer for my 2020 theme. It centers around homer getting disability and working from home. Not surprisingly, WFH didn’t go well for him.

Immediately hilarious. Homer hiding in the bathroom and screaming hysterically as he is dragged out by some goons. “I’ve never seen anyone so desperate to get out of 5 minutes of calisthenics.” HOMER FAT jokes always make me laugh hard.

Homer tries to get on disability. “Stupidity, ehhhh?”

“Look at it my way, sweetie - all my life I’ve been an obese man trapped in a fat man’s body.”

Dr. Nick “Heyy, did you go to upstairs hollywood medical college too?”

The test for whether homer should eat something to gain weight is if he rubs it on a piece of paper and the grease makes it see through.

Homer thinks he lost weight until he removes his gut from the towel rack. Lmao

He finally hits 300 lbs and achieves his “dream”, “work from home”

Homer sinking all the way into the bed and marge falls on top of him. “Hello honey!” Funnier when you watch the scene.

Homer weighing himself and is just shy of 300. Maggie hands him some playdough and Homer is dismissive, but Bart tells him it’s non toxic. “Oh, that’s a relief!” Homer says as he is already halfway through eating the play “D’oh!” We find out he had the stomach on the towel rack issue again and is actually 315. His giggling after that made me laugh. “Oooh, hoo hoo, oh my, hehe”

They install a remote work terminal in Homer’s living room.

Lmao as he walks into a big and tall, the salesperson notices homer’s girth. “Work, huh? Let me guess, computer programmer? Computer magazine columnist? Something with computers…” I resent this stereotype.

Homer settles on a mumu, probably the funniest visual gag of this entire series.

“8:58, the earliest I’ve ever been to work! Except for all those stupid daylight savings days. Stupid farmers”

at his workstation - “Press any key.” “I don’t see the any key!” as he looks everywhere for the “any” key. This is something I’d do. Calls the pg up key “Pig up.”

“All this computer hacking is making me thirsty!” Presses “tab” expecting tab soda. This whole scene cracked me up.

At the end of a triumphant speech - “AND WHERE’S THAT CAKE?” LOL

He finds out he can just press Y instead of typing out yes. “Hey, ms doesn’t find me sexually attractive anymore, I’ve just tripled my work productivity!”

Eventually figures out he can just type Y repeatedly and get his job done. Quickly gets bored, then the mailman comes. “THE MAIL! THE MAIL IS HERE!” and gets super excited. This one cut a little too deep, I have felt that exact sentiment this year.

Homer hitting the Y key with a broomstick handle as he watches tv reminds me of me at work sometimes trying to hit my keyboard to prevent my computer from sleeping.

He then automates his job with a woodpecker toy that hits the y key repeatedly.

“I just came here to see ‘Honk if you’re horny!’”

“The fingers you have used to dial are too fat”

Burns leading the calisthenics is pretty funny.

Homer stops a core meltdown by falling into a hole and getting stuck.

“You’ve turned a potential chernobyl into a mere 3 mile island!”

“For once dad’s butt prevented the release of toxic gas!”

Visual gag - homer’s dangling naked legs being decontaminated below by guys in hazmat suits.

Ok that’s it for me. Hopefully these picks weren’t too boring.

13 Likes

Not what I expected but “King Size Homer” fucking rules, just so many great bits and jokes in it. “I warsh myself with a rag on a stick,” and Bart chasing Lisa with the imaginary rag is such great little-kid humor.

@mjiggy are you here? I’ll leave my pick here if you are since I won’t be able to write it up in full for a couple of hours.

2 Likes

I might be able to kick together something like this eventually. Not sure how long it would have to be or how many episodes I’d write up specifically vs. my general impressions of the show then vs. now. I’ll put some thought into what it would look like and how long it might take me-- I’ve been taking a little break the last couple of weeks because I did a ton of writing in December to publish some stuff right at the end / beginning of the year.

1 Like

Yea, we could use a running list of episodes picked. I’m following the thread, but I ain’t gonna remember.

so far picked I have (not in order)

Last Exit to Springfield
Deep Space Homer
Marge vs. the Monorail
Homer at the Bat
Cape Feare
King-Size Homer
Homer’s Barbershop Quartet
Homer’s Enemy
Marge in Chains

1 Like

Those are all the picks, not just mine. I’ve only picked “Deep Space Homer.” We’re on round 2, pick 2 right now, me on the clock.

1 Like

Yeah I should’ve been more clear. “This is what has been picked according to the list I’m keeping” is what I meant.

1 Like

Lemme grab it all into a handy draft table brb

1 Like

I think take your time, I’m around but don’t really have a pick lined up.

Love the fat homer episode

Meh, I got it done while I was getting ready. Out the door now.

It’s a classic and a fan favorite and I’m surprised it hasn’t been picked yet:

“Homer Goes to College”

Another of Homer’s Wacky Adventures, this one written by Conan O’Brien and spurred on by, as Homer puts it, “I’m gonna lose my job just because I’m dangerously unqualified!” After somehow causing a nuclear accident in a test simulator with no nuclear material, Homer has to go back to college and pass nuclear physics 101 to get certified and keep his job. Homer, naturally, takes all his ideas from campus life from 80s Animal House knockoffs, and tries to live that college life accordingly, even dragging his hopelessly nerdy tutors into the mix (and, of course, getting them expelled).

Let me just list some of the great gags:

• Bee-guarding (including “The bee bit my bottom and now my bottom’s big!”)
  • “The box! The box!”
  • School of Hard Knockers with Corey Masterson
  • Burns giving someone the beating of his life
  • Homer spiking the punch
  • The dean being a chill guy and Homer being unable to process this information
  • Homer causing a nuclear accident at the school (“In there, guys.” “Thanks, Homer.”)
  • “Hello, dean? You’re a stupid-head!”
  • “Mr. Simpson? Gary spilled his ear medicine.”
  • “I have to go to the bathroom.” “You just went!” “Yeah, but someone knocked on the door so I couldn’t go.”
  • “WHOA! They’ll NEVER let us show that again!”
  • “Hello, that sounds like a pig fainting!”
  • “And then we roll him up in a carpet and throw him off a bridge! Hee-hee!”
  • “Should we correct for wind resistance?” WHACK “Uh-oh.”
  • “Well, dean, I’m really sorry for the running-you-over prank.”
  • “Let’s just say I had some help from a little magic box.” “You changed your grades with a computer?”
  • The closing montage of Homer and the nerds par-ty-ing down

Check out this article from Dead Homers Society detailing some of the delightful animation choices this show used to do at its best.

In conclusion,

6 Likes

Nice, that was in my original draft, until I went with the theme, thinking I’d get sniped. Woops. I love at the end when they are trying to find a good moral to the story and can’t find one.

1 Like
Player Episode 1 Episode 2 Episode 3 Episode 4 Episode 5
CanadaMatt3004 Last Exit to Springfield
Thin_Slicing Homer’s Barbershop Quartet
eyebooger Cape Feare
grue Marge vs the Monorail
Nicholasp27 Homer’s Enemy
mjiggy Homer at the Bat You Only Move Twice
R.C. Deep Space Homer Homer Goes to College
jmakin Marge in Chains King-Sized Homer
3 Likes

Smithers, dismember the corpse and send his widow a corsage.

4 Likes

I love Homer clicking his heels after he turns his final in. Of course he fails.

2 Likes

I’m too tired for a full write up but Wednesdays tend to be busy for me so I’ll just submit my pick now and write it up as we go along so that we can keep moving.

Maybe I’m overrating this episode a pinch but it’s one that always comes to mind when I think of my personal favorite episodes: “You Only Move Twice”, in which Homer gets recruited by the apparent supervillian Hank Scorpio to take a job and move his family along with him. Homer actually does great at the job but his family struggles in their new environment: Marge starts drinking wine because she’s so bored in her fully automated home, Lisa has terrible allergies, and Bart is put into a remedial class because his Springfield education has left him so far behind. “Sounds like someone has a case of the ‘sposed tas’” is one of my favorite line and one that I use frequently…to no response.

@Nicholasp27 is next

10 Likes